.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Is Monty responsible for some of Vasquez’s TOs?

  1. #1

    Is Monty responsible for some of Vasquez’s TOs?

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hornets-coach-monty-williams-needs-settle-one-rotation-011000254--nba.html

    “One thing I am certain of is that Williams' many different rotations are not making life easy on Greivis Vasquez. After Wednesday's action, the Hornets starting PG was tied for first place in the NBA with 109 turnovers. New Orleans fans have been overly critical of Vasquez for something that I believe is mostly not his fault. How can Vasquez develop any consistency or rhythm on the court when Monty Williams is trying so many different rotations?”

    I was somewhat surprised when I read this article as I did not think about it before. The question is: Is it legit to blame Monty’s tendency not to settle on a fixed rotation affecting Vasquez ability to connect with his team mates? I personally think is mainly Vasquez own fault, but I guess, it would not heart for him to play with the same people for a while (by the way today GV climbed up one spot and is now 3rd in APG in the league, and climbed up from 56th to 17th in A/TO ratio

  2. #2
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,554
    To me I think it comes down to both.
    Lets assess him at seasons end not 32 games in.
    Vasquez is what he is as a PG.

    I dont care what anyone say's for 1.2M this season there is no one better then him playing PG.
    You pay for what you get and I think he is great value.

    We have over 17M on wasted salaries this season (Lewis and Carrol).
    Next season will be exciting.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 01-03-2013 at 10:06 PM.

  3. #3
    other than Aminu being removed the only other changes that have happened to our starter who GV spends most of his minutes playing with was due to injuries. When healthy, you know Robin & Davis are starting at the bigs with Anderson most likely finishing. The main rotation changes happen with our second unit who GV doesn't spend a substantial amount of time with

  4. #4
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Of the 91 players averaging at least 30 minutes per game, 17 players (none of which are Lillard) have an AST%/TO% ratio exceeding 2. Only 10 players have a ratio higher than Greivis’ 2.228: George Hill (2.261), Jrue Holiday (2.353), Deron Williams (2.423), Kyle Lowry (2.437), Raymond Felton (2.628), Kemba Walker (2.746), LeBron “I’m not a point guard” James (2.966), Russell Westbrook (3.088), Tony Parker (3.313), and Chris Paul (3.383).

    In other words, Greivis passes alot, so he gets a ton of assists and turnovers. He passes effectively though and is likely top 10 among high minute players on some nights.
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  5. #5
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,260
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Of the 91 players averaging at least 30 minutes per game, 17 players (none of which are Lillard) have an AST%/TO% ratio exceeding 2. Only 10 players have a ratio higher than Greivis’ 2.228: George Hill (2.261), Jrue Holiday (2.353), Deron Williams (2.423), Kyle Lowry (2.437), Raymond Felton (2.628), Kemba Walker (2.746), LeBron “I’m not a point guard” James (2.966), Russell Westbrook (3.088), Tony Parker (3.313), and Chris Paul (3.383).

    In other words, Greivis passes alot, so he gets a ton of assists and turnovers. He passes effectively though and is likely top 10 among high minute players on some nights.
    I would question if he passes "effectively", when you have Ryan Anderson commenting on how open he is with Gordon on the court. His assists, though numerous, mostly never seem to be "effective" nor efficient. You can count on Vasquez missing at least 5 PnR opportunities and just as many fast break opportunities every game. Davis should be getting 5 alley oops per game. The offense slows to a crawl when it has to depend on GV to run it because of what he is asked to do, which ends up in him holding on to the ball until 5 - 8 seconds left on the shot clock.

    I kinda do blame Monty for his turns but not because of the rotations. It's more because of the type of offense they ask him to run. It's meant for an attacking, aggresive, quick player like Gordon. Vasquez's assists just come from him having the ball in his hands for so long and his assists hardly result in wide open looks.

    Vasquez skills are best either off the ball or in a motion offense like the Timberwolves run.

  6. #6
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    He must get all those assists on misses, which never happen with any other player, who get theirs on makes.

    Gotta be it.

    All that stuff about a ton of assists and good ration compared to turnovers is just hooey. Stupid counting-things-that-actually-happen.

  7. #7
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,260
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    He must get all those assists on misses, which never happen with any other player, who get theirs on makes.

    Gotta be it.

    All that stuff about a ton of assists and good ration compared to turnovers is just hooey. Stupid counting-things-that-actually-happen.
    If you completely miss the point, then i'd wager it'd be pretty foolish to reply in a snarky manner.

    Toss the ball to Anderson and he still makes a fall away/3 point shot with a hand in his face, it's still an assist. Or, split the hedge, draw some defenders, hit Anderson all alone in the corner or Davis on an alley, still an assist, but much more efficient within the offense. Like causing a turnover that goes out of bounds vs. causing one that starts a wide open fast break.

    Get the point? Just counting numbers says nothing. Context. Ask Enron or Sunbeam. You follow? Who am I kidding. It's HR.

  8. #8
    The Franchise goat gorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,295
    I hope, and I mean hope, that watching Gordon split the trap on PnR or driving will rub off on GV and Rivers. In watching them it is obvious they just don't think they can. They are fully capable, just lack confidence in doing it. I wish they could add that to their arsenal. By doing so it will eliminate bad late passes and missed Bigs rolling to basket wide open. It will increase their assist total and potentially add an easy bucket or two/game.

  9. #9
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    I get your point.

    My point is you are completely dismissing facts in favor of your self-appointed-expert opinion of what one of the best passers in the NBA should be doing while ignoring what said NBA passer thinks he should be doing.

    I'll go with reality.

  10. #10
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,923
    Lucky man is absolutely right
    PelicansReport.com Sim League
    New Orleans Hornets General Manager

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    other than Aminu being removed the only other changes that have happened to our starter who GV spends most of his minutes playing with was due to injuries. When healthy, you know Robin & Davis are starting at the bigs with Anderson most likely finishing. The main rotation changes happen with our second unit who GV doesn't spend a substantial amount of time with
    This. Also add in the fact that the other four players on the court with GV are young and/or weren't on the roster last year.

    It's probably more that he is a victim of circumstance than bad coaching.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If you completely miss the point, then i'd wager it'd be pretty foolish to reply in a snarky manner.

    Toss the ball to Anderson and he still makes a fall away/3 point shot with a hand in his face, it's still an assist. Or, split the hedge, draw some defenders, hit Anderson all alone in the corner or Davis on an alley, still an assist, but much more efficient within the offense. Like causing a turnover that goes out of bounds vs. causing one that starts a wide open fast break.

    Get the point? Just counting numbers says nothing. Context. Ask Enron or Sunbeam. You follow? Who am I kidding. It's HR.

    You have a point. But other point guards get such easy assists, too. It all evens out.

  13. #13
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,727
    I sometimes hate the tone of this board.

  14. #14
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,727
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklvyn View Post
    You have a point. But other point guards get such easy assists, too. It all evens out.
    Does it though? If you have better shooters how does it even out with a guy who has a bunch of guys who can't shoot?

  15. #15
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,905
    Very disappointed that Austin doesn't split that double team. He's rarely decisive. It's like he's trying to not make mistakes more than just play and attack where he sees an opening.
    Now I provide life insurance benefits.

  16. #16



















































































































































































    Net (Per 100 Poss)
    Rk Lineup Tm MP AST TOV
    1 A. Aminu | R. Anderson | R. Lopez | R. Mason | G. Vasquez NOH 149:37 0.0 +6.5
    2 A. Aminu | R. Anderson | R. Lopez | A. Rivers | G. Vasquez NOH 106:27 -12.3 -0.6
    3 A. Davis | R. Lopez | A. Rivers | L. Thomas | G. Vasquez NOH 98:08 -10.0 +2.3
    4 A. Aminu | A. Davis | R. Lopez | A. Rivers | G. Vasquez NOH 80:33 +3.9 +4.5
    5 R. Anderson | X. Henry | R. Lopez | R. Mason | G. Vasquez NOH 32:22 +0.3 +5.6
    6 A. Aminu | R. Anderson | A. Rivers | J. Smith | G. Vasquez NOH 28:54 -3.6 +7.1
    7 A. Aminu | R. Anderson | A. Davis | A. Rivers | G. Vasquez NOH 24:24 -1.3 -4.6
    8 R. Anderson | X. Henry | R. Lopez | A. Rivers | G. Vasquez NOH 23:15 -25.2 +0.3
    9 R. Anderson | A. Davis | A. Rivers | L. Thomas | G. Vasquez NOH 22:11 +1.1 +0.8
    10 R. Anderson | A. Davis | A. Rivers | B. Roberts | G. Vasquez NOH 22:07 +12.7 -9.2
    11 R. Anderson | R. Lopez | D. Miller | A. Rivers | G. Vasquez NOH 22:02 +14.7 -9.7
    12 A. Aminu | R. Anderson | A. Davis | R. Mason | G. Vasquez NOH 21:36 +12.4 -0.8
    13 A. Aminu | R. Anderson | R. Mason | J. Smith | G. Vasquez NOH 21:16 +19.2 +12.7
    14 R. Anderson | A. Davis | D. McGuire | A. Rivers | G. Vasquez NOH 19:02 -12.7 +20.3
    15 A. Aminu | R. Anderson | R. Lopez | D. Miller | G. Vasquez NOH 18:08 -4.4 +6.8
    16 R. Anderson | A. Davis | R. Mason | L. Thomas | G. Vasquez NOH 16:35 -11.3 -7.8
    17 A. Aminu | A. Davis | R. Lopez | R. Mason | G. Vasquez NOH 14:36 -23.6 +0.4
    18 R. Anderson | A. Davis | E. Gordon | R. Mason | G. Vasquez NOH 14:29 -10.9 -1.6
    19 A. Aminu | R. Lopez | A. Rivers | J. Smith | G. Vasquez NOH 13:23 +7.4 +14.8
    20 A. Aminu | R. Lopez | R. Mason | J. Smith | G. Vasquez NOH 12:43 -1.6 -6.9
    Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 1/4/2013.


  17. #17
    Ked' sme sami som tak rád.. Kurgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Italia/Žilina/Praha
    Posts
    3,031
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I sometimes hate the tone of this board.
    You don't say.

  18. #18
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    935
    So basically this thread is about justifying GV as a starter, create the illusion that one GV's weaknesses isn't actually a weakness, it's a coaching error or flaws of his team mates.

    Priceless, next thing will be he's not actually an inferior athlete, Monty's ole man basketball holds him his talents back, slows him up.

    GV is the starter now, because we want to compete while the young guys learn and the alternative right now is scary and you want a young team to compete and not get used to losing.

    At the same time wanting to win means you want the best possible players, at all positions. This whole idea that GV could be good enough with Eric Gordon is disrespectful to EG, you stick him with a pg who can't whole his own on the defensive end and dishes out more than his share of turnovers.

    He's needs a partner to take pressure off of his back and knee and at times bare the brunt, he's doesn't need somebody laying on his leg.

  19. #19
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    I posted something refuting naive comments in the article in the OP.

    GV is among the worst of players getting over 30mpg in many offensice categories and on defense.

    Passing, he can do.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    So basically this thread is about justifying GV as a starter, create the illusion that one GV's weaknesses isn't actually a weakness, it's a coaching error or flaws of his team mates..
    The point of this thread (at least the point I wanted to make) is not that GV is a good starter, or should be consider one in the NBA. If you read the last part of my post, I said that in my opinion GV’s TOs are not Montys fault, but Vasquez own fault. I just wanted to have other people opinion on that

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I would question if he passes "effectively",

    I absolutely agree that GV defence is terrible, and he is too slow and turns the ball over too much. But the argument that he is not an efficient passer is nonsense. Look, playing in a talented limited team (given Gordon has been out) the only way that a PG gets 9 APG over 30 games is if he is a good distributor, and there is no way around it. You could argue that you can get a lot of points if you shot a lot (like JJ last year when he would take 35 shots and make 20 points), but that does not apply to assists.

  22. #22
    Gravy haters coming out. Who do you guys want? It's obviously you don't want him, so I'm just asking.

  23. #23
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,727

    Is Monty responsible for some of Vasquez’s TOs?

    I want gravy, but not as a starter. I wouldn't mind Kyle Lowry or Brandon Jennings

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Does it though? If you have better shooters how does it even out with a guy who has a bunch of guys who can't shoot?

    You are funny, making it sounds like now we have a lot of great shooters that shot with a hand in their face more than any other NBA teams.

    Getting assists is way more difficult when you are on a bad team.

  25. #25

    Is Monty responsible for some of Vasquez’s TOs?

    Quote Originally Posted by jacklvyn View Post
    You are funny, making it sounds like now we have a lot of great shooters that shot with a hand in their face more than any other NBA teams.

    Getting assists is way more difficult when you are on a bad team.
    Unless every assists Vasquez dishes out is a lay up or a dunk, the player who takes the shot has to make it in order for it to count as an assist for Vasquez. So yes, it does take two to tangle. Keep in mind Vasquez handles the ball 80 percent of the time so he should really have a good assists rate regardless.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •