Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Missing Piece:Re-Handicapping the Field

The Missing Piece:Re-Handicapping the Field

Our first ‘Missing Piece’ of the season introduced all of our possible options and handicapped the field, so now that we are halfway through the season, I felt it was right to revisit and re-handicap the field. Things are a little more complicated this time around, but in a good way. At the beginning of the season, it appeared that the Hornets had massive holes at the point guard and small forward positions, but Vasquez and Aminu have been solid starters as of late, and they are making a case that they are the long-term answers at those positions. In other words- Maybe ‘The Missing Piece’ isn’t missing, maybe they are already here.

But even if Dell Demps picks up all the player options this summer and gives Aminu a reasonable contract, the Hornets will still go into the offseason with over $10 million dollars in salary cap space and, most likely, a lottery pick. Prior to the season, Dell Demps and Monty Williams both said that they would likely add one more significant piece before the 2013-14 season and then move forward with that group. There is no reason to believe that a couple of months of solid play by two young, but limited young vets will change their thought process. Additions and/or upgrades will be made this summer (if not sooner) and with that in mind, let’s take a look at the candidates.

The Favorites

Brandon Jennings, PG Milwaukee Bucks (Age: 23)

Contract Status: Restricted FA in 2013 | Max Hornets Could Offer: 4 years/$58 million | Expected Cost: 11-14.5 million per year

The question you have to ask yourself with Jennings is simple: Can he be an efficient scorer if he was a third or fourth option as opposed to a first option? The fact of the matter is that Jennings has been extremely inconsistent in Milwaukee. At times, he looks like an All-Star and at other times he looks like a reckless chucker. But when you look back at his three and a half years with the Bucks, who is the best offensive player he has played with? Monte Ellis? Andrew Bogut? In his first two seasons, John Salmons was the Bucks best weapon outside of Jennings, and since then it has been a steady stream of also rans helping him try to carry the load.

Now imagine he comes to a team with Eric Gordon splitting the playmaking responsibilities, Ryan Anderson giving him space to operate and Anthony Davis finishing everything at the rim. Is it likely that we see a more consistent Brandon Jennings at that point? If Dell Demps answers yes, then no price would be too high for Jennings. The beauty of having Anthony Davis and Ryan Anderson on such cheap, long term deals is that you can afford to slightly overpay someone else and it wont kill your cap. Even if the Hornets have to pay Jennings the max, they will have their Big Four tied up for just $45 million over the next three years. That gives them $25 million dollars to fill out the roster without getting into the luxury tax. With Smith, Rivers, and Lopez on great deals and the 2013 1st rounder on a rookie scale wage, you would still have plenty of money to bring in a small forward (or re-sign Aminu) and add additional depth.

Eric Bledsoe, PG, Los Angeles Clippers (Age: 23)

Contract Status: $2.63 million in ’13, RFA in 2014 | Expected Cost: Greivis Vasquez or Robin Lopez and 2013 1st round pick

Bledsoe is a huge risk/reward proposition at this point. The advanced numbers tell you that he is an elite point guard who just happens to be stuck beyond the best point guard in the world. He projects as a fantastic player if he were to get starter’s minutes, but can we really truly know how he would fare over an 82 game season as a starting point guard just by looking at what he has done as a backup and spot starter and projecting his Per-36 minutes numbers? Won’t he have to play the game differently if he is getting double the minutes? Perhaps he will have to pace himself more. Perhaps moving to the head of the opposing teams’ scouting report has an effect or perhaps becoming the leader of a team will be too big of a burden.

But what if we have only seen the tip of the iceburg. What if it is a James Harden situation where playing with all that talent was actually limiting him and he just takes off when given the reigns? One thing we know for sure is that his defense translates. He is an amazing on-ball defender and can jump passing lanes with the best of them. He is also a great rebounder for the point guard position and an excellent finisher in transition. But if that is where the positives end and he never really develops the ability to run the point or score effectively in the half court, would he be worth both Greivis Vasquez and a likely top 10-12 pick? Probably not. Again, it is about how you project a young point guard in a brand new situation moving forward. But that is why Dell is paid the big bucks.

To read the rest of the article, click here
    @mcnamara247

...we get to go McDonalds
    I don't want to overpay for anyone. I understand the reasoning of 'we have anthony davis at such a great value that we can overpay' ... but I'm not sure it's the smartest route. We are a small market team and I think we're all in agreement that we need to be as efficient as possible with our $$$.

I think the wisest move would be to hold onto money and rather than sign a player; trade for a player. There will assuredly be a player who for whatever reason needs to be moved (example: James Harden and Dwight Howard). I'm not for paying Brandon Jennings a max contract when I know he's not worth it. Will it better this club? Definitely. But at the same time, it takes our championship aspirations away. Tying up $$$ in Gordon and Jennings will never lead to an NBA Championship. Making the playoffs isn't good enough.

Of the players on your list, I think Wilson Chandler makes the most sense. Kyle Lowry makes some sense. We'd be getting quality, skilled players at decent prices. And we'd still have the ability to make a move for an elite player if the situation were to arise.

I'm not sure if its at all feasible, but is making a move for Dwight Howard that out of the question? I understand its a small market...but from a team standpoint, we have to be one of the more common sense destinations. We have the $$$ and we have a group who can legitimately contend if he were added. I think its far-fetched and about a 0% chance ... but I have to throw it out there. And I wouldn't mind fully rehabbing him for the season either if we were to actually pull it off.
    Last edited by Primetime; 01-26-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Personally, I think it is going to be very, very hard to get another 'elite' player unless it happens in the draft. The fact is that guys who make it to free agency usually are there because they are not seen by their team as elite- and if they are, they go to a big market.

As for trades, the Harden scenario was so rare- I just don't think you can hold onto cap space and assets hoping that it happens again. I really can't think of anything similar in the last 10-15 years, where a young and super talented guy had to be traded for cap reasons and wasn't being a diva about where he specifically wanted to be traded. Dwight Howard or Melo or CP3 situations happen a bit more often, but they always have a market they want to go to and New Orleans is not one of them.

I think all of us would love an ideal player with an ideal salary structure to become available and want to come to New Orleans, but the reality is that almost every possible acquisition will have warts, it is just choosing the warts we can live with. Do you slightly overpay a guy (Jennings)? or do you go with a possible headcase who has a great contract and skill set (Lowry)? Do you go with multiple solid, but not great players (Brewer, Budinger, Gerald Henderson) or do you spend all your money on one great player who will likely be overpaid by the end of his deal (Iggy?). And so on and so on.

To me, I don't mind overpaying, because we are underpaying in other places. The Spurs are this way. Is Stephen Jackson worth 10+ million a year? No way, but they can get away with it and stay under the tax because they have so many other players on below market deals.

You have $70 million to put together a roster without going into the tax. To me, it doesnt matter who gets the money, just that a great team is put together for that price. It sucks for Davis and Anderson that they are getting underpaid, but you take advantage of that while you can, because it aint gonna be that way forever

MM: How do you feel about Earl Clark as a rotational player? I've been watching a lot of games with him. Seems to guard 3's wellish. certainly is a tweener, but is a huge energy guy. Doesn't shoot the 3 enough to really be able to judge him there. Seems to have an ok mid range shot. I think he'd fit in pretty well.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Schwan and I have always loved Clark on the defensive end, but he really only succeeds offensively on teams who push the pace. He wouldn't thrive here

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Schwan and I have always loved Clark on the defensive end, but he really only succeeds offensively on teams who push the pace. He wouldn't thrive here
    You think if we got a Branon Jennings or Jeff Teague the pace would increase, or is this just monty's system?

With Gordon, pace has increased to around 20th in the league, so adding Jennings would likely bump it up a bit more, but we will never play at the type of pace Clark needs to be a threat on offense. Would take him as a backup, though if he comes cheap enough

If Demps finally pulls the trigger on Jennings... then we draft a younger big or hope to get Muhammed, Proythress, or Porter...

Then this team competes next season and is a West favorite the year after... write that down now.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Hey, Mc>> I think this is a perfect time to trade Vasquez TO BOSTON > Vasquez and/or Aminu & 1st round pick for GREEN & LEE (lee if we want to go that route instead of Mason)! Does that fit $ criteria ? Then grab a Jennings, Teague kinda guy in FA
    Last edited by Tinman; 01-28-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Hey, Mc>> I think this is a perfect time to trade Vasquez TO BOSTON > Vasquez and/or Aminu & 1st round pick for GREEN & LEE (lee if we want to go that route instead of Mason)! Does that fit $ criteria ? Then grab a Jennings, Teague kinda guy in FA
    Why would we get Jeff Green??? He's not bad, but for his contract, the guy doesn't have an elite skill. Lee is a nice backup shooting guard who can play defense, but then you just stopped the development of Rivers. I definfilty don't like this trade at all. There ins't much from Boston I would like except for Avery Bradley and Rando (but I doubt they will trade him, he's their future). Also Aminu is doing well for us and he seems to have found a role on our team. I'd rather sign him for cheap than try to find a replacement. If anything, why don't you just try to trade Vasquez for Kyle Lowry?
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

Lets let Lopez walk and pick up Pekovic
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

I was hoping we could swing a trade of Vasquez for Boston's 2014 1st round pick. That way, they can still compete this year, and they also get their 2013 draft pick to add to the mix to make 1 last run next season, and we get their pick in a very strong draft. We can either use it, or we can package it up with our pick + a player or 2 and get another legit piece.

Sign Brandon Jennings this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Sign Brandon Jennings this off season.
    I've read Milwaukee plans to match Jennings which means you'd need to convince them not to match and that probably involves trading them Vasquez. It sounds like the Bucks are where the Hornets were under Shinn, just make the playoffs to keep enough butts in the seats. They won't let him leave for nothing and what they get in return for him needs to keep them in the hunt, something a pick or Rivers wouldn't do.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Hey Michael, I'm sure you've been asked this before but do you think Ben McLemore could play the 3 in the NBA or is he strictly a guard? Havn't relly read much on him but he looks like he could be the best player in the draft next year, and he's 6'5.

seeing that Boston may make a play for Lowry

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
    Why would we get Jeff Green??? He's not bad, but for his contract, the guy doesn't have an elite skill. Lee is a nice backup shooting guard who can play defense, but then you just stopped the development of Rivers. I definfilty don't like this trade at all. There ins't much from Boston I would like except for Avery Bradley and Rando (but I doubt they will trade him, he's their future). Also Aminu is doing well for us and he seems to have found a role on our team. I'd rather sign him for cheap than try to find a replacement. If anything, why don't you just try to trade Vasquez for Kyle Lowry?
    Oh, I think Green is worth 8 mill. ... GV is probably at his MAX offering right now ! It does not stunt Rivers at all. Lee will back-up Gordon & Rivers will learn on the JOB at #1 this year. He is gonna play point. Then in the off-season you search for a #1, #5 & back-up #3 . What order depends on whethr Monty thinks he can turn the reins over to Rivers . I would love to see another BIG legit #5, so The "Hammer" (Smith) , as Joel Meyers calls him can play the #4,

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    Lets let Lopez walk and pick up Pekovic
    What what WHAT????? With THAT contract you just let that guy walk????

I want to keep Lopez at least for one more year, but if it's best for the team to move in another direction than I am all for it, but in a trade. For the production he gives, with the minutes he plays, comparing to the $$$ most starting quality 5s receive, his contract is something that would be coveted by many teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    What what WHAT????? With THAT contract you just let that guy walk????

I want to keep Lopez at least for one more year, but if it's best for the team to move in another direction than I am all for it, but in a trade. For the production he gives, with the minutes he plays, comparing to the $$$ most starting quality 5s receive, his contract is something that would be coveted by many teams.
    Get him off the team some way or another and get Pek... Pek and Davis would be something special

Get him off the team some way or another and get Pek... Pek and Davis would be something special
    That's fine but you don't let guys that have that kind of contract just walk. A team like Miami would kill to have that kind of center at that price. Especially with the cap problems they are going to be faced with in the next 1-2 years.

That's fine but you don't let guys that have that kind of contract just walk. A team like Miami would kill to have that kind of center at that price. Especially with the cap problems they are going to be faced with in the next 1-2 years.
    The main focus is to get Pek damn

The main focus is to get Pek damn
    And I like that idea too damn. But what happens if minny doesn't let him leave? What's the backup plan? Either way we should exercise Lopez's option IMO.

And I like that idea too damn. But what happens if minny doesn't let him leave? What's the backup plan? Either way we should exercise Lopez's option IMO.
    We need to accept that option unless we plan on throwing a max deal out to someone.

could we get jennings and pek while trading either gravy or lopez?
    How much will pek want? over 10-12 mil?

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    We need to accept that option unless we plan on throwing a max deal out to someone.
    Even if we plan on trading him, with the lewis contract and for sure X's coming off the books (maybe aminu but I hope not). I think we would still have the $$$ to be able to exercise that option on Lopez. Please correct me if I am wrong, but not including X, Aminu and Mason we would be somewhere around 49mil WITH a max player (that is just me assuming a max player would get around 14mil in the first year)

Quote Originally Posted by mtk0660 View Post
    could we get jennings and pek while trading either gravy or lopez?
    How much will pek want? over 10-12 mil?
    Pek isn't going anywhere. Kevin Love put the TWolves in Win Now mode as soon as he signed his contract. If they have any hope of keeping Love around they have to keep getting better, and trading Pek for Lopez doesn't make them better.

Thread Information