Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bledsoe way over hyped

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I've also watched a lot of Bledsoe and there is no question he is overhyped. He's a fine player, and we would be a much better team if we had him on our bench. As a full time starter, we would be no better than we are now.

Grass is always greener has been in full affect here for a while. We need to get better, and it's hard to find available guys that do that. I'm of the opinion we badly need to improve our bench, guards in particular. Whether it's a good PG, or a true scorer with Rivers at point, our backup guard play submarines everything we do most nights.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    I'm all for drafting a Porter or Poythress to be that guy (I think Bennett will be way gone by our pick) and keeping GV. Twist for you: drafting Trey Burke to be that PG backup and using the money to sign Iggy.

I would poop myself.
    O I am a Burke believer so you wouldn't have to twist my arm! And I just saw a mock where Bennett fell to 9. I'm thinking 5-8. I'd love Otto as well though.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 01-18-2013 at 08:39 AM.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    O I am a Burke believer so you wouldn't have to twist my arm! And I just saw a mock where Bennett fell to 9. I'm thinking 5-6. I'd love Otto as well though.
    I don't know why but I've just got this feeling that we'll end up with Otto. FA notwithstanding of course, if they want to push for Iggy who knows if they go for a 1, 3 or a Eurostash.
    Wherehappens.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I've also watched a lot of Bledsoe and there is no question he is overhyped. He's a fine player, and we would be a much better team if we had him on our bench. As a full time starter, we would be no better than we are now.

Grass is always greener has been in full affect here for a while. We need to get better, and it's hard to find available guys that do that. I'm of the opinion we badly need to improve our bench, guards in particular. Whether it's a good PG, or a true scorer with Rivers at point, our backup guard play submarines everything we do most nights.
    Maybe 1 or 2 positions but I have been happy with our bench. I think we rank around 13th in the NBA in bench points. Think about the days of CP and West when we needed bench production to win a championship.

Bledsoe is in his 3rd year in the league, posted a PER of 10 his rookie year and has bumped that up to 19 this year. He started off as a very raw prospect with great athletic capabilities. His game has grown leaps and bounds but he is still extremely raw. His jump shot is still a work in progress, his ball handling is good but not great, his court vision is weak. His overall basketball principles and fundamentals are not that good. He is a bundle of energy and athleticism that plays behind the best PG in the world and on the best basetball team in the world. He is surrounded by veteran players that cover his mistakes. His job right now is to simply provide energy on the court. I would love to have him coming off the bench, but he is not a starting PG in this league right now. Can he become one? Yes! However, he is still a long ways away.

Rivers on the other hand is in his rookie year, forced to start on a poor team with no vetrans (other than Roger Mason) due to the Eric Gordon injury and is dealing with all the pressure of being Docs Kid. Rivers was thrown to fire early and he has had his moments. He dropped 27 on those same Clippers. His defense is way ahead of where I expected it to be. His cross-over is lethal and he has shown that he can get by the initial defender and into the lane at will. Rivers needs to get stronger, he needs to work and finishing in the lane, he needs to refine that floater, and he needs to work on his shooting mechanics. Give him time, to me he has had enough moments that I'm still hopeful he can be a very good player.

PS the hate Rivers get is ridiculous and its obvious the people hating on him have not watching a single game other than those Duke-UNC games. People are calling him selfish, a ball-hog, etc. when all Hornets fans know that one of Rivers problems this year has been him being too passive and not selfish enough!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Maybe 1 or 2 positions but I have been happy with our bench. I think we rank around 13th in the NBA in bench points. Think about the days of CP and West when we needed bench production to win a championship.
    Oh no question. We have had much worse benches. I would put our bigs of Anderson and Smith up against anyone. But our overall production from our bench is dominated by the fact that Ryan Anderson is one of the most proficient players in the league and averaging 32 minutes a game this season.

When you take a step back and look at this team as a whole, it's TOTALLY different with Gordon and Aminu in the starting lineup obviously. There is no "glaring" hole when you go Vasquez, Gordon, Aminu, Davis and Lopez. Are there better players? Sure. But you would have to get a really good player to improve one of those positions(and yes, even Aminu, lol).

Brian Roberts brings the flow of this team to a screeching hault. We've all seen and known that for a while. Add in Rivers obvious struggles thus far, and we're about to cut ten years off the career of Greivis. He's having to play all the time to keep the team flowing.

I see one of two solutions. A true 1B point guard. Bledsoe being a great example, coming off the bench, capable of starting. Or, a real 6th man scorer with Rivers at the point. I personally still think Rivers is an NBA PG. That's what he does best, drive and dish.

I would love another SF too, but I haven't been sold that Xavier Henry can't play backup SF without hurting the team. I like what he brings to the table most nights on both sides of the court. JMO.

The floppers the best basketball team in the world? Now i've heard it all

Quote Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
    The floppers the best basketball team in the world? Now i've heard it all
    He was trying to make the point that opponent teams need to worry about other players like Jamal Crawford and Matt Barnes coming off the bench, not to mention Chris Paul and Blake Griffin as starters. When you have so many ball handlers and scorers on the team, point guards job is really easy.

The Clippers may not be the best team, but they certainly have the best bench.

Quote Originally Posted by jacklvyn View Post
    He was trying to make the point that opponent teams need to worry about other players like Jamal Crawford and Matt Barnes coming off the bench, not to mention Chris Paul and Blake Griffin as starters. When you have so many ball handlers and scorers on the team, point guards job is really easy.

The Clippers may not be the best team, but they certainly have the best bench.
    LOL, Matt Barnes.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I know I am in the vast minority and perhaps a couple others feel this way, but if I was in the market for an experienced young NBA point guard, I would still give Jeff Teague a very, very hard look.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Thread Information