Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Burden of a young team... Contract extensions...

The Burden of a young team... Contract extensions...

Just wanted to raise a point that I don't believe has been widely discussed or at any great depth.

We have a plethora of players who will be coming off their rookie deals in the next few years, what do you feel the market value is for our young guys? Particularly interested to hear what people would resign Vasquez, Aminu, Henry for as they're soon to be looking at their options?

Also what do you do for the next 3 years while you wait for Davis to get his max deal? Do you hope to resign the previously mentioned players cheaply and go after a serious FA target? Or stay the course with this group that seems to be meshing a bit and watch them grow?

Realistically, I think Vasquez, right now, would be in the $7 million a year range. That comes based on recent contracts for guys like Dragic and Conley who were resigned when they were RFA. He doesn't expire until after next season so if he continues to improve, he could (un)fortunately pull himself into the $10 million range. I'd be more than willing to resign him at $7 mil, but a little hesitant to go much higher. Aminu will be expiring this year and I think right now (playing well) warrants $5 mil per. Henry, also expiring, deserves no more than what he makes now, 2 mil, not even sure if he's worth that.
    Luckily, we have some cap flexibility heading into this offseason. I think we probably use that space in the next few years to lock up the younger players like Aminu and Vasquez. Signing another, young role player will probably be considered as well. As far as marquee free agents, we have pretty limited options. Over pay for a guy like Josh Smith and reach our ceiling, which wouldn't be championship caliber. Or gamble on creating an OKC like young core with our current guys.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    We need to let Henry walk, he has played OK lately but with the young guys on this team and the $$ we have to spend in FA we can easily find a bench replacement. Aminu is such a tough call. He is to up and down. It's hard to not resign him the way he has been playing. I have just seen too many times he play this good and then disappear for weeks. If the FO doesn't think he is a part of this team I think we should do a S&T, tough call either way with him

First, the new CBA has changed the economics and now the players there is a market for get paid and the guys that don't have a market get really cheap deals.

Henry has only proven he's an end of rotation player, he'll be lucky to get significantly more than minimum. If you pay more than $2 million per for him you're probably paying too much.

Aminu has a lot of variables surrounding his market value. First, will he finish the year strong or fade again? Second, the SF market could be tight or flooded. There are close to 10 or so overpaid veteran SFs like Ariza that could be either bought out or exercise their player options if they'd rather a long term deal over one overpaid year. If all of them opt out or are cut, Aminu might be lucky to get $2.5 million. If non of them opt out or are cut and Aminu continues playing well, he might go as high as the MLE. So he'll probably end up somewhere in the middle, $3-$4 million per year but since you didn't pick up his QO you have the option of not signing him at all if you go after a big name FA.

I think people are greatly over estimating the market for Vasquez. First, when his contract will be up he will not be in the same position as Dragic was. Vasquez will be 27.5 years old and will hopefully have 2 seasons as a starter for teams to accurately judge him on, not a half season of promise for teams to bet on. 2nd, what Vasquez has proven so far is that he can lead a team to a lot of ping pong balls. He can be a very nice complimentary piece, but you don't want him as your lead guard. Dragic got more than MLE money because teams wanted him as a core piece, that's just not something Vasquez is, he's a piece you add once the core pieces are in place. And what kind of cap space do teams with their core pieces in place usually have? The MLE. So I think Vasquez's market value will be around the MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by 1501 Girod St. View Post
    Realistically, I think Vasquez, right now, would be in the $7 million a year range. That comes based on recent contracts for guys like Dragic and Conley who were resigned when they were RFA. He doesn't expire until after next season so if he continues to improve, he could (un)fortunately pull himself into the $10 million range. I'd be more than willing to resign him at $7 mil, but a little hesitant to go much higher. Aminu will be expiring this year and I think right now (playing well) warrants $5 mil per. Henry, also expiring, deserves no more than what he makes now, 2 mil, not even sure if he's worth that.
    Luckily, we have some cap flexibility heading into this offseason. I think we probably use that space in the next few years to lock up the younger players like Aminu and Vasquez. Signing another, young role player will probably be considered as well. As far as marquee free agents, we have pretty limited options. Over pay for a guy like Josh Smith and reach our ceiling, which wouldn't be championship caliber. Or gamble on creating an OKC like young core with our current guys.
    I know what the stats say, and i'm convinced of Vasquez value as a player, coming off the bench that is. I don't care what any one else got paid, GV isn't worth 7 mill, i know that's your opinion and maybe a rough estimate on what you think he's worth, but i can't place his value to the team that high.

I know it gets old, but for some we still have to use that nasty word "LIMITATIONS", I place his financial value some where above Aminu for now, but not that much, and it's only like that now because Aminu needs to work on his skills, skills that can be developed, that can make him a quasi star in the NBA, because he does have star talent.

Now with all the Monty defensive talk... first, second and third, GV is still an offensive first player. Defense never, and i do understand that's not for lack of effort, it's just his limitations.

I don't believe you can pay a back up PG 7 mill a year, when you have to run that many picks to free your PG during any given game to create clear paths so he can penetrate, when you have to make guys available to help your PG get the ball up court or when he's pressured our offense falls apart, he's not worth 7 million and he's a back up.

Aminu 4 years at anywhere from 16-20 million, at the end of those 4 years he'll be 26 or 27 and a finished product and you'll know how he fits and if he's a key member or part of your core.

X, if he keeps playing like he has the last few games with minutes, i would definitely be okay with giving him a 2 or 3 year deal 3-5 million if it keeps us from bringing in guys like Roberts, we do need bench guys, he knows the system and what Monty expects and he's still young and talented, maybe he will benefit from one or two more off seasons of development.

GV at $7 million a year? I don't think so. He is playing really well lately, but would not be in that tier.

You basically have to do all the free agent moves before all those big deals come due.

Other than that, you have Bird Rights to sign the big guys, exceptions to add little pieces, and trades in there to boot. That's the way most teams operate in most years.

No biggie.

Can't we negotiate an extension with Vazquez before his price rises even more? That would save us some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    Can't we negotiate an extension with Vazquez before his price rises even more? That would save us some money.
    Hornets can talk extension with Vasquez from July 1st to October 31st of 2013, with the first year of said extension kicking in at the beginning of the 2014-15 season.

But as we have documented here before, it wouldn't make much sense to sign him to one unless they locked him in at a bargain rate. He is restricted in 2014. Maybe you have another PG by then, maybe Rivers has developed, maybe he doesn't get a significant offer on the open market.

I would give him a 4 year/20 million dollar offer this August after we have made all our moves. If he signs it, then great. If not, I let him play out what in essence is a contract year and then see what the market dictates the following summer.

Remember, most teams are good at PG and there will be another 3-4 starters coming into the draft this summer and another 3-4 the year after that. Solid PG's arent going to get crazy offers on the FA market. No need to rush to extend him IMO
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    GV at $7 million a year? I don't think so. He is playing really well lately, but would not be in that tier.
    Dragic is going to be getting 7.5 million over the next 4 years. George Hill is getting 8 million over the next FIVE years. I don't think 7 million for GV is that far fetched.

I think our best bet is seeing how well he plays next year and then just letting the market determine his price. I think 6-7 million is fair for Greivis.
    Last edited by Bee-Fense; 01-21-2013 at 10:51 AM.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    6-7 million a year for a back up PG? That's absolutely insane.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Remember, most teams are good at PG and there will be another 3-4 starters coming into the draft this summer and another 3-4 the year after that. Solid PG's arent going to get crazy offers on the FA market. No need to rush to extend him IMO

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Now that I think about it, I'm more confident we are going to be able to retain him (hopefully as a backup) at a reasonable price. No need to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Dragic is going to be getting 7.5 million over the next 4 years. George Hill is getting 8 million over the next FIVE years. I don't think 7 million for GV is that far fetched.

I think our best bet is seeing how well he plays next year and then just letting the market determine his price. I think 6-7 million is fair for Greivis.
    And those fools are going to regret it, actually i can see the Suns might regret it already considering that with Dragic they're one of the worse teams in the league, obviously he's not a difference maker, he doesn't make the the guys they already have better.

Hill is ok, but he's a roll player, he benefits from the guys they have around him and he's isn't worth that much in general, i don't think he's even worth that much to them.

Let other teams over pay roll players. Besides, i think in the second half of the season his numbers will take a dip. As teams are playing for playoff seeding, to make it in and coaches are coaching to keep their jobs, i believe teams will play Vasquez accordingly. Because every game will matter more and no one will just let GV go off when it's so easy to just stick a man in front and tell him don't gamble or do anything special, just play defense.

Anyway those won't even be the same numbers we're using to debate the issue.

I personaly would not go a cent over 5 million a year for Grevis, I think 4.5 million would be a good price, I think Grevis has more value to us than to other teams.

Aminu 3 million, 2.5 million being the reasonable price.

Both I'd offer 3-4 year deals.

This is what it all comes down to. these decisions will define dell's career. yes, he's made some nice decisions thus far, but these are the big ones. We've have a franchise player fall in our laps, and we absolutely have to take advantage and build a contender around him. Bower and company failed with cp3, it'd be devastating to see it happen again. If there's anything to learn from bower's failure, it's to not rush it. Can't afford to

I would love to know what vision dell has for the team, there's tons of decisions to be made. The west will be very tough for years to come. Of course the thunder will be on top for awhile. Then we'll also be battling very good young teams like portland and golden state. think if bogut comes back strong for them. wow

I'd go 3 year 10 mill for Aminu and 4 year 20 mill for Vasquez.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    I'd go 3 year 10 mill for Aminu and 4 year 20 mill for Vasquez.
    Bingo. Exactly what I was thinking.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post
    6-7 million a year for a back up PG? That's absolutely insane.
    Who's the starter?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Who's the starter?
    For winning teams there are 2 kinds of starters in this league, starters you add to your team first and pay a premium to get/keep, those you add to your team last and can only afford to pay the MLE. As productive as Vasquez has been he's not a difference maker on his own. Especially with as many decent PGs as there are in the league, I just can't see him getting more than MLE money.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Hornets can talk extension with Vasquez from July 1st to October 31st of 2013, with the first year of said extension kicking in at the beginning of the 2014-15 season.

But as we have documented here before, it wouldn't make much sense to sign him to one unless they locked him in at a bargain rate. He is restricted in 2014. Maybe you have another PG by then, maybe Rivers has developed, maybe he doesn't get a significant offer on the open market.

I would give him a 4 year/20 million dollar offer this August after we have made all our moves. If he signs it, then great. If not, I let him play out what in essence is a contract year and then see what the market dictates the following summer.

As far as rookie contracts, which Gravy is still on . You cannot offer extensions . You can only only pick-up the options on years 3 and/or 4 . If you pick up those options, then after year 4 is when the negotiations begin.... i.e. The rookie contract must play itself out (4 years) . You cannot restructure or extend a different contract to that player, unless you do not pick up the option (which in GV's case would be a bit dangerous !

Just ran across this little piece over at ESPN.

kevinarnovitz Kevin Arnovitz
    Hornets declining $3.2M 1-year option on Aminu very strange. He'll fetch more on the open market. NO could've easily dealt him at that price

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Just ran across this little piece over at ESPN.

kevinarnovitz Kevin Arnovitz
    Hornets declining $3.2M 1-year option on Aminu very strange. He'll fetch more on the open market. NO could've easily dealt him at that price

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    He will be traded shortly !

I can see someone giving Aminu a mid-level deal. If other athletic players like Stromile Swift, Tyrus Thomas, and Trevor Ariza can get big money deals based on potential, then I can see a team giving Aminu that. Hopefully, he recognizes he can be part of a good situation here and doesn't just chase money because I don't think we can start out bidding people without ruining our flexibility.

As far as Vazquez, I believe the Hornets will pay him market value for a starting pg if he continues to lead this team and cuts down on his turnovers. If the Hornets are smart, they will keep some cap space this summer and use it next year on a Nick Collison type extension for Jason Smith (say 3 yrs $3 mil with a $6 signing bonus for 2013).

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    As far as rookie contracts, which Gravy is still on . You cannot offer extensions . You can only only pick-up the options on years 3 and/or 4 . If you pick up those options, then after year 4 is when the negotiations begin.... i.e. The rookie contract must play itself out (4 years) . You cannot restructure or extend a different contract to that player, unless you do not pick up the option (which in GV's case would be a bit dangerous !
    Incorrect. Think about James Harden this summer as a reminder. Prior to October 31st, he could sign an extension that would kick in the next year (his 5th year). The Hornets have already exercised his 4th year option. He will get 2.15 mil next year no matter what. Over the summer and before the season starts, they will have the option to offer him an extension. If they fail to do so, they can give him a qualifying offer in 2014, making him a restricted free agent

Thread Information