Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hornets Winning as of late... How much credit do you give to Gordon?

Hornets Winning as of late... How much credit do you give to Gordon?

The Hornets are now 4-1 in games that Eric Gordon plays in, but I think we can all admit he is not playing very good ball per his standards. Tonight he was 2-12, 5 points, 6 assists, and 5 turnovers.

Is it correlation or causation? How much credit do you give to Gordon for the recent winning streak and how much do you give to other players, defense coming together, etc?
    @mcnamara247

I think he is a huge contributing factor
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

thats the best part, he's still far off from producing how he can but you see the better defense our team is playing, guys getting open looks.

whether great players are hot or not the other team isn't going to stop focusing on them. he's been huge

but don't let J-Smith's return get lost in all this either

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I think he is a huge contributing factor
    I think we would all agree with that- but an exact percentage. Sometimes I feel like we give him all the credit. Is that fair? Should he get 10%? 50? More? Less?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I think the defense is much improved because of Gordon so that alone is big.

Then I think he was completely responsible for the Charlotte win, and you could argue we definitely don't win against SA or DAL without him.

Has he been the best player in these 5 games? No, but I don't think we win without him so I give him a lot of the credit.

We don't win a single one of those games with out him. No question in my mind. Even tonight, he didn't score at the end, but he was setting up people left and right. Then Vasquez tried to take over, and he lost the ball 2 straight possessions.

I think its a combination of Eric Gordon and Jason Smith coming back, Grevis playing with a swagger, and better defense. I think Eric Gordon is just so much better than a Roger Mason/Rivers starting 2. Eric Gordon, even if shooting terribly creates a lot of attention and he's a willing passer especially in a pick in roll with Jason Smith. I know +/- aren't really reliable but even today he was a plus 2 on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    I think the defense is much improved because of Gordon so that alone is big.

Then I think he was completely responsible for the Charlotte win, and you could argue we definitely don't win against SA or DAL without him.

Has he been the best player in these 5 games? No, but I don't think we win without him so I give him a lot of the credit.
    This is something that nobody seems to be talking about, but he is completely locking down his man. There is a direct correlation between our massive defensive improvement as a team, and Gordon returning to the lineup.

Stats since Charlotte game (against real teams)

MPG: 30
    FG%: 31
    3pt %: 7 (not a typo)
    PPG: 13.5
    APG: 3.8
    RPG: 2.3
    TO: 3.5

Those are very similar to some Austin Rivers stretches when he was starting.

I personally think he gets some credit (25% or so) but I think it is more correlation than causation. Other guys have looked great, even when EG was on the bench. And that's what makes us scary, like CP and DX said. Imagine how good this team can be when he actually starts playing well

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    We don't win a single one of those games with out him. No question in my mind. Even tonight, he didn't score at the end, but he was setting up people left and right. Then Vasquez tried to take over, and he lost the ball 2 straight possessions.
    Okay, but do we win a single one of those games without Vasquez or Anderson? You can say that about several guys, right?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I think "his standards" was the key word. He's still replacing a guy in Austin Rivers who was playing terrible on both ends of the floor.

Guys have stepped up with him on the court, but he has a lot to do with the better defense as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    This is something that nobody seems to be talking about, but he is completely locking down his man. There is a direct correlation between our massive defensive improvement as a team, and Gordon returning to the lineup.
    Actually, our defensive rating when Gordon is off the court has seen a dramatic spike as well. These guys are playing much better overall. We can't give him credit for other guys play even when he is on the bench, can we?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

No doubt it is bc of Gordon. Even in the games he played poorly his pretense alone took pressure of of Vasquez and other players. He is penetrating at will and passing more than he ever has in his career. Ryno is the teams leading scorer and has bad some bad games recently, we haven't noticed bc of Gordon's contributions on both sides of the floor.

I dont have a number but we are 3-1 when he plays, we are on a three game winning streak against our division foes, and we playing very well defensively

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Actually, our defensive rating when Gordon is off the court has seen a dramatic spike as well. These guys are playing much better overall. We can't give him credit for other guys play even when he is on the bench, can we?
    i actually think you can, he instills confidence in his teammates, he's vocal, he's a veteran compared to a lot of these guys. it rubs off, they set a good example as starters and it carries into the bench. that energy, flow, chemistry, etc. wasn't there without him

The Hornets are now 4-1 in games that Eric Gordon plays in, but I think we can all admit he is not playing very good ball per his standards. Tonight he was 2-12, 5 points, 6 assists, and 5 turnovers.

Is it correlation or causation? How much credit do you give to Gordon for the recent winning streak and how much do you give to other players, defense coming together, etc?
    Definitely agree with this, but IDK about anyone else, I myself never really understood the whole game shape thing, and there are times where after Gordon has a few trips up and down, he just looks tired. Maybe I'm just looking too much into it though. However I do think there is something to getting arguably your best player playing again that has seemed to kick the guys up a notch
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

I would say 50%, the players on the team have a renewed sense of confidence now that the team is healthy. There are no more excuses with Gordon being on the team. The combination of confidence and a sense of pride have galvinized the team and caused them to believe that they are capable of winning games, and when they lose, it is a true reflection on them as players and not simply based on the team being incomplete (unhealthy)

"The presence" argument can't be debated. It can't be proven or unproven, so I guess some will just believe and others won't. I definitely see an improvement when he is on the floor, but I also see some guys playing much better than they were earlier this season even when he is off the floor. Aminu, for instance, plays a lot when Gordon is on the bench and looks much better. Smith is hitting his jumpers again in that 2nd unit that Gordon is not on. Mason killed it tonight and Gordon was on the bench- he had nothing to do with that run.

I guess I am just weary of giving one guy all the credit because that kind of disrespects the other guys who I think have been lights out lately, both with Gordon on and off the floor

i think the fact that we were 6-3 with him last yr also plays a role in my theory that we just play with more confidence with him on the court...monty mentioned early in the season that we didn't believe we could win...you can tell we are playing with confidence now...and by reading some of the quotes by some of the players, you can tell they believe now more than ever that they can win any game

i give him 50% credit due that and am just so excited to see how good this team can be with a healthy game-shape gordon

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I dont have a number but we are 3-1 when he plays, we are on a three game winning streak against our division foes, and we playing very well defensively
    Ahem. 4-1

When you are a 10 win team every W is huge LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Ahem. 4-1

When you are a 10 win team every W is huge LOL
    Sorry I meant meaningful ones )

can't we just enjoy that we are winning again?? lol

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    can't we just enjoy that we are winning again?? lol
    My point with this thread was to point out that other guys are playing great too. Gordon is playing poorly and we are winning. Imagine when he gets up to full speed and these other guys keep playing at this level. That will be scary

My point with this thread was to point out that other guys are playing great too. Gordon is playing poorly and we are winning. Imagine when he gets up to full speed and these other guys keep playing at this level. That will be scary
    and for the non-tankers

winning=greater chance of davis winning rookie of the yr, vasquez winning MIP, and ryno winning 6th man

If other players are stepping up their game it is more evident of a mental hurdle that was cleared rather than a increased level of skill. That being said Monty did say that he would not be able to evaluate the team fully without Gordon being healthy. The coaching may have improved along with the level of play. When you have a reliable player that returns the playbook can open up. It is obvious that the team spaces better now, and players are better understanding their roles, probably without Gordon on the court guys could not be in their proper roles, with him back, other players are free to play within their skill set rather than try to overcompensate

Thread Information