Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

52 46.85%
  • NO WAY!

59 53.15%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

How are we going to get FA's to come here when we are losing? Same way we did when we were winning with CP3, DX, Chandler... We over paid. We could be winning or losing. As long as the money is still green players don't care.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure Ryan Anderson and Robin Lopez both signed here on more than fair contracts.

It's all about exploiting the right opportunities. We don't have to overpay for players if we're smart.

We don't have to overspend, but for the game changed type guys here want we will have to overpay. That's the way it has always been since small market teams started playing the free agency game.

Perhaps that is true, but what may also be true is that there are no game changers in this draft, or at least the game changers you are probably looking for. If Ryan Anderson is not a game changer to you, then none of these guys in the draft are.

Free Agency wise are there any game changers?

Well, besides the obvious Dwight and CP3 there is Brandon Jennings and Andre Iguodala

Jennings right now isn't, but I think he's close and he's still only 23. He's averaged 19 points, 6 assists, 3.5 rebounds, and 2 steals over the past 2 years. His efficiency is slightly below average, but if he could up his TS% by about 2%, then he'd be really solid considering he doesn't turn the ball over much for a PG. Defensively he's inconsistent but he does force a lot of turnovers, and I think his inconsistency can be fixed with him getting older and playing under a defensive freak like Monty.

I don't think that we're going to get a perrenial all-star except through trade, but I think Jennings is close and could perhaps develop into one.

AI will be too old, and not with it IMHO. Jennings would be fun, and would be us admitting that Rivers was a bust. I am happy with that signing.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    AI will be too old, and not with it IMHO. Jennings would be fun, and would be us admitting that Rivers was a bust. I am happy with that signing.
    How is getting Jennings admitting Rivers is a bust? If I'm not mistaken a Bench is important when trying to win championships, unless you are the Miami Heat and Lakers.

Well unless you are trading Vasquez (which I doubt) where does Rivers play outside of as the 3rd pg (we did draft him to be our pg)? Dude is not going to be good. I will scream it from the mountains like a prophet, dude will be lucky to avg 10/4/1.

Well unless you are trading Vasquez (which I doubt) where does Rivers play outside of as the 3rd pg (we did draft him to be our pg)? Dude is not going to be good. I will scream it from the mountains like a prophet, dude will be lucky to avg 10/4/1.
    Pure speculation. I think he's perfectly capable of backing up the 1 short-term and growing into a larger role and more productive player long-term.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Am I speculating? Sure, he hasn't done anything to show he can take over or dominate a game. So my hypothesis stands a better chance of being confirmed than yours, considering you believe he will be something he has not shown so far even in summer league play.

Am I speculating? Sure, he hasn't done anything to show he can take over or dominate a game. So my hypothesis stands a better chance of being confirmed than yours, considering you believe he will be something he has not shown so far even in summer league play.
    While that's true, I'm sure management isn't going to operate under the assumption that their first round pick is a failed project and 3rd PG at best after less than a year of play. They have to continue to fill out their roster with how they project each core player will contribute to the team in the future, not the present. And more importantly, they have to give said players the time and energy to do so.

I make this point to suggest that acquiring a Brandon Jennings wouldn't indicate that they've given up on him (as you posted earlier). None of us truly know what their exact plans are with Rivers other than converting him to a PG to play alongside Gordon. Whether that be as a starting guard or spark plug off the bench is something only management knows.

I still believe Rivers can improve. I don't think Rivers is that far off from where Dragic was rookie season, and he was 3 years older entering the NBA. Granted we give Rivers more minutes than Dragic got, but that is because we don't have a steve nash running the point, and this team is all about development right now. Phoenix was trying to win a championship.

I'd be happy if Rivers turned into another Dragic.

The national media hasn't really picked up on the Hornets' sudden push to relevance. That won't last much longer, but it seems to me that the team's recent opponents get stunned when they realize they aren't playing the same dysfunctional bunch that limped through November and December.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    The national media hasn't really picked up on the Hornets' sudden push to relevance. That won't last much longer, but it seems to me that the team's recent opponents get stunned when they realize they aren't playing the same dysfunctional bunch that limped through November and December.
    Thats why I really hope they beat the Spurs on their home floor. Last game their fans acted like the Spurs just lost to the Generals. Such a smug lot they are.

Thread Information