Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

52 46.85%
  • NO WAY!

59 53.15%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by boot318 View Post
    Sorry, but I hope we don't make it. I want an good pick.
    I rather make it than pick 10-14 tho. So you better hope this winning streak ends lol
    Jrue dat

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    I voted no.
    But its a catch 22 really.

You want the team to win games because you want to see improvement.
    We want to show other free agents that the team has a winning mentality.
    Guy's like Gordon won't want to stick around if the team bottom's out every season just so we can get a high draft pick.

I think we used all our luck so far on Anthony Davis.
    Where ever we land we land this year and aim to use the cap space to add the missing pieces.
    We cant rely on 1 or 5 players in the 2013 draft to be our saviour.

I hope we keep winning!!!
    I think we will win 65% of our games from her on in, if they all stay healthy.
    Jason Smith is a concern though.
    Agreed, playoffs or not, I want this team to keep improving. Go into next year as a hot, young team with playoff aspirations is fine with me. I think we have a nice base right now and we need to keep playing good basketball to maintain that chemistry and build confidence.

Probably not. However, if we end up with a better record than the Lakers, i will feel a great satisfaction regardless of draft position.

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    Probably not. However, if we end up with a better record than the Lakers, i will feel a great satisfaction regardless of draft position.
    GOLD!!!

We won't make the playoffs but we need to keep winning regardless. If this team healthy is bad enough to get a top 5 pick then we will have trouble rebuilding regardless of who we draft. To me this is a deep draft and we should still be able to get a good player at around high single, low double digits.

Gotta keep winning, go into next season with a lot of mo, Dell is going to have to be a wizard, he's got some serious cap space to play with but still needs just 1 more star to be a championship team.

no playoffs for hornets this year but the hornets will be playoff spoilers for a lot of teams...great potential with all the piece together,,,,,,

Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by MyLanta View Post
    Man I didn't realize how often they said "NO" in the LOTR.

Too far behind in a tough conference. Assuming Gordon is healthy most of the rest of the way, then I think they can finish around that 6-10 spot in the draft, but that's about the extent of it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/orleans...0520--nba.html

COMMENTARY | Yesterday, I wrote an article asking if the New Orleans Hornets could still make the playoffs this year. Although that would be a monumental task, the Hornets are playing like one of the best teams in the NBA. On Wednesday night, New Orleans won its third straight, vanquishing yet another Southwest Division foe. The Hornets ended the Houston Rockets' five-game winning streak with an 88-79 comeback win.

I remember earlier this season when the Hornets were one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. This was totally uncharacteristic of a Monty Williams coached team. Injuries, mental breakdowns, and an apparent lack of speed contributed to the Hornets' porous defense.

But in a short time, New Orleans has vaulted all the way up to 17th in the NBA in points allowed. As a fan, I couldn't wait for Wednesday's game versus the Rockets. Scoring 106.8 points per game, the Rockets entered tonight's contest as the top scoring team in the NBA. In fact, the Rockets scored 125 points against the Los Angeles Lakers in their previous game.

Unfortunately, one thing that hasn't changed for the Hornets lately is their poor third quarters. The Rockets extended their 36-34 halftime lead to 69-59 with 33 points in the third period. But New Orleans looked possessed in the fourth quarter. Somehow, the Hornets held the high-powered Rockets to 10 points in the last 12 minutes.

Lately, the Hornets seem to have a killer instinct in the fourth quarter. There is no denying that New Orleans has improved tremendously late in games since the return of Eric Gordon. Even when Gordon has an off night like he did against the Rockets with only five points, he still draws the attention of the defense away from the other Hornets. Tonight, Roger Mason was on fire off the bench with 17 points on 6-7 shooting in only 16 minutes played.

Any NBA team can occasionally upset an elite team. But three wins in a row, all against Southwest Division teams, is not a fluke. The Hornets are now healthy, confident, and recommitted to playing defense. I still can't decide if New Orleans holding the Rockets to 46 fewer points than they scored against the Lakers says more about my favorite NBA team or my least favorite NBA team.

The lack of national media attention and no respect that the Hornets receive make it likely that New Orleans will continue to sneak up on quality NBA teams like the Rockets. The return of Eric Gordon means more assists for Greivis Vasquez, more open looks for Ryan Anderson, and no pressure on Anthony Davis.

I could be wrong, but I expect the Hornets' three-game winning streak to keep increasing for a few more games.

It all depends on what we do over the next 24 games (the rest of this month and the entire February). If the team can be somewhere around 20-4, 16-8, or 15-7 during that stretch, then we'd be in great position to finish the season strong to make the playoffs. Gordon's health determines everything.

I mean we have every much of the right talent and coaching to do it if everyone stays healthy. But that's alot of pressure being put on the players to win about 35 of the remaining 47. Had Gordon not been injured to begin the season, I think we definitely would've been a 7th or 8th seed right now. He would've made the development of Davis and Rivers a lot smoother early on and might've not seen those two get injured or struggle as much.

One thing's for sure ,though. Monty is cemented as the team's HC for AT LEAST the next 10 years if he can pull something legendary like that off. Talk about having immense job security. No one can EVER question MW again if he can take a team that began the season with a 7-25 record to the postseason.
    Last edited by SonOfNOLA; 01-10-2013 at 04:35 AM.

This is a rebuilding/development year. Just want them to grow together, and the youngsters get better every game. Is there a precedent for a team with our record rebounding and making the playoffs? I doubt it.

If the Clippers can win 17 in a row, then anything's possible. Most of that success was due to their scoring off the bench so that'll be key for us putting together a string of W's as well. Smith, Anderson, Roberts, Roger Mason, and Rivers is a pretty solid 2nd unit.

It's no coincidence that we're 3-1 with Gordon back. If that's any indication of what's to come, then I wouldn't rule out a 10 game win streak. We've done it twice before under Monty two seasons ago when we began the '10-'11 season 8-0 and had a 10 game win streak in January of that year. Granted, a lot of that was due to having 2 established stars and, while extremely below average, other seasoned vets that knew where to be on the floor. On paper, the team we have now easily triumphs that squad in talent but chemistry has been a big problem and missing Gordon of course. With him back on the floor, you see a boost in team morale and flashes of a playoff caliber squad. He makes everyone around him better. So, again, I wouldn't rule it out because having Gordon on the floor makes that possiblity within reach, but I won't get my hopes up only because the team dug themselves in a deep hole in L's to begin the season.

Playoffs or not, it's hard seeing us having a top 10 lottery pick unless Gordon gets hurt again. I think it'll be close to the 15th pick

1. Keep getting Ws to attract FAs and build momentum
    2. Get that training facility up
    3. Don't name this team the Pelicans

4. PROFIT!

Can the Hornets still make the Playoffs?

I heard the lakers have to win 30 or so games to put them in the talks of playoffs not entirely guaranteeing them a spot (because West is super competitive)

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Mathematically, yeah. Realistically, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeells no.

I'd rather just get our 10-13 pick and be happy with it. This season's been pretty darn fun even with the losses and we have the rebrand and draft to look forward to
    Wherehappens.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    9 games out the playoff hunt with a ton of ball left. 3-1 since EG's return.
    Just wanted to see what some thought. Felt like taking a poll for shiggles.
    Win, Win, Win ! Show a Free agent your record when the pieces were plugged in ! Dont try to sell your product to a potential employee by telling them the dumpster is full !

Of course its possible, especially if we can rack up a 7-8 game winning streak here. As someone said this draft is not top heavy, there is no clear cut #1 guy and the lottery is pretty even, we can get a similar calibre player at 3 and at 10. So go for wins, build momentum and confidence.

Even if you end up late lottery guy like Isaih Austin, Marcus Smart, Trey Burke, CJ Mcollum, Rudy Gobert, Otto Porter may still be there.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    1. Keep getting Ws to attract FAs and build momentum
    2. Get that training facility up
    3. Don't name this team the Pelicans

4. PROFIT!

the only team that i think we possibly could catch is portland but they keep winning..just beat miami tonight with a comeback in the 4th qtr

believe

Ah it never gets old. Love it

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    If we were in the East, I'd say yeah, we can make it.

I definitely think Portland can slip, but we've just dug ourselves such a hole, I'd be really, really surprised to see it.

But never say never.

Thread Information