Pelicans Report

Thread: Could Eric Gordon be...

Could Eric Gordon be...

the Point Guard we have been looking for?

Think about it. He is the same size as Westbrook, Rose.
    He attacks just like they do. He has the ability to get to the rim and distribute like a PG. He shoots it better than both.

Why not start:
    PG: Eric Gordon
    SG: Austin Rivers
    SF: ?
    PF: Anthony Davis
    C: Robin Lopez

Off the bench:
    Vaquez
    Mason
    ?
    Anderson
    Smith

It makes perfect sense to me.

He is SO much better and lethal with the ball in his hands. AND he likes to pass the ball.

Just a thought for the new year.

Could Eric Gordon be...

A lot of it is what he's comfortable with. He seems more inclined to bring the ball up in the 2nd half than in the first. Also, consider that handling the ball more often could put additional stress on that knee.

I don't love scoring PG's it kills the vibe of the team. And when you can stop or slow him down you cripple the team.

Westbrook can get away with it because of Durant, but guys who look to get their own offense more often than not usually hurt their team. I know Gordon is a decent passer and playmaker for others, however not to the level of being the full time PG IMO. Although at this point it couldn't hurt to try it.

Teams play combo guards nowadays. I don't think there is restriction on PG, SG. It will be awesome if both guards can penetrate, pass, and score.

From what I heard, it's the plan to have 2 combo guards in our starting lineup in Gordon and Rivers. They will swish between PG and SG at ease and become a nightmare for any defense.
    But Rivers has a long way to go. Hopefully he can learn from EG !!!
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

Can we stuff players into completely fabricated `positions' even more?

I like the term 'lead guard' better than anything else out there. He is the guy who leads the attack on offense. If the OP is asking- "Can Eric Gordon be the lead guard on this team?" then the answer is yes and has always been yes. His backcourt mate needs to be able to spot up and attack when the ball is rotated around to him after Gordon has gotten the defense off balance.

Vasquez does both of these things very well, as I chronicled last week. Rivers, with some work and time, has the ability to do these things at an elite level
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I like the term 'lead guard' better than anything else out there. He is the guy who leads the attack on offense. If the OP is asking- "Can Eric Gordon be the lead guard on this team?" then the answer is yes and has always been yes. His backcourt mate needs to be able to spot up and attack when the ball is rotated around to him after Gordon has gotten the defense off balance.

Vasquez does both of these things very well, as I chronicled last week. Rivers, with some work and time, has the ability to do these things at an elite level
    this is why i would rather pick either marcus smart or cj mccollum over michael carter williams if we do not trade for a pg

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    this is why i would rather pick either marcus smart or cj mccollum over michael carter williams if we do not trade for a pg
    Love love love Marcus Smart. But if you pick him, I dont know how you develop both him and Rivers. Picking him means you gotta move Rivers, which some might be fine with, but I still believe in AR, especially learning from Gordon and playing with him.

But yes, Smart and Gordon would have the potential to be one of the most devastating guard combos in the league if Smart hits his ceiling and Gordon stays healthy

I know it is still early & I was surprised when he left Duke after 1 year. I just don't know if Rivers is the answer & I think he plays less with Gordon back, IF GORDON STAY HEALTHY. But I hope I am wrong because the kid has quickness that is close to Derrick Rose. Except on a few occasions I just have not seen a lot of improvement yet. A guy I like & I am from the midwest & a Big ten guy but I like Trey Burke, he could be pretty special as well.

Burke is nice, but that would be the smallest backcourt in the NBA and Burke, like Gordon, needs the ball in his hands a lot. One area where Rivers has already improved is in his spot-up shooting and a Rivers/Gordon backcourt gets the Hornets in the bonus super early. For all his failings, and there have been plenty, Rivers draws fouls at a 250% higher clip than Vasquez does when you look at FTA per FGA.

You put Rivers and Gordon in the backcourt and get other teams in foul trouble and the Hornets get tons of free points because Anderson, Davis, and even Lopez hit their FT's at a great clip.

That is a good point Michael. Vasquez hardly ever gets to the ft line. I agree with you on Marcus Smart to, Gordon & him could be really special.

Speaking of Eric Gordon, about a week ago my brother told me of a high school game he remembered seeing Gordon playing in once on ESPN. He said it was on tv because it was Michael Jordan's sons and Jordan was in attendance. My brother then proceeded to tell me how he remembered thinking for sure this kid (Gordon) would go to college and make it to the pros. Has anyone ever seen this game?

wouldn't mind a scoring guard but Vasquez is killing it in the assists department

Thread Information