Pelicans Report

Thread: Greivis Vasquez named Western Conference Player of the Week

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Greivis Vasquez named Western Conference Player of the Week

Jim Eichenhofer ?@Jim_Eichenhofer
    Hornets guard @greivisvasquez named Western Conference Player of the Week for Dec. 24-30. Averaged 21.0 points and NBA-leading 10.0 assists
    When was the last time we had one of these? Congrats to Greivis!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Awesome. I'm a Grievis supporter, so it's awesome to see that he earned this.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    He's giving up a lot on the other side.. but it's nice to see him recognized. Congrats!

i smell someones trade stock rising

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Golly wow!

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

The chemistry is pretty tight already and Greivis is a major leader of that, if we trade him, it could truly hurt the lockerroom. He is a great leader on and off the court.

And most of you all want to trade him still. Smh...Congrats GV!!!

I haven't been the most positive person about GV, but that doesn't mean I don't like him. Congrats!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    And most of you all want to trade him still. Smh...Congrats GV!!!
    The desire to trade him is a compliment to how well he's played...but he is still who he is. Our ascension requires more from our PG than being an above average 3pt shooter and solid assist man.

I still don't know why people want to trade him. Players are to find..... especially when your in an small market.

extremely happy for him, great honor for him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The desire to trade him is a compliment to how well he's played...but he is still who he is. Our ascension requires more from our PG than being an above average 3pt shooter and solid assist man.
    So you dont think Vasquez should be a starting pg for the next few years? Personally I think he's proved himself.

well when gordons on the court, he controls the ball almost the whole time, so maybe

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    With Gordon, it probably doesn't even matter. At the end of games, Gordon will handle the ball. All Vasquez has to do is basically play 2 guard. If a good deal is there, take it, but we can roll with what we got for a while.

Let's wait a few games before we say gravy is the answer. I personally don't think he is unless we get someone that can create his own shot at the 3. Gordon can't be the only shot creator on the team.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NO_Bound View Post
    So you dont think Vasquez should be a starting pg for the next few years? Personally I think he's proved himself.
    They equate the position to CP3. No one will ever be good enough to play PG here.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    They equate the position to CP3. No one will ever be good enough to play PG here.
    Last year, there was so much hate on Jarrett Jack, and people wanted him gone. Now he's gone and playing pretty damn good ball for GS. I miss JJ.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Last year, there was so much hate on Jarrett Jack, and people wanted him gone. Now he's gone and playing pretty damn good ball for GS. I miss JJ.
    I was one of the biggest Jack haters on this board, but now I miss him more than any Hornet including West and CP. About Grevis, congrats to him on the honor, it must of been a slow week because he's still the worst starting PG (not related to injury) in the NBA. I'll support him because he wears New Orleans on his chest, but that doesn't mean I have to think he's good.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Right, Jarrett jack is playing great because he is in the role that he is suited for- guard off the bench.

I don't think it is "Hating" to say that a player is a below average starter and a bad choice to be taking the last shot in a close game. That is what people were saying about Jack last year.

I see a lot of the same criticism of Vasquez this year. I have never read anybody say he is one of the worst players in the NBA, just that he would ideally be a 6th or 7th man on a title contender.

If he is your teams 1st or 2nd option, you have to judge him by that IMO and that is what was happening with Vasquez. You can't say- "Well, he is only supposed to be a 5th or 6th option, so I am not going to evaluate the guy in the context that he is being used, I will grade him based on what he should be."

He had to do more than he was capable of when Gordon was out. Now, he is in his proper role and I guarantee the "hate" will die down, because he has less on his shoulders.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by NO_Bound View Post
    He's proven himself to be a great backup PG. Gordon's first game back he splits the hedge about 10 times which broke down the defense and led to points. GV has been playing all year long and has done it maybe once.

Congrats to him but his role is to not be the primary ball handler.

If you could put a stud who could initiate shots for himself and others at the 3, then Vasquez could be a starter a la Mario Chalmers for this team. But if the Hornets are just going to get a spot up guy or a slasher at that spot, then you need another creator at PG and Vasquez comes off the bench.

How they get this caliber of SF, I have no idea, but if we are talking about title contender- not just a solid team, but a title team, I dont know how Vasquez starts for a team at that level unless we get a stud at SF

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    With Gordon, it probably doesn't even matter. At the end of games, Gordon will handle the ball. All Vasquez has to do is basically play 2 guard. If a good deal is there, take it, but we can roll with what we got for a while.
    yea, what he said

Thread Information