Pelicans Report

Thread: Areas for improvement

Areas for improvement

It's no secret we have a young team that has room to improve and I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on what you would like to see the young players on our team improve on.

Here are my thoughts:

Eric Gordon
    - attitude: Gordon has a chance to be the guy for this team but currently lacks the leadership qualities. I understand Gordon will never be very vocal, but you don't have to be to be a leader. His improvement has more to do with his intangibles than his game.
    player to model after:
    Kevin Durant

Anthony Davis
    - assertiveness (a go to post move to help): Davis has all the skills to be a go to option on offense. A soft touch around the basket, quickness for his size, and a great jumpshot. However Davis is green on offense, often looking unsure of how to attack a defender, if he had a go to move that he was comfortable with it could help him expand his offensive game from a solid foundation. Added strength should also help him create space and get his shot off better.
    player to model after:
    Kevin Garnett

Ryan Anderson
    setting his feet better, Ryan Anderson does a little hop after catching the ball before shooting and it really slows down his jumper, Anderson's already a well rounded player with no weaknesses other than his physical limitations, so it's just a small complaint.
    player to model after:
    Kevin Love

Austin Rivers
    - finishing in the second level: Austin Rivers quickness and ball handling help him get by the first defender but he lacks the ability to manipulate nba bigs once he gets into the paint. The awkward floaters in the lane aren't going to cut it. He could really learn to use his ability to change speeds to blow by slower bigs and find the driving lanes in the defense.
    player to model after:
    Tony Parker

i know Gordons quiet but as far as communicating on the floor he was talking more than I thought. he really made the offense move, he wouldn't let GV stand around with the ball at the top of the key. He's a shy guy but he's communicating with his teammates on the court in the one game sample i have to go off of haha

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    i know Gordons quiet but as far as communicating on the floor he was talking more than I thought. he really made the offense move, he wouldn't let GV stand around with the ball at the top of the key. He's a shy guy but he's communicating with his teammates on the court in the one game sample i have to go off of haha
    Agreed. I remember last season he occasionally looked disinterested when not handling the ball so I was a little worried we'd see that again. He surprised me though and was a lot more vocal than I expected and he had good movement off the ball. That being said, there's certainly still room for improvement.

Areas for improvement

Anderson's seems silly. He has such a quick shot. I think he could be more aggressive down low.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    It's no secret we have a young team that has room to improve and I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on what you would like to see the young players on our team improve on.

Here are my thoughts:

Eric Gordon
    - attitude: Gordon has a chance to be the guy for this team but currently lacks the leadership qualities. I understand Gordon will never be very vocal, but you don't have to be to be a leader. His improvement has more to do with his intangibles than his game.
    player to model after:
    Kevin Durant

Anthony Davis
    - assertiveness (a go to post move to help): Davis has all the skills to be a go to option on offense. A soft touch around the basket, quickness for his size, and a great jumpshot. However Davis is green on offense, often looking unsure of how to attack a defender, if he had a go to move that he was comfortable with it could help him expand his offensive game from a solid foundation. Added strength should also help him create space and get his shot off better.
    player to model after:
    Kevin Garnett

Ryan Anderson
    setting his feet better, Ryan Anderson does a little hop after catching the ball before shooting and it really slows down his jumper, Anderson's already a well rounded player with no weaknesses other than his physical limitations, so it's just a small complaint.
    player to model after:
    Kevin Love

Austin Rivers
    - finishing in the second level: Austin Rivers quickness and ball handling help him get by the first defender but he lacks the ability to manipulate nba bigs once he gets into the paint. The awkward floaters in the lane aren't going to cut it. He could really learn to use his ability to change speeds to blow by slower bigs and find the driving lanes in the defense.
    player to model after:
    Tony Parker
    Eric Gordon- I agree on you assessment, but I also think he also needs to develop a bit more of a midrange and pull-up game. I think that makes him a top 2 or 3 SG (when healthy).

Antony Davis- His main issue I see besides is needing to add size and assertiveness, as you stated, is holding position during rebounding (which goes hand in hand with adding weight). We really need him to become an elite rebounder with Lopez not being one and us not being able to depend on our 3 position for, well anything. He also needs to work on finishing strong.

Ryan Anderson-
    I agree with you here, even if it is nitpicking. I would also like to see him work on a pump fake and step in a few feet to knock down that shot. People are going to force him off the line and throw smaller guys on him. A pump to get them off balance and a pull up would do wonders for him.

Austin River-
    Hard to really pinpoint this one. Austin needs his swag back. I'm hoping a move into a guy that comes off the bench gives him more of a "green light" on offense which will slowly bring it back.

Good write up Beeball.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Gordon has always been vocal on the court. Matter of fact, I was more concerned he might get into it with his own teammates because he doesn't seem to mince words and directs with a scowl on his face. This is what I saw last year. So far it seems his teammates respect him enough to just listen. He's kinda TC esque towards the refs also. I don't question him being vocal at all.

Rivers will never be the water bug type guard Tony Parker is. He'll probably end up listed as 6'5". I still say Dwayne Wade at best or Richard Hamilton (preferably a mix of the two) is who he should model after.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Gordon has always been vocal on the court. Matter of fact, I was more concerned he might get into it with his own teammates because he doesn't seem to mince words and directs with a scowl on his face. This is what I saw last year. So far it seems his teammates respect him enough to just listen. He's kinda TC esque towards the refs also. I don't question him being vocal at all.

Rivers will never be the water bug type guard Tony Parker is. He'll probably end up listed as 6'5". I still say Dwayne Wade at best or Richard Hamilton (preferably a mix of the two) is who he should model after.
    Gordon talks a descent amount on the court, yes. But the fact that he wasn't with the team during the rehab speaks volumes to me. As the teams closest thing to a star player at the moment, he needs to show more leadership, be more connected with the team off the court, be team first, he shows signs of this and I think he can do it which is why I said it's something he can improve on.

Rivers will never be like Wade who is one of the most elite athletes in the NBA. However if he could develop a pull up jumper like hamilton he could pull up before the 2nd level, using a hesitation move to make the defender either commit to the shot or the drive, Jamal crawford does this well. Another player he could follow is Monta Ellis, Monta uses a pull up jumper and he takes the ball into the shot blocker like Rivers, but unlike River he uses his body to shield the ball. He also uses deception by showing the defender the ball and then finishing at a different angle.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Gordon talks a descent amount on the court, yes. But the fact that he wasn't with the team during the rehab speaks volumes to me. As the teams closest thing to a star player at the moment, he needs to show more leadership, be more connected with the team off the court, be team first, he shows signs of this and I think he can do it which is why I said it's something he can improve on.

Rivers will never be like Wade who is one of the most elite athletes in the NBA. However if he could develop a pull up jumper like hamilton he could pull up before the 2nd level, using a hesitation move to make the defender either commit to the shot or the drive, Jamal crawford does this well. Another player he could follow is Monta Ellis, Monta uses a pull up jumper and he takes the ball into the shot blocker like Rivers, but unlike River he uses his body to shield the ball. He also uses deception by showing the defender the ball and then finishing at a different angle.
    I think it's been mentioned that Gordon was not with the team at the behest of Dell Demps. The Hornets training staff did not have the time nor the room for him here. I can't sit here and say how Gordon is with his teammates because neither of us really knows that. My beef with him is he can improve how he handles his PR as it relates to injuries/fans/contract negotiating.

Rivers can indeed be like Wade since he drives the lane fearlessly already. The difference at this moment is Wade has to be about 240 (nevermind what they list him at) and has the frame to finish. Rivers is just 20 and will add muscle and maybe another inch of height. Look at Steph Curry now compared to when he first cam into the league. Once Rivers' body matures I see him attacking the basket like Wade/Gordon but finishing. He already has the handles for it. I stayed away from comparing him to Ellis because he is the athlete I can't see Rivers matching as far as raw quicks and jumping ability.
    Last edited by luckyman; 12-31-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Rivers has shown me nothing that indicates him being like Wade... I just don't see it happening you guys.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Robin Lopez is averaging 12 pts a game, but its not like the guys is bringing 12 every night. He's doing 20 one night (awesome) and then 7 the next. If the guy could work on his bringing it every night, that'd be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Robin Lopez is averaging 12 pts a game, but its not like the guys is bringing 12 every night. He's doing 20 one night (awesome) and then 7 the next. If the guy could work on his bringing it every night, that'd be awesome.
    He just doesn't get the minutes or the touches, he would literally have to shoot like 80% from the court in order to average 20 given the amount of time/touches he gets. He does need to improve on rebounding though.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    He just doesn't get the minutes or the touches, he would literally have to shoot like 80% from the court in order to average 20 given the amount of time/touches he gets. He does need to improve on rebounding though.
    I understand that, but he needs to get 10 a night consistantly. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    You hit the nail on the head with Davis. It's obvious he doesn't have the first idea how to attack.

I don't understand anything with rivers. He is supposed to have an amazing work ethic, yet he can't even make free throws, which to me is the sign of a player who is actually working, all you have to do is stand there and shoot free throws, that is it. The little in the lane floaters never go down and are sometimes just god awful, and his 3pt % is barely average. He is supposed to have pretty good handle and change of speed yet he can't get to the rim or finish there the times he does. Defense? ha. Almost 28mins a game. He does not need to model his game after DWADE or PARKER, he needs to work on actually making shots and finding a way to stay in the league at this point to me; darius miller, in games where he had over 20mins, looked about as effective as rivers and he was shipped to the d-league a week or 2 ago. Honestly if his name was not austin rivers he would be in the d league or deep on the bench. Yea he was picked 10th, but just because we picked him high doesn't mean we have to have a black hole on the floor for that long a game (black hole = exaggeration)

Yes he is a rookie, I don't need to relax I'm not worked up over this, but why is he getting 28 minutes a game when it doesn't look like it is helping and when the organization gives away money to get people to the game(I discovered the other day that the tickets have money on them, idk the specifics, but I sit in 108 and my tickets have $10 dollars on them, which I promptly used for overpriced beer the last 2 home games, and apparently club seats have 15? did anyone know about this? I never heard about it). He is going to get better but when someone posts an article on espn for the world to see(the world of insiders I guess) about you having the worst season ever in the nba I think something needs to change. How many worst players of the season in the league manage to come back and be effective? You tell me

but for right now, I think he needs to work on shooting better than 60% from the free throw line and that is it, then he'll be averaging around double digits a game, and from there just work on his 3's - his overall shot will improve and he'll gain confidence in his own game. This game has been, and will always be, about buckets

I think you were pretty dead on. I like the Rivers comparison but i think he is more of a Jamal Crawford. He is not elite athletically but can work on his game and develop a layup package and knockdown jumper ala Crawford. Crawford had a slow start to his NBA career and didnt play much but worked on his game and improved all areas of his offense. Rivers in more of a combo guard like him who can put the ball on the bucket and play the point occasionally. I think Rivers will turn out to be a Crawford type of player on O but a much better Defender. Only time can tell.

Thread Information