Pelicans Report

Thread: Pretty good Rivers vs. Rivers Article

Pretty good Rivers vs. Rivers Article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...2_a6&eref=sihp
    "I didn't enjoy it, honestly,'' Doc would say later. "I know it's neat for everyone else, but as a father, I don't know if I enjoyed that.''

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I bet you he didn't enjoy it even more because he lost

"When they won versus L.A. I saw the emotion on my Dad's face,'' Austin recalled of the Celtics' victory over the Lakers in the 2008 NBA Finals. "That was probably one of the happiest times I've ever felt for someone else. I was so proud and so happy just because I've seen my father go through seasons where he's only won (24) games, and I've seen people come to the stands saying, 'Fire Doc.' You want to talk about a tough time? You think I'm having a tough time, my father's gone through stuff 100 times worse. And look where he's at now. To have someone in my corner who has been through all that -- I know if he can do it, I've got to work hard and I can do it too.''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...#ixzz2IFenA29H
    This is the type of thing that makes me think that Rivers is going to be all right in the NBA. He's got the height, the speed, and the determination to succeed in this league. He might not be an all-star, but, on the other hand, you never know. This might be the game that turns things around for him.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Although we all agree that his mindset and heart are marks if a good NBA player, some players just aren't meant to be. I seriously hope the latter part of my sentence never rings true.
    Jrue dat

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smow- View Post
    Although we all agree that his mindset and heart are marks if a good NBA player, some players just aren't meant to be. I seriously hope the latter part of my sentence never rings true.
    I agree. Everyone, including myself, was excited about the game rivers had yesterday. He ended the game with 8 points and 1 assist on 3-6 from the field and 2-4 from the line. I know it is better than what we have been getting from him but it is bad that we have to be happy at that stat line. All season he has shown "flashes". There is one play a game where he may not score or finish but he gets to the rim at ease and I go OK I can see the player he can become. It is the potential that gives most of us hope. Here's to hoping the latter part of your sentence never rings true as well.

Rivers was drafted as a project... He just needs to be himself and he'll improve over time.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Loved this part -

They were in separate rooms when each was asked what he would remember most about this game.

"That we won," said Austin.

"That we lost," said his father.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    The kid seems to play better under pressure which is good, but he won't face his father every game.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    This team doesn't NEED AR to be good. Patience.
    Wherehappens.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    "When they won versus L.A. I saw the emotion on my Dad's face,'' Austin recalled of the Celtics' victory over the Lakers in the 2008 NBA Finals. "That was probably one of the happiest times I've ever felt for someone else. I was so proud and so happy just because I've seen my father go through seasons where he's only won (24) games, and I've seen people come to the stands saying, 'Fire Doc.' You want to talk about a tough time? You think I'm having a tough time, my father's gone through stuff 100 times worse. And look where he's at now. To have someone in my corner who has been through all that -- I know if he can do it, I've got to work hard and I can do it too.''

Basketball doesn't come to AR naturally, the game doesn't slow down for him like it does Davis. However, he is so determined to succeed and prove all the doubters wrong that he will become a good player in this league. Not a superstar, but he will get there and be a solid starter in the NBA. I have no real question about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Basketball doesn't come to AR naturally, the game doesn't slow down for him like it does Davis. However, he is so determined to succeed and prove all the doubters wrong that he will become a good player in this league. Not a superstar, but he will get there and be a solid starter in the NBA. I have no real question about it.
    I wouldn't say that's true. If you watch him in HS, he looked like a prodigy. You watch him jump to college, and he struggled at first, but the game definitely slowed down for him the 2nd half of the season. Now he's jumping to the NBA at only 20 years old. He's undersized, his shot isn't falling, but the instincts and basketball I.Q. are certainly there. He is a quick learner too - look at how fast he picked up his defense. He's actually a very good passer when he actually has the ball in his hands. I think he just needs time to adjust. The game will slow down for him, just like it did in high school and college. Just because he isn't thriving right now doesn't mean he isn't a true basketball player.

Pretty good Rivers vs. Rivers Article

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. AR works hard but he still have some flaws with his fundamenta ie shot form to name one. I think if it didn't come naturally he wouldn't have made it this far with issues like that. It's not like Ed an overwhelming athlete.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Thread Information