Pelicans Report

Thread: FIVE GAME STAT PACK PT #1

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

FIVE GAME STAT PACK PT #1

The New Orleans Hornets have played five games this season and stand at 3-2. Today, let's look at some team trends that have evolved over that group of games.

PACE: The Hornets average 91.6 possessions per game, which ranks them No. 29 in the NBA.

I always evaluate shot locations, both on the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. It tells the story about where teams are getting their shots and reveals the story about ball and player movement and how effective a team is in defending those actions.

AT THE RIM: Hornet shot attempts less than five feet from the basket chart at 81-of-136 (59.6 FG%).

A very impressive stat within those numbers is that 62 percent of those scores are the result of an assist.

In Games 1 and 2, the Hornets averaged 31 shot attempts "at the rim." In Games 3 and 4, that average dipped to 18 attempts per game. Not having Anthony Davis in those game was a big reason.

When Davis returned for the Charlotte game (where he was 6-of-10 "at the rim"), the team attempts from that area was 27 ... an increase of nine attempts over the previous two games. Aminu and Davis combined for 16 attempts "at the rim" with a 11-of-16 success rate.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

Good stuff V. I'd like to hear some defensive stats. Adande has the SOBOA ( Shots over Bynum's outstretched arms). SODOA! Would be nice to track that and the same type of devensive stats you tracked for the hornets offense. IE how many more shots per game are they averaging over us (since we're 29th at pace). How much less they shoot bc of our pace than their normal pace etc. How do we fare against teams with fast pace versus slower pace. Zone to Man %. Things like this are of big interest to me !

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    Over the LAST THREE losses opponents are:

Ave 109 per game for a +8 diffeernetial.

- ave 3.7 more fg's made
    - 3 more att"s per game
    - making 4 more 3's per game
    - and attemtping 7.7 more 3's

- Houston 19/30 att"s at the rim...10-29 with 3's
    -OKC 23/36 at the rim...

Too many attempts in the lane/rim being allowed by the Hornets defense+ opponents wide spacing to set up 3's has been a major problem for New Orleans......its simply an issue of quicks vs slower footed guards....

More defensive trends coming up!
    Last edited by gerryv; 11-20-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Thread Information