Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Alex Len, Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think you gotta get to 3 to take Len. Bobcats will run to the podium if he is on the board.

I personally don't love Len. He is 8th on my board, so I wouldn't mind him at 6, but wouldn't trade up. But #4 is as low as I think he goes now that GM's are all excited about what Gasol and Hibbert did this postseason
    I don't think Charlotte passes on mclemore for Len. Phoenix either. Itll be interesting to see. I think he has a really good chance to go #1. I know ford has mclemore at 6 on big board. I just don't see it happening. I'd crap a brick if mclemore was there at 6. Lol. So, I see porter,mclemore, oladipo and possibly Noel & Bennett going before Len. Def the 1st 3 for sure. Who knows tho.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Who do you think we will pick at 6 if Saric does pull out?
    If I had to handicap it right now, I would say Porter is most likely, followed by trade, followed by Burke or MCW.

I know Porter's camp is trying to make everybody think he is a lock for top 3, but Cleveland and Orlando aren't taking him. If Washington trades the pick or takes someone else, he will be there at 6.

Think Dell really hunts for a trade these next two weeks, trying to secure a young vet.

If both those fall through, I think they will debate MCW, Burke, and Zeller feverishly. Zeller is my wild card. Dell scouted him at IU several times in last two years.
    @mcnamara247

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Noel there when we pick. I don't think we will take him tho. He could slide pretty far for once being the consensus #1.

Think Dell really hunts for a trade these next two weeks, trying to secure a young vet.
    In your opinion what is a realistic deal Dell would jump on?

Quote Originally Posted by jhow0036 View Post
    In your opinion what is a realistic deal Dell would jump on?
    Wilson Chandler and 27 for 6, maybe.

Honestly, I think it would have to be a three teamer, where we get a young vet, that team gets a more grizzled vet, and the team sending the grizzled vet gets the pick. Something like:

Pelicans get Bledsoe
    Clippers get: Garnett and Courtney Lee
    Celtics get: DeAndre Jordan, 6th pick

But who knows who is on the block honestly. With all these GMs and coaches switching, teams might want to start fresh, bring in their own guys, etc. Maybe the new GM in Denver doesn't like Javale McGee. Maybe the new Raps GM doesnt like Derozen or Ross. Maybe the Philly GM doesnt like Thaddeus Young. Etc, etc

At first I was like most and not high on Len. The more I think/watch of him, the more I like. He's a legit 7 footer with game! He's not the usual 7 foot stiff with zero athleticism. I was higher on Cody Zeller at first as well, but I'm not sure he can play center. Now I know Alex Len can play center and I think he will be a pretty good one. I think the same people that don't want Len, wouldn't have wanted Pau or Mark Gasol either in the draft. I guarantee most of those same people would want either now that they know they can play in this league. I hope you are right and he will got top 5. The one thing that scares me is the ankle injury as well. I hope you are right that he will be a top 5 pick. Then either Zeller, Bennett, or Burke sneak into the top 6 and we end up with one of three I have wanted thru this whole process. If we can land either Otto Porter, Victor Oladipo, or Ben McLemore I will be one really happy camper. My Pelican wish list:

1. Ben McLemore
    2. Otto Porter
    3. Victor Oladipo
    4. Nerlens Noel
    5. Alex Len
    6. Shabazz Muhammed

So it's best case McLemore and worse case Muhammed. I think Shabazz will be a better pro than he was a college player. You can't say he doesn't work hard and can't do something this team really needs, SCORING! I like Burke, but would rather go with a small forward or center.

Wilson Chandler and 27 for 6, maybe.

Honestly, I think it would have to be a three teamer, where we get a young vet, that team gets a more grizzled vet, and the team sending the grizzled vet gets the pick. Something like:

Pelicans get Bledsoe
    Clippers get: Garnett and Courtney Lee
    Celtics get: DeAndre Jordan, 6th pick

But who knows who is on the block honestly. With all these GMs and coaches switching, teams might want to start fresh, bring in their own guys, etc. Maybe the new GM in Denver doesn't like Javale McGee. Maybe the new Raps GM doesnt like Derozen or Ross. Maybe the Philly GM doesnt like Thaddeus Young. Etc, etc
    I like Chandler alot. A trade down in this particular draft - given that we do get a later pick - is probably a smarter move than most years, given how deep/leveled off the talent seems to be.

I'd be less excited if we got no pick at all back, though ... you like to have those cheaper draft pick contracts to build around and have control of for awhile.

I think you gotta get to 3 to take Len.
    This is a shocker to me.
    SIGN A SF

Jimmy Smith ‏@JimmySmith504 2h
    Hearing that C Alex Len, who visited with #Pelicans on Friday, is now the likely choice for #Cavs at No. 1 spot in next week's draft.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    I would laugh.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Ugh. I really wanted Porter but he rose above us. I really wanted Len but looks like he'll rise above us. Now Burke is my settle pick as he's next best on who I think will be available.
    @DanielVeuleman

If I had to handicap it right now, I would say Porter is most likely, followed by trade, followed by Burke or MCW.

I know Porter's camp is trying to make everybody think he is a lock for top 3, but Cleveland and Orlando aren't taking him. If Washington trades the pick or takes someone else, he will be there at 6.

If both those fall through, I think they will debate MCW, Burke, and Zeller feverishly. Zeller is my wild card. Dell scouted him at IU several times in last two years.
    I know several Jazz fans who beam about Gordon Hayward. They say he's a terrific on ball defender and just gets the job done with superb effort, filling every attribute just about. What's your opinion if you trade 6 for Hayward and maybe on e of the Jazz's picks?

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I would laugh.

I'd jump for joy. So long as the Wizards take Bennett at #3, then Porter would almost certainly fall to 6.

I also wouldn't be too surprised considering this is the same team that took Dion Waiters #4 when many weren't even sure if he was a lottery pick for most of the draft process.
    Last edited by bradael; 06-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    I know several Jazz fans who beam about Gordon Hayward. They say he's a terrific on ball defender and just gets the job done with superb effort, filling every attribute just about. What's your opinion if you trade 6 for Hayward and maybe on e of the Jazz's picks?
    If you called the Jazz and offered AD for Hayward, they would actually think about it. I am telling you, he is a GOD in Utah. I don't think Jazz would trade him for #6 and another asset like GV. He is as close to untouchable as a role player gets. Its weird.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    I'd jump for joy. So long as the Wizards take Bennett at #3, then Porter would almost certainly fall to 6.

I also wouldn't be too surprised considering this is the same team that took Dion Waiters #4 when many weren't even sure if he was a lottery pick for most of the draft process.
    Basically, you need Bennett to go in top 5 to get one of the big guys to fall. Len is a lock for top 4. Noel is a virtual lock. If Bennett goes in top 5, Oladipo, McLemore, or Porter drops to 6. Most likely Porter

If you called the Jazz and offered AD for Hayward, they would actually think about it. I am telling you, he is a GOD in Utah. I don't think Jazz would trade him for #6 and another asset like GV. He is as close to untouchable as a role player gets. Its weird.

They really do love him! What do YOU think of him? Also, loving the draft class, man!

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post

They really do love him! What do YOU think of him? Also, loving the draft class, man!
    He is a Spurs (or Pelicans) type of player, in that he is very versatile. He can play on the ball or off. He also is surprisingly good in transition and his effort is always there. I think he can be a top 5-7 SF in his prime. Could be on that Batum level, maybe a little better

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    He just belongs to that team. When I think "Utah Jazz" I think of players that fit his mold plus he's still young and his role increases each season.

I like Zeller on his own as a prospect and I think his issues against Syracuse came down to attacking it in a poor way vs. any real physical limitations on his part. I do think if we got him, though, we'd be wise to start moving toward picking up the tempo. Zeller is really athletic and would be a major asset in the open court - both of our bigs would be, for that matter - so to maximize that front court you wanna be running and having those guys beat the less athletic bigs down the floor for easy buckets.

I think he'll make a nice pick for someone. My issue with Zeller for us, though, is that it doesn't really address the need for a better "defensive" frontcourt pairing than Anderson/Davis. Neither would Bennett, but at least with Bennett I think it gives you a chance at a legit go-to scorer. Given that, I'd probably lean to taking Burke and just playing Anderson and AD together more (something I think needs to happen regardless).

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    I like Zeller on his own as a prospect and I think his issues against Syracuse came down to attacking it in a poor way vs. any real physical limitations on his part. I do think if we got him, though, we'd be wise to start moving toward picking up the tempo. Zeller is really athletic and would be a major asset in the open court - both of our bigs would be, for that matter - so to maximize that front court you wanna be running and having those guys beat the less athletic bigs down the floor for easy buckets.

I think he'll make a nice pick for someone. My issue with Zeller for us, though, is that it doesn't really address the need for a better "defensive" frontcourt pairing than Anderson/Davis. Neither would Bennett, but at least with Bennett I think it gives you a chance at a legit go-to scorer. Given that, I'd probably lean to taking Burke and just playing Anderson and AD together more (something I think needs to happen regardless).
    It depends. If we are talking about defense strictly with regard to post D, then you are right. But if you put AD and Zeller at 4/5, you can keep them both on the court when teams go small because they can both defend in the P&R. Spurs had to take Splitter off the court as the Heat went small. They wouldn't have to if Zeller was on the team.

A guy like Pekovic makes you better at defending the post, but he can be exposed in the P&R. Zeller is the opposite. Which is more important? I can see both arguments, but in this day and age, I think having two frontline guys who can hedge and get back or even switch in the P&R is invaluable. How many great P&R perimeter players are there vs. how many great low post players are there? When you look at it that way, wouldn't a great P&R defending big be more valuable than a great low post defender?

It depends. If we are talking about defense strictly with regard to post D, then you are right. But if you put AD and Zeller at 4/5, you can keep them both on the court when teams go small because they can both defend in the P&R. Spurs had to take Splitter off the court as the Heat went small. They wouldn't have to if Zeller was on the team.

A guy like Pekovic makes you better at defending the post, but he can be exposed in the P&R. Zeller is the opposite. Which is more important? I can see both arguments, but in this day and age, I think having two frontline guys who can hedge and get back or even switch in the P&R is invaluable. How many great P&R perimeter players are there vs. how many great low post players are there? When you look at it that way, wouldn't a great P&R defending big be more valuable than a great low post defender?
    Good points. Having bigs that can move is a major plus in today's game; it's one of the reasons I can see so many teams in love with Len, cause he's a big guy that can do just that. Ditto with an Andre Drummond. From an athletic standpoint he's an upgrade on Anderson, for sure.

From an athletic standpoint he's an upgrade on Anderson, for sure.
    I wouldn't go that far. Anderson is extremely mobile for a big man.

Good points. Having bigs that can move is a major plus in today's game; it's one of the reasons I can see so many teams in love with Len, cause he's a big guy that can do just that. Ditto with an Andre Drummond. From an athletic standpoint he's an upgrade on Anderson, for sure.
    IMO, you gotta choose. Do you want your bigs to be able to defend the post or the P&R? Of course you want both, but that's just not realistic. I would invite teams to try to beat me from the low post. So much easier to defend than the P&R and so few guys who are effective in the low post. P&R offense gets your defense all out of whack when you have a liability on the court. People love that Lopez can defend post players, but who cares? How many of them are there? Give me two bigs who are great in the P&R and I will sacrifice post D for that

Pick and roll is the bread and butter of the nba and post play is a dying race. Gotta go with pick and roll.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I think the Pacers beat the heat next year and we'll all be talking about how we will need someone to guard Hibbert.

Thread Information