Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suns In Trade Talks for Rudy Gay

Suns In Trade Talks for Rudy Gay

The Memphis Grizzlies and Phoenix Suns are engaged in trade talks centered on forward Rudy Gay, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Rudy Gay is averaging 17.8 points and 5.8 rebounds this season. (USA Today Sports)The Grizzlies have been shopping Gay to multiple teams, and found an interested trade partner with the Suns, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--su...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Poor Rudy, If I were Memphis I would make sure Kendall Marshall was included in that grab bag of talent they could receive.
    Jrue dat

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Couldn't get Gordon, may as well go after another max contract. They actually do need someone like Gay. And the Grizzlies could really use someone like Jared Dudley.

the only guy talented enough to center a package around on the suns is Gortat and they don't need a center.

really don't get this one, even with a first round pick involved

Can't discount the chance they might try and bring a 3rd team into the mix to even things out.

Rudy gay, cornerstone.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    really don't get this one, even with a first round pick involved
    Memphis' motivation for trading Gay is supposedly financial, not only does that reduce Memphis' leverage by limiting the number of buyers, it also reduces their leverage by making them seem desperate. Leaks are often calculated in these types of deals, so this could be Memphis trying to get another team to jump in with a bid more than seriously engaging in talks with Phoenix, but in the end if the tax bill is what this is about, Jared Dudley, Kendall Marshall a 1st and no tax bill may be preferable to the new owner than Gay and hefty taxes. The new CBA is working wonders, small markets are blowing up their home grown teams

Not to mention I'm sure Hollinger would rather have cap space than Rudy Gay.
    Last edited by BP225; 01-08-2013 at 12:04 PM.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    I don't understand the point of having Gay and Beasley. I'm assuming they already regret signing him.

Switching out Gay for Dudley, when you include luxury tax penalties and rebates is a $19 million dollar savings. If Memphis can pull this off, big win for them. No clue why Phoenix would do it, but Gay will average 25 PPG on that team- on 24 shots
    @mcnamara247

Gay is extremely overrated. His poor shot selection and high volume of poor shots will hinder teams offensively. He never performs up to his salary either.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Gay plays with two strong frontcourt players and a very good PG yet shots a poor % from the field and is not close to be an efficient scorer.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Rudy Gay is very overpaid but I thought the Grizz were looking to contend? It saves them money but is a definite dropoff in talent. I don't get if from Phoenix's side either, I guess they are just desperate to have a "franchise" player.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 01-08-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Rudy Gay is very overpaid but I thought the Grizz were looking to contend? It saves them money but is a definite dropoff in talent. I don't get if from Phoenix's side either, I guess they are just desperate to have a "franchise" player.
    They are desperate to remain mediocre.

Interesting possibility for the Grizzles, though. Without Gay, they lack a high volume scorer, but I think the possible financial savings related to trading him is too good to pass up. It also gives them some cap space to play with next offseason too.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-08-2013 at 01:49 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Memphis isn't winning a championship with their current squad. I think getting rid of Gay's contract is one of the best options they have right now. They didn't need him when they upset the Spurs and almost beat OKC in the playoffs.

They're competetive. But they lack the top tier talent this game requires to really win. Teams like Detroit from the mid-00s don't come around very often.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    Memphis isn't winning a championship with their current squad. I think getting rid of Gay's contract is one of the best options they have right now. They didn't need him when they upset the Spurs and almost beat OKC in the playoffs.
    What? They are contenders as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Rudy Gay is very overpaid but I thought the Grizz were looking to contend?
    They just hired John Hollinger, the guy behind the PER stat, to run the team. I'm sure he's looking to play Moneyball and bad contract guys like Rudy Gay have to be moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    What? They are contenders as they are now.
    They really aren't championship contenders. The Thunder, Spurs, Clippers, and Heat can all easily handle them in a seven game series. Their offensive output has taken a major hit as of late. Simply put, they are a second tier team.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    Behind a super-human effort from ZBo. People forget just how unstoppable he looked that postseason. It was a sight to see.

If you could replace Gay, with say Dudley and Redick, they get under the tax and I would argue they are a better team. I expect it to turn into a 3 team trade along these lines. Suns send Lakers pick to Orlando, Redick and Dudley to Memphis- something like that. Now that team could contend if healthy and would have flexibiity moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    They really aren't championship contenders. The Thunder, Spurs, Clippers, and Heat can all easily handle them in a seven game series. Their offensive output has taken a major hit as of late. Simply put, they are a second tier team.

Behind a super-human effort from ZBo. People forget just how unstoppable he looked that postseason. It was a sight to see.
    That's a load of crock. They have a roster that can match up with any team in the league. And a SF who can guard elite SFs with little help. They have the most balanced roster in the league. Barring any preferential treatment from the refs, they have a good a chance as anyone else.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Dudley, Johnson, Shannon Brown, a lightly protected 2013 1st rounder for Rudy Gay would be a great get for Memphis and I can see Phoenix going for something like that.

Memphis would save big money ($4 million this year, and $8 million next year), get a better fit in Dudley, and would get a good draft pick. Phoenix gets their "cornerstone" and can have a core that will have them playing .500 ball which seems to be the goal there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Dudley, Johnson, Shannon Brown, a lightly protected 2013 1st rounder for Rudy Gay would be a great get for Memphis and I can see Phoenix going for something like that.

Memphis would save big money ($4 million this year, and $8 million next year), get a better fit in Dudley, and would get a good draft pick. Phoenix gets their "cornerstone" and can have a core that will have them playing .500 ball which seems to be the goal there.
    It is much more than 4 million. If they can get under the lux tax, it is $4 million plus the savings of not having to pay the tax ($4 million) plus the tax rebate check (3-5 mill)

Total savings this year is more like 11-13 million by doing that deal. It's almost a no brainer

Good move by the Grizzlies to unload a terrible contract.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It is much more than 4 million. If they can get under the lux tax, it is $4 million plus the savings of not having to pay the tax ($4 million) plus the tax rebate check (3-5 mill)

Total savings this year is more like 11-13 million by doing that deal. It's almost a no brainer
    Then you'd have to take in future years lux tax penalties which are stiffer starting next year along with the repeater tax.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I didn't realize rudy gay's field goal percentage numbers have been way down. He's also been terrible for the past five games.
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

Thread Information