Pelicans Report

Thread: Is This Lineup Possible?

Is This Lineup Possible?

Draft Burke
    Sign Iggy
    Lopez and GV in a sign and trade for Pek?

Would the Timberwolves do this? I know they want cap space to get a good shooting guard, it would free up money for them to get oj mayo or tyreke.

burke
    gordon
    iggy
    davis
    pek

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Draft Burke
    Sign Iggy
    Lopez and GV in a sign and trade for Pek?

Would the Timberwolves do this? I know they want cap space to get a good shooting guard, it would free up money for them to get oj mayo or tyreke.

burke
    gordon
    iggy
    davis
    pek
    It depends on the amount Iggy gets. He may have to sacrifice some $, but I have no clue honestly.

I like

Rondo
    Gordon
    Iggy
    Davis
    Jason Smith

We do this by trading GV and Lopez and #6 for Rondo (after the Celtics blow it up), and we sign Iggy.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Maybe it could work, but we would be paying the luxury tax. We would most likely have to get rid of Ryan Anderson to get under the cap, cause Pek and Iggy would demand 11-15 million a piece. With Gordon making 14 and Anderson making 8, that would be +/-48 million in only 4 players. That's not counting Davis, Rivers, and Smith. We would have to sign a bunch of bums at the league minimum to fill out our roster and stay under the tax.

in that case id rather ryno for 8 than pek for 12-14 million

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I like

Rondo
    Gordon
    Iggy
    Davis
    Jason Smith

We do this by trading GV and Lopez and #6 for Rondo (after the Celtics blow it up), and we sign Iggy.
    that is not enough for rondo
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Lopez and Vasquez are scheduled to make 7.3 million next year. Per the CBA, even if we went up to or over the cap with Iggy, we could trade those two for 11 million dollars in incoming salary (150% plus $100,000)

So, the T'Wolves can start Pek out at 11 with 7.5% bumps and then trade him to us for GV and Lopez. Long story short, a 4 year, approximately 48 million dollar contract can be agreed on even if we are at or above the cap (after signing Iggy) and then Pek can be traded to us for GV and Vasquez.

Same holds true for someone like Brandon Jennings if, let's say, we draft Len and sign Iggy.

You can also add more money to that that package and get someone like Granger or Deng after you get up to the cap. For instance, lets say you draft Burke and sign Pek, taking up all your space. You can put GV, Smith, and Lopez in a package for Deng or Granger even though there is a 5 million dollar difference in incoming and outgoing salary.

The new CBA really loosened trade parameters, and if Dell plays it right, he can really stretch every dollar this offseason.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 06-18-2013 at 12:39 AM.
    @mcnamara247

Why the hell would the Wolves trade Pek for this garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Lopez and Vasquez are scheduled to make 7.3 million next year. Per the CBA, even if we went up to or over the cap with Iggy, we could trade those two for 11 million dollars in incoming salary (150% plus $100,000)
    I don't really understand how this is done.

Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post
    I don't really understand how this is done.
    We can only use whatever space we have with Iggy, but technically after we use all that space we will give our rookie 120% of his draft slot, so when we sign him we will go over the cap, instead of just hitting it.

Whatever, it is all technical little stuff that doesn't really matter. All that really matters is that the trade rules are much more flexible now then they were prior to this CBA, so if you want to move Lopez/GV in a S&T, you would probably be best suited to use your cap space first and then trade them if you want to get the most bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    that is not enough for rondo
    #6, GV, and Lopez aren't enough? They will be blowing things up in Boston and will have Bledsoe coming in. That is enough, need I mention how little the Magic got for Howard, or what we were about to get from the Lakers for Paul? Rondo isn't on either of their "Superstar" level. We could get Rondo for that much.

#6, GV, and Lopez aren't enough? They will be blowing things up in Boston and will have Bledsoe coming in. That is enough, need I mention how little the Magic got for Howard, or what we were about to get from the Lakers for Paul? Rondo isn't on either of their "Superstar" level. We could get Rondo for that much.
    I see this argument made a lot, and while it appears to make sense, it really doesn't at the end of the day.

The argument is: Player X needs to be traded and/or is leaving anyway, so the team will trade them for less than their actual value because it is better than getting nothing.

When the truth is that the team will trade them for the best offer they can get from the other 29 teams.

So it's not: Is Lopez, Gravy, and #6 better than nothing?

It is: Is Gravy, Lopez, and #6 better than all the other offers available to Boston would get from the other 29 teams?

If Boston puts Rondo on the market, I am positive they will receive an offer better than two slow footed backups and the 6th pick in what most GM's believe is the worst draft in the last six years.

At the end of the day it's Boston looking to get younger and get flexibility. This move allows them to do just that, while also providing them with trade pieces. If they really are set on blowing things up after Doc leaves, and a Porter or Mohammed are there with our pick (and they have Bledsoe at that point being the key) they would make this move. I am sure they will get many offers but at the end of the day; our offer will be the most cap friendly, and allow them a key player in that #6 draft pick.

I for one hope we draft Trey. Go Blue!
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 06-18-2013 at 08:28 AM.

How can you say they would make the move without considering what offers they would have from the other 29 teams?

While I agree they need to get younger and could blow it all up, why do you seem to think we would be the only team who can help them do that? The Magic, for instance, could destroy any offer we would make. The Magic could give them #2 and younger, better assets like Harkless, Harris, Vucevic, etc.

If they put Rondo on the market, other teams could and would make way better offers than 2 backups and a mid lotto pick in a bad draft for him. We would have to make a much better offer to trump those offers, and that's even if they put him out there, which I doubt they will.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    How can you say they would make the move without considering what offers they would have from the other 29 teams?

While I agree they need to get younger and could blow it all up, why do you seem to think we would be the only team who can help them do that? The Magic, for instance, could destroy any offer we would make. The Magic could give them #2 and younger, better assets like Harkless, Harris, Vucevic, etc.

If they put Rondo on the market, other teams could and would make way better offers than 2 backups and a mid lotto pick in a bad draft for him. We would have to make a much better offer to trump those offers, and that's even if they put him out there, which I doubt they will.
    While I see and agree with what your saying, I am throwing out the best package that we could logically offer. It's not sexy, but neither was the offer that the Lakers made for CP3. Nor was the offer that the Magic got for Howard. Sometimes all it takes is for a rookie to blow a team away in practice and you have all the ground you need for a move of an All Star player for a draft pick (see John Bender to the Pacers for Antonio Davis in 01'). Sometimes its the most logical, and not as sexy trade that goes down.

Quite frankly trade for Rondo and sign Iggy; or not, I wouldnt be upset keeping GV and Lopez. I believe that both are set to break out this year.

PG: Jeff Teague / Vasquez / Roberts
    SG: Eric Gordon / Rivers / Mason
    SF: Otto Porter / Dorrell Wright / Miller
    PF: Anthony Davis / Anderson /Thomas
    C: Robin Lopez / Smith /Amundson

This team makes the playoffs.

We pay Teague 8 million, Wright 3 million and draft Otto Porter.

Let Henry, Aminu, Amundson and Harris walk,

While I see and agree with what your saying, I am throwing out the best package that we could logically offer. It's not sexy, but neither was the offer that the Lakers made for CP3. Nor was the offer that the Magic got for Howard. Sometimes all it takes is for a rookie to blow a team away in practice and you have all the ground you need for a move of an All Star player for a draft pick (see John Bender to the Pacers for Antonio Davis in 01'). Sometimes its the most logical, and not as sexy trade that goes down.

Quite frankly trade for Rondo and sign Iggy; or not, I wouldnt be upset keeping GV and Lopez. I believe that both are set to break out this year.
    What you are forgetting is that CP3 and Howard had a very small list of teams that they would go to. That, more than anything, kept the offers low.

If Rondo demands to be traded to New Orleans, you are right, we can get him for 50 cents on the dollar. Since I have never heard a player demand to be traded to New Orleans, I would say that is unlikely.

While I didn't take that into account, that doesn't mean that the rules have changed on getting a star player for loose change (hello James Harden and Latrell). Guys get moved quite frequently for pieces that don't make sense to anyone but the traders at the time. If Boston is going full rebuild and already have guys like Jordan and Bledsoe as well as Terry and Sullinger that they are working with (I am not sold on them going forward with Terry FWIW), their needs change. They will be looking to mix in a good young player (enter Porter) with two guys who will have big contracts (Jordan, Bledsoe, Terry). A couple of nice contracts to sure of their bench in GV and Lopez make sense far more than another max contract player who they wont be able to afford.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Sorry to be the jerk of the board, but Iggy is not coming here. Its fun to think about because if we don't spend our money on him what will we spend it on? But it takes two to sign a contract. He'll go where he can make bank and contend, because that's what aging stars do.

Should he sign, I'll eat a ton of crow and love it. He won't though.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Sorry to be the jerk of the board, but Iggy is not coming here. Its fun to think about because if we don't spend our money on him what will we spend it on? But it takes two to sign a contract. He'll go where he can make bank and contend, because that's what aging stars do.

Should he sign, I'll eat a ton of crow and love it. He won't though.
    I don't think he signs here for the same reasons you laid out. And not to sound any more negative but we won't be contending next year either. I believe we are another year away from making noise and being a threat in the west.

Thread Information