.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 65

Thread: Hornets to callup Donald Sloan?

  1. #26
    I hope Donald Sloan is better playmaker then Roberts. Rivers have to become more consistent at 3PT shots, he can also learn from Gordon how to finish at the rim or draw a foul.

  2. #27
    Starter Austrian_Pelican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austria, Vienna
    Posts
    172
    i would say, Sloan is the better scorer, Roberts is the better shooter, and they are both no the best playmakers

  3. #28
    just give me a PG who can get to the hoop please

  4. #29
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Any word on if we will release roberts?
    I haven't heard anything.

  5. #30
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,006
    just give me a PG who can get to the hoop please
    Sloan can definitely do that. Finishes well from what I've seen and remember.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    If Roberts isn't a part of our plans for the future then it is not dumb. Sloan played solid for us last season and I actually didn't know why we didn't just keep him on the roster instead of picking up Roberts to begin with.
    I found some answers for you here.

    By wiki
    On February 8, 2012, he signed a 10-day contract with the New Orleans Hornets.[16] He was not re-signed after that 10-day contract expired,[17] but he later joined the Cleveland Cavaliers on March 16. On December 25, 2012, Sloan was waived by the Cavaliers.

    By Monty
    Monty Williams on the Sloan signing: We need some coverage at that position. Im playing Greivis (Vasquez) a lot of minutes, sometimes the whole second half. Thats not something we want to do all year. So were going to take a look at a few guys and see if anybody sticks. Were always trying to add guys to help our program. (Sloan) was here last year, so he has an idea of what we expect. Hes a tough kid. What I liked about him last year was his ability to defend and attack the basket. He wasnt afraid of anyone or big moments. So well see how it goes. (Jarrett) Jack was out last year, and (Sloan) was pretty good for us. When Jack came back, that was a tough cut, because we liked him a lot. He worked his butt off. Wed like it to go well this time.

  7. #32
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklvyn View Post
    I found some answers for you here.

    By wiki
    On February 8, 2012, he signed a 10-day contract with the New Orleans Hornets.[16] He was not re-signed after that 10-day contract expired,[17] but he later joined the Cleveland Cavaliers on March 16. On December 25, 2012, Sloan was waived by the Cavaliers.

    By Monty
    Monty Williams on the Sloan signing: “We need some coverage at that position. I’m playing Greivis (Vasquez) a lot of minutes, sometimes the whole second half. That’s not something we want to do all year. So we’re going to take a look at a few guys and see if anybody sticks. We’re always trying to add guys to help our program. (Sloan) was here last year, so he has an idea of what we expect. He’s a tough kid. What I liked about him last year was his ability to defend and attack the basket. He wasn’t afraid of anyone or big moments. So we’ll see how it goes. (Jarrett) Jack was out last year, and (Sloan) was pretty good for us. When Jack came back, that was a tough cut, because we liked him a lot. He worked his butt off. We’d like it to go well this time.”
    Thanks for these quotes, but I guess then my question would be when we traded jack, why didnt we pick up sloan instead of going the roberts route in the first place. ahhhh whatever it doesnt even matter anymore.

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Thanks for these quotes, but I guess then my question would be when we traded jack, why didnt we pick up sloan instead of going the roberts route in the first place. ahhhh whatever it doesnt even matter anymore.
    I thought Sloan was on the Cavaliers that time.

  9. #34
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklvyn View Post
    I thought Sloan was on the Cavaliers that time.
    This may be correct I'm not sure. Didn't think he was on their roster in july.

  10. #35
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--hi...035834459.html

    instead of sloan, lets get bobby brown again
    HR Sim League - Philadelphia 76er's (0-0)
    Chauncey Billups | Jerry Stackhouse| Danny Granger| Kenyon Martin | Marcus Camby


  11. #36
    All-Star Ball Boy Nsingh93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    311

    Hornets to callup Donald Sloan?

    Sloans first contribution to the Hornets was falling over while backpedaling.

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsingh93 View Post
    Sloans first contribution to the Hornets was falling over while backpedaling.
    haha yea i saw that too

    so roberts didn't get cut after all...strange move

  13. #38
    Titanium Pelican NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Pelican Lounge
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    haha yea i saw that too

    so roberts didn't get cut after all...strange move
    Very strange. Now, i doubt you bring in Sloan to send a message to Roberts. You don't send messages to guys like Roberts, you replace them.

    So at this point, the only thing i can think of is that a trade could be in the works.

  14. #39
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,810
    Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    Very strange. Now, i doubt you bring in Sloan to send a message to Roberts. You don't send messages to guys like Roberts, you replace them.

    So at this point, the only thing i can think of is that a trade could be in the works.
    Based on Monty's quotes they really liked him and he became available. so they brought him back in. It could be as innocent as they think he'd make a good practice player. Do you really prepare for the imminent departure of guys that are minimum level trade filler?

  15. #40
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    Very strange. Now, i doubt you bring in Sloan to send a message to Roberts. You don't send messages to guys like Roberts, you replace them.

    So at this point, the only thing i can think of is that a trade could be in the works.
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Based on Monty's quotes they really liked him and he became available. so they brought him back in. It could be as innocent as they think he'd make a good practice player. Do you really prepare for the imminent departure of guys that are minimum level trade filler?
    I agree with 225, you don't bring in a guy on a 10-day to replace someone that has been here the entire season. We are talking minimum salaries here. If we wanted Roberts gone we would have released him before the deadline yesterday. Unless he is just going to be used as a throw in but I don't see that happening.

  16. #41
    Titanium Pelican NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Pelican Lounge
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    I agree with 225, you don't bring in a guy on a 10-day to replace someone that has been here the entire season. We are talking minimum salaries here. If we wanted Roberts gone we would have released him before the deadline yesterday. Unless he is just going to be used as a throw in but I don't see that happening.
    Lets say there is a trade in the works, GV is involved... Roberts moves up, you now need a third PG. It would makes sense that you bring in Sloan, if you actually liked him and wish you could have kept him.

    Or GV is not involved, but Roberts is a filler, so you need to replace Roberts.

    I'm sorry to the GV lovers, but i'm still hoping for something like... the 1st, GV and Henry/Smith for Jennings and Sanders.

  17. #42
    GV is not going anywhere. He is the heart and soul of this team.

  18. #43
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    GV is not going anywhere. He is the heart and soul of this team.
    Everything is for sale for the right price. Vasquez has quite a few positives, if a GM doesn't do his due diligence I can see them overvaluing his production. Or maybe the potential trade partner already has a creator at SG and thinks they can mask GV's deficiencies like we think/hope Gordon does. Milwaukee would fit that bill if they decided that Ellis was the guard they were keeping. If their goal is just to be a playoff also ran I think Vasquez could help get them there on a much cheaper contract with a much more fan friendly attitude.

  19. #44
    Starter Big-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chalfont St. Giles, UK
    Posts
    164

    Donte Greene

    Donte Greene had agreed to a contract with the Brooklyn Nets prior to the season, but he broke his ankle during a workout.
    Greene is now healthy and according to Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld, he plans to start working out for teams on Jan. 11.
    Kennedy lists the Nets, Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Hornets and San Antonio Spurs as the teams that have interest in the forward.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

    Saw this on ESPN today, do you think the Hornets would want to sign Green? I don't know much about him.

  20. #45
    NOLA Sports Addict Smow-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern Louisiana
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-O View Post
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

    Saw this on ESPN today, do you think the Hornets would want to sign Green? I don't know much about him.
    Well with the trainwreck that the position is in I hope they kick the tires on him.
    Monty, Dell, and Benson: OUR big 3!

  21. #46
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    Lets say there is a trade in the works, GV is involved... Roberts moves up, you now need a third PG. It would makes sense that you bring in Sloan, if you actually liked him and wish you could have kept him.

    Or GV is not involved, but Roberts is a filler, so you need to replace Roberts.

    I'm sorry to the GV lovers, but i'm still hoping for something like... the 1st, GV and Henry/Smith for Jennings and Sanders.
    There is no way demps would put his team in a position where brian friggin roberts would be the team's starting pg.

    And I don't think GV is going anywhere at least this year. Monty brought in Sloan to relieve GV of minutes he plays. He wouldn't care about GV's minutes if we were about to trade him.

  22. #47
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Smow- View Post
    Well with the trainwreck that the position is in I hope they kick the tires on him.
    6'11" wing? Yeah I sure hope they kick the tires.
    Wherehappens.

  23. #48
    Titanium Pelican NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Pelican Lounge
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Everything is for sale for the right price. Vasquez has quite a few positives, if a GM doesn't do his due diligence I can see them overvaluing his production. Or maybe the potential trade partner already has a creator at SG and thinks they can mask GV's deficiencies like we think/hope Gordon does. Milwaukee would fit that bill if they decided that Ellis was the guard they were keeping. If their goal is just to be a playoff also ran I think Vasquez could help get them there on a much cheaper contract with a much more fan friendly attitude.
    Skiles is now out, a lot of the fans have been praying for the "True" Tank for a long time. With the team for sale, the Bucks being a purgatory team every year and now a coaching change, their tank maybe rolling. Jennings was Skiles' guy, basically gave him the ball and free run, i don't see this move making for a more happier marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big-O View Post
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

    Saw this on ESPN today, do you think the Hornets would want to sign Green? I don't know much about him.
    Great talent, good ball handler, good 3pt shooter and 6'11, that was coming in to the NBA, had the misfortune of being drafted by the Kings and also being a 3/stretch 4, playing for the Kings. If we do have interest, it does strengthen my belief that some one like X or Smith maybe shipped out in some kind of package.

    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    There is no way demps would put his team in a position where brian friggin roberts would be the team's starting pg.

    And I don't think GV is going anywhere at least this year. Monty brought in Sloan to relieve GV of minutes he plays. He wouldn't care about GV's minutes if we were about to trade him.
    With Eric Gordon at the 2 you could start anyone at PG, at least right now, even Brian Roberts short term and i could tolerate it if i knew something better was coming. But i was just talking about Roberts minutes increasing, until, say... a Brandon Jennings learned the ropes during his orientation period.
    Last edited by NemesisKING; 01-08-2013 at 10:34 AM.

  24. #49
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    6'11" wing? Yeah I sure hope they kick the tires.
    Hopefully without actually kicking his wheels though. Might re-injure that ankle.

  25. #50
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Team will not re-sign Sloan. Roberts listed as day-to-day.

    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •