Pelicans Report

Thread: Greivis Vasquez synergy defensive stats

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Greivis Vasquez synergy defensive stats

We all like to talk about Greivis's defense, so I decided to take a look at some other PG's that are talked about on the forums.

Greivis Vasquez:
    overall - 0.88 ppp, 40% fg, 37% three, 3.3% shooting foul, 9.4% turnover, 38.4% score
    iso- 0.97 ppp, 46% fg, 46% three, 7.4% shooting foul, 8.8% turnover, 47.1% score
    p&r ball handler- 0.79 ppp, 42% fg, 17% three, 4.4% shooting foul, 17.5% turnover, 37.7% score
    spot up- 0.98 ppp, 36% fg, 40% three, 0.9% shooting foul, 2.7% turnover, 36.4% score

Brandon Jennings:
    overall - 0.85 ppp, 40% fg, 29% three, 5.5% shooting foul, 12.7% turnover, 39.3% score
    iso- 0.96 ppp, 43% fg, 29% three, 14.3% shooting foul, 12.2% turnover, 46.9% score
    p&r ball handler- 0.8 ppp, 41% fg, 26% three, 5.5% shooting foul, 18.3% turnover, 38.5% score
    spot up- 0.97 ppp, 39% fg, 32% three, 2.9% shooting foul, 4.8% turnover, 39% score

Kyle Lowry:
    overall - 0.79 ppp, 38% fg, 34% three, 3.8% shooting foul, 15% turnover, 35.7% score
    iso- 0.67 ppp, 22% fg, 40% three, 20% shooting foul, 20% turnover, 33.3% score
    p&r ball handler- 0.58 ppp, 31% fg, 9% three, 5.7% shooting foul, 22.6% turnover, 29.5% score
    spot up- 0.95 ppp, 40% fg, 35% three, 0% shooting foul, 6.7% turnover, 38.7% score

Eric Bledsoe:
    overall - 0.87 ppp, 41% fg, 44% three, 4.3% shooting foul, 11.7% turnover, 38.7% score
    iso- 0.77 ppp, 37% fg, 25% three, 8.6% shooting foul, 5.7% turnover, 37.1% score
    p&r ball handler- 0.79 ppp, 43% fg, 30% three, 2.2% shooting foul, 16.3% turnover, 38% score
    spot up- 1.1 ppp, 44% fg, 52% three, 1.4% shooting foul, 5.7% turnover, 42.9% score

Great post man. Well done.

Vasquez has been on a tear recently, and his off-ball game has taken a huge step this year. It will only get better as he plays more with Gordon, but the most important improvement, IMO, that was necessary in order for him to play with Gordon was his 3-point shooting. He is now up to 38.4% for the season, which is huge if he can maintain that. Also, he has been filling up the stat sheet averaging 14 points, 9 assists, and 5 boards per game this year. Most importantly, though, is the fact that he has the heart of a champion, and that is a hard thing to replace. His intangibles are off the charts, and I love that about him.

The one thing I'd say about him that I'd really like to see him improve on (and Eman hit on this the other day) is that he doesn't anticipate plays very well. He'll hit a guy when he's open, but he really doesn't ever pass people open. This is going to be really important playing with a guy like Davis...

So he's the worst defender of the 4, does not force turnovers, and is worst in iso compared to the other three?

That's what all that means?

Greivis Vasquez synergy defensive stats

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    So he's the worst defender of the 4, does not force turnovers, and is worst in iso compared to the other three?

That's what all that means?
    Don't forget he plays on a team that plays a lot of help defense.

While he is the worst of the 4, it is only slightly. If we're being honestly, he really isn't that far away fromt he pack, and those are some of the best defensive PGs in the league.

Vasquez trumps the other 3 offensively, so it evens out somewhere. The whole point of the post is that Vasquez isn't as far off as some make it appear. His defense isn't stellar, but when comparing him to these 3, he's certainly not far behind.

I'm someone who LIKES Vasquez.

I would like some analysis, conclusions, or at the very list some context for data that's just dumped out there.

He's not way out from the pack, no, but it frankly doesn't tell us anything new. We already knew all this, right?

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    While he is the worst of the 4, it is only slightly. If we're being honestly, he really isn't that far away fromt he pack, and those are some of the best defensive PGs in the league.

Vasquez trumps the other 3 offensively, so it evens out somewhere. The whole point of the post is that Vasquez isn't as far off as some make it appear. His defense isn't stellar, but when comparing him to these 3, he's certainly not far behind.
    Just to be clear. You are saying that Vasquez is a better offensive player than Lowry and Jennings?

And some, if not most, of those defensive numbers are not that small of a difference. For instance, Vasquez is ranked 147 in iso situations while Bledsoe is 84 and Lowry is in the top 20. A .10 difference in a category is huge

And when you look at how many turnovers these 3 create as compared to Vasquez, that is far and away the biggest difference of them all

Vasquez has definitely improved and he is putting up huge numbers on a bad team, so there are plenty of arguments that you can point to in order to say Vasquez is climbing his way into a middle tier of starting point guards, but these are not the stats to use to make that argument
    @mcnamara247

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Just to be clear. You are saying that Vasquez is a better offensive player than Lowry and Jennings?

And some, if not most, of those defensive numbers are not that small of a difference. For instance, Vasquez is ranked 147 in iso situations while Bledsoe is 84 and Lowry is in the top 20. A .10 difference in a category is huge

And when you look at how many turnovers these 3 create as compared to Vasquez, that is far and away the biggest difference of them all

Vasquez has definitely improved and he is putting up huge numbers on a bad team, so there are plenty of arguments that you can point to in order to say Vasquez is climbing his way into a middle tier of starting point guards, but these are not the stats to use to make that argument
    This is my biggest thing with it, I'm interested in seeing if that changes at all with Gordon back in the lineup.

The site isn't letting me quote anyone right now, so this is in response to MM.

To answer your question directly, I think Vasquez is certainly a better offensive player than Bledsoe and Jennings. Lowry is a bit of a push, but he is having the best season of his career. And to be fair, Jennings and Lowry have been starters for quite some time now, but this is Vasquez's first year starting. That should be taken into account, IMO, especially considering Vasquez's growth this year.

I would say that Jennings is the best pure scorer of the bunch, Vasquez is the best passer, Lowry is a combo of both, and Bledsoe can't do much of anything on offense.

Defensively, I think it's obvious Vasquez isn't a stopper, but he isn't as bad as some make him out to be. Lowry is a stud, so that's an unfair comparison. He fares well to Jennings and Bledsoe though, in terms of overall defense. He doesn't force many TOs, but hopefully Gordon and Rivers can help us out there.

I'm not saying Vasquez is an All Star, but he is certainly improving, and he is putting up very respectable numbers considering this is his first year starting, and he was playing with out his 2 best player for the better portion of the season. I think he'll continue to improve playing next to Gordon, and if Vasquez can keep up his play off the ball and continue to hit the open 3, I think they will make a very nice pairing moving forward. Still, I'd trade Vasquez for good value, just like I'd trade Lopez for good value.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

well to be fair, lowry is on a bad team too and as much as i like bledsoe, he is playing against backups

I was just asking because I think the national perception would be that Vasquez is the 3rd best offensive player of these 4, but I am not arguing either way. I am open to being persuaded.

Defensively, I can't be. These three are miles ahead of Vasquez, but I am open to valuing Vasquez's results over his abilities. He is really limited with regard to the number of things that he can do, but he is very efficient with regard to the things he does often.

I still think that when you are limited in your options, you get exposed in the playoffs, but we won't know that until he gets there.

Thread Information