.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: Hornets to callup Donald Sloan?

  1. #1

    Hornets to callup Donald Sloan?




    Donald Sloan in Hornets?

  2. #2
    I actually really liked the dude, he was pretty handy in cleveland earlier this year. But I don't really see the point he is a scoring backup at best ala Roberts. Liking the fact we are utilising the D-league now, think there could be some role players down there.

  3. #3
    wasnt he on the team not long ago.

  4. #4
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,563

    Hornets to callup Donald Sloan?

    Yeh he was on the team last year. I really liked him.

  5. #5
    Does this mean Brian Roberts is getting the let go..

  6. #6
    The Franchise kinglio21093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,360
    Really do not understand this.

  7. #7
    Only $100,000 of Roberts $473,000 is guaranteed as of right now. It becomes fully guaranteed by 5 EST on Monday. Hornets could let him go and save money, which is obviously a priority as we have seen them dump a trade asset to save $500,000 and release McGuire before his deal became guaranteed.

    Something to watch out for. We will know by tomorrow
    @mcnamara247

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Only $100,000 of Roberts $473,000 is guaranteed as of right now. It becomes fully guaranteed by 5 EST on Monday. Hornets could let him go and save money, which is obviously a priority as we have seen them dump a trade asset to save $500,000 and release McGuire before his deal became guaranteed.

    Something to watch out for. We will know by tomorrow
    I don't think i'd consider McGuire a big trade asset. They wouldn't dump Roberts, people are high on him. I don't think it's likely, but GV being shipped out and Roberts being moved to starter short-term seems more likely than Roberts being cut. There's no reason for it. I think the McGuire signing was more to send a message to Aminu.

    But I am surprised they went the PG route instead of a stretch 3

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    I don't think i'd consider McGuire a big trade asset. They wouldn't dump Roberts, people are high on him. I don't think it's likely, but GV being shipped out and Roberts being moved to starter short-term seems more likely than Roberts being cut. There's no reason for it. I think the McGuire signing was more to send a message to Aminu.

    But I am surprised they went the PG route instead of a stretch 3

    I should have been more clear. I said they dumped a trade asset AND released McGuire. The trade asset was Warrick's (Or Carroll's) expiring contract. Those were nice chips to make salaries work and they were dumped to put $500,000 in Benson's pocket.

    Calling up Sloan means one of three things:

    1.) Release Roberts- It would be cold, but is he really that much better than Sloan, especially when you consider the Hornets are going nowhere. It's business.Is Roberts worth the extra $300,000?

    2.) Rivers to D-League- possible I suppose

    3.) A trade- Maybe Roberts or Henry is part of a deal the Hornets have on the table

    I just think #1 is very likely because of the timing of the move. Why now? Why bring up Sloan the day before you have to make the decision on Roberts and why bring up a guard when, for the first time all year, all 5 of your guards are healthy?

  10. #10
    The Franchise kinglio21093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,360
    I think it's dumb. Roberts has been pretty solid as a back up and has put up good numbers. Just to save a few bucks, is it really worth it? If the guy was earning a couple million then I can understand but he's not earning a whole lot. For a guy like Roberts he's been a pleasant surprise for this team, despite all the hate he gets.

  11. #11
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,713
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I should have been more clear. I said they dumped a trade asset AND released McGuire. The trade asset was Warrick's (Or Carroll's) expiring contract. Those were nice chips to make salaries work and they were dumped to put $500,000 in Benson's pocket.

    Calling up Sloan means one of three things:

    1.) Release Roberts- It would be cold, but is he really that much better than Sloan, especially when you consider the Hornets are going nowhere. It's business.Is Roberts worth the extra $300,000?

    2.) Rivers to D-League- possible I suppose

    3.) A trade- Maybe Roberts or Henry is part of a deal the Hornets have on the table

    I just think #1 is very likely because of the timing of the move. Why now? Why bring up Sloan the day before you have to make the decision on Roberts and why bring up a guard when, for the first time all year, all 5 of your guards are healthy?
    As much as people scoff at the idea of 500k here and 300k there, what sense does it make to take out near a mill from your bottom line from a team that has NO chance to even make the playoffs; even to a billionaire? Seems shrewd and it is to a degree, but I think it's smart.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    As much as people scoff at the idea of 500k here and 300k there, what sense does it make to take out near a mill from your bottom line from a team that has NO chance to even make the playoffs; even to a billionaire? Seems shrewd and it is to a degree, but I think it's smart.
    I scoff at it as a fan/analyst but I completely get it from a business standpoint and agree that if someone isnt going to recoup you that money either in ticket sales or performance, then it is smart to be cold and save some money

    But I cant get excited about that as a fan, nor can I advocate that these are the best moves for us on court as an analyst. That is my problem with these moves, and I will be willing to wager that if this comes to pass with Roberts, most people will be pretty upset. Hope I'm wrong, but the evidence is mounting up

  13. #13
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,713

    Hornets to callup Donald Sloan?

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I scoff at it as a fan/analyst but I completely get it from a business standpoint and agree that if someone isnt going to recoup you that money either in ticket sales or performance, then it is smart to be cold and save some money

    But I cant get excited about that as a fan, nor can I advocate that these are the best moves for us on court as an analyst. That is my problem with these moves, and I will be willing to wager that if this comes to pass with Roberts, most people will be pretty upset. Hope I'm wrong, but the evidence is mounting up
    I think the plan is to put Aminu back in the starting lineup for the remainder of the season to see what he has and with Gordon coming back it really sealed his fate. Roberts would probably only getting 12-15 mpg from here on.

    The one thing I hope as a fan, is that we're saving to spend down the line. I can get on board with saving a million in a lost season because we know we're going to have to overpay in FA.

  14. #14
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I scoff at it as a fan/analyst but I completely get it from a business standpoint and agree that if someone isnt going to recoup you that money either in ticket sales or performance, then it is smart to be cold and save some money

    But I cant get excited about that as a fan, nor can I advocate that these are the best moves for us on court as an analyst. That is my problem with these moves, and I will be willing to wager that if this comes to pass with Roberts, most people will be pretty upset. Hope I'm wrong, but the evidence is mounting up
    I have no problem with this. I think from an impact standpoint the two are comparable. But if you can get a younger, bigger and better athlete at a savings, you make that move.

    Trading out Roberts for Sloan doesn't make us worse in any category, but from a talent stand point does move us further, even if only by an inch.

  15. #15
    All-Star Ball Boy Nsingh93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    311

    Hornets to callup Donald Sloan?

    Maybe dumping Roberts and picking up Sloan so there is more minutes able to be allocated to Rivers development? After all he is the bigger investment than Roberts.

  16. #16
    Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    5,588
    Get to see this in person now -


  17. #17

    Hornets to callup Donald Sloan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nsingh93 View Post
    Maybe dumping Roberts and picking up Sloan so there is more minutes able to be allocated to Rivers development? After all he is the bigger investment than Roberts.
    This has to be the idea. Rivers need to develop playing Roberts role and Mason has already taken Rivers old role. The staff must feel confident in Gordon's recovery if they cut Roberts.

  18. #18
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    This has to be the idea. Rivers need to develop playing Roberts role and Mason has already taken Rivers old role. The staff must feel confident in Gordon's recovery if they cut Roberts.
    And Monty does get locked into certain guys, from Dell's perspective, if you have to release Roberts to open up minutes for Rivers, then Roberts has to go, he has years on Rivers and not talent over him.

  19. #19
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,563

    Hornets to callup Donald Sloan?

    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I think it's dumb. Roberts has been pretty solid as a back up and has put up good numbers. Just to save a few bucks, is it really worth it? If the guy was earning a couple million then I can understand but he's not earning a whole lot. For a guy like Roberts he's been a pleasant surprise for this team, despite all the hate he gets.
    If Roberts isn't a part of our plans for the future then it is not dumb. Sloan played solid for us last season and I actually didn't know why we didn't just keep him on the roster instead of picking up Roberts to begin with.

  20. #20
    #CauseImAsFreeAsABirdNow    Contributor   
    IamQuailman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NERLA
    Posts
    8,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Get to see this in person now -

    Double flop! lol
    People's Basketball Sim League presents...

    1995-96 Season
    C Kevin Willis | PF Brian Grant | SF Jalen Rose | SG Michael Finley | PG Terrell Brandon
    Key Reserves: Dikembe Mutombo | Todd Day






  21. #21
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,862
    Ever since Wanted I think Sloan is an awesome name to scream to the heavens in angry. Just try it.

    SLOAN! Could be his scoring song thingy.

  22. #22
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,563

    Hornets to callup Donald Sloan?

    Was never able to put together where I knew that name from.

  23. #23
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,526
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I should have been more clear. I said they dumped a trade asset AND released McGuire. The trade asset was Warrick's (Or Carroll's) expiring contract. Those were nice chips to make salaries work and they were dumped to put $500,000 in Benson's pocket.

    Calling up Sloan means one of three things:

    1.) Release Roberts- It would be cold, but is he really that much better than Sloan, especially when you consider the Hornets are going nowhere. It's business.Is Roberts worth the extra $300,000?

    2.) Rivers to D-League- possible I suppose

    3.) A trade- Maybe Roberts or Henry is part of a deal the Hornets have on the table

    I just think #1 is very likely because of the timing of the move. Why now? Why bring up Sloan the day before you have to make the decision on Roberts and why bring up a guard when, for the first time all year, all 5 of your guards are healthy?
    I hope that if they do release Roberts it's because they want to groom Rivers at PG.
    I've been saying this all season, but I guess with Gordon being out it was hard for him not to be put at SG.

    However if they aren't doing it purely to save money then why bring in Sloan.....wont he take minutes off Rivers?

  24. #24
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Jimmy Smith ‏@JimmySmithtp
    former #Hornets point guard Donald Sloan sign again to 10 day contract.

  25. #25
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,563
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Jimmy Smith ‏@JimmySmithtp
    former #Hornets point guard Donald Sloan sign again to 10 day contract.
    Any word on if we will release roberts?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •