Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

52 46.85%
  • NO WAY!

59 53.15%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

pelicans got swag Flight of the Pelicans's Avatar

RE: Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

Any one who wants to tank is stupid. Sell sell sell on the draft picks. 2013 draft is a joke. So what if we don't make it. Well get stronger and better and have a winning mentality going into next season. I vote yes. The sky is the limit. Go crazy!! Its ok!
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

#Let'sGoPels
    #WhoDatNation
    #GoRays

The rest of this month will really decide what direction we're heading IMO:

GS, Sac, SA, Hou, Mem, LAL, Utah

Only LAL/Utah is back to back, Gordon will be in all those games IMO. If we can get 5 out of 7 we're a slight chance at the playoffs.

Personally I think it'd be too good to be true if we snuck into 8th seed. But this team is certainly finding ways to win right now even if its ugly. Thats a good sign.

Still dont think the playoffs is a possibility, but I was for trading the pick weeks ago. Still hope it happens
    @mcnamara247

Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

All the people who say we still can't make it also probably would have said we couldn't win 6/7. I'm keeping an open mind, I have no idea what this team is capable of, good or bad.

I don't think we'll make it this year. We're just lost too many games early on. Even if we go 30-13 the rest of the way and finish 43-39, it'll still be unlikely. We should be happy about being able to fight for 8th place this early on. We're on an accelerated pace.

And I think 30-13 is actually possible if no injuries occur, but that is not the way the NBA works. Eventually there will be bumps and bruises, twisted ankles, and pulled muscles. When that happens, it will be hard to win at a .700 clip. If we stay injury free, though, it is possible.

Makes you think of some games that we threw away early in the season. The two Pacers games really stand out for some reason Anyway, 3 or 4 more wins and it would be a little more fathomable right now, but 30-33 wins out of the next 43 is a stretch to me

unlikely playoff but the tank meter is off.....i will say the hornets are Playoff Spoilers for a lot of team....funny, making Dallas Mavericks Fan nervous because we can past them in the standing

The tank has been parked back in the hanger, hopefully for the season. They Pelicans are competitive and actually fun to watch. Playoffs may be within reach but not counting on it.

Re: Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by omalakas View Post
    The tank has been parked back in the hanger, hopefully for the season. They Pelicans are competitive and actually fun to watch. Playoffs may be within reach but not counting on it.
    I think we sold it to Charlotte

Sent from my MB611 using Tapatalk 2

Not only can they make it, but they will!!!!!!

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Mavs, warriors, kings and rockets all lost today. We playoff bound!

Clippers, Thunder, San Antonio, and Memphis are all getting in.
    Golden State is probably getting in as well as Denver.
    that leaves Utah, Portland, in right now with Houston right there too, all have at least 20 wins already.
    then still ahead of us are Minnesota, LA, Dallas, and Sacramento.

I can see us passing Sacramento, Dallas, and Minnesota, and I am thinking the Lakers are gonna continue to struggle for the rest of the season, I hope they implode, so I think and hope we could pass them too, but we had to go on a tear just to get out of contention for last in the West, I can't see us passing Houston, Utah, or Portland. We've had highs and low and I think that'll continue, with such a young squad that needs some more pieces to fill some pretty big holes I don't we can sustain a pace good enough to get us in but things do look to be coming together nicely.

Rockets are on a 6 game losing streak. GS are playing without Curry, currently on a 3 game L streak. Wolves have lost their last 5 and are playing without Love. Portland has lost their last 3 (most recent one was against the Cavs). Point is, season is only half done and we can definately make the playoffs

Can we make the playoffs? Yes. Will it happen? No! lol

Only good news from tonight is Houston lost again, and the Blazers are down 17 to the Bucks at HT. Hopefully means Hornets did not lose any ground and remain 7 games out.

I don't think we are playoff bound.

1) we didn't win enough games early on, and now we are behind the 8 ball big time. We can't afford too many losses and we will need 1.5 of those Houston Rocket 20+ game winning streaks.

2) I hope we don't make the playoffs. We are rebuilding, and while the wins right now might be fun, scoring a nice draft pick to build with (along with AD, Gordon, Ryno, and our next big money free agent) is key. We don't want to be a middle of the pack or even top 5 in the west team, and our team as stands is built for that. We whiffed on Rivers, so we need another lotto pick, and for it to hit in order for us to make the leap.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

1) we didn't win enough games early on, and now we are behind the 8 ball big time. We can't afford too many losses and we will need 1.5 of those Houston Rocket 20+ game winning streaks.

2) I hope we don't make the playoffs. We are rebuilding, and while the wins right now might be fun, scoring a nice draft pick to build with (along with AD, Gordon, Ryno, and our next big money free agent) is key. We don't want to be a middle of the pack or even top 5 in the west team, and our team as stands is built for that. We whiffed on Rivers, so we need another lotto pick, and for it to hit in order for us to make the leap.
    I agree with a lot of what u said but to say we whiffed on rivers is just too premature. He will def take a little longer to develop but in 2-3 years i think he can be a solid role player if not more for years to come. The skill is there just needs to work on his shot and confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I agree with a lot of what u said but to say we whiffed on rivers is just too premature. He will def take a little longer to develop but in 2-3 years i think he can be a solid role player if not more for years to come. The skill is there just needs to work on his shot and confidence.
    Nailed it. And I think he'll become more than just a role player, or at least an excellent complimentary starting-caliber guard.

That route is certainly the best one for us long-term. But you won't see me jump on the tank train unless Gordon experiences another major setback.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Yea I understand the logic behind wanting a high pick but i say just ball out.
    Try to win every game, gain experience, grow as a team. Let the chips fall where they may.
    I think we have some $$$$ we can spend next year on a FA? & IMO this team needs one more GOOD vet anyway.
    Believe.
    because...why not?
    Just seems like the right thing to do right now not only for the team but to root for as a fan.... i dunno.
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 01-20-2013 at 01:26 AM.

This is what I've been saying and agree with
    Ballin

I will never being persuaded to jump on the tank train. As Fans we shouldn't be hoping for losses. We should be cheering for the team to win and build a winning culture.

I am not on the tank train. I firmly believe if we play up to our current capability we will miss out on the playoffs and finish with a lottery pick anyway, so why not make it a good one?

Rivers will find his nitch but will be no better than Mike Dunlevey Jr., Brent/Jon, Wes Matthews. But at his best he will only be as good as his father. Guys don't have to come into the league and dominate, but they have to show that they can dominate or take over, neither of which Rivers has done. Good bench player? We hope. Solid contributor? Hardly.

If you have money to spend and you need some talented vets to come here, how do you suppose this team attracts them if they don't create some winning momentum, challenge for a playoff spot, get the dumbo networks on board to spread the word and show some ------- games next season, and hoping some rookie will be another savior?

This team making the playoffs will pay far more long term dividends than another hit/miss lottery pick.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    A little early to say we've whiffed on Rivers. But I believe you see what a player will become in short order. The elite will show signs of becoming elite out of the gate. Davis has done that. Rivers? Not su much.

Currently the 8 seed in the west is .500, on pace for a 41-41 finish.

In order for the Hornets to finish 41-41, we need to finish the season 28-14 (.667). Since Gordon/Aminu/Smith's return, we have been 7-4 (.636). I know the schedule gets easier, but I just don't really see any way that we realistically play .667 basketball for the remainder of the season, even if everyone stays healthy. When we're this far behind in the playoff race, we just can't afford to lose winnable games, like the GSW game last night.

On the bright side, if we played at a .636 clip for the entire season, we would be the 5 seed right now. If we can add a big piece or a few smaller pieces, continue to develop our young guys and build chemistry, and stay relatively healthy next year, watch out for the Pelicans! It's a great time to be a New Orleans basketball fan.

Thread Information