Pelicans Report

Thread: Arena renovations

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Arena renovations

Will they be updating the seating in the Arena at all?

They updated the club seating in the lower bowl - not sure if they'll do the upper level anytime soon it still seems okay to me. I'd assume the rest of the lowers would be next?

The Superdone was redone in phases as well.... I know the Superdome was club 300 level first, then lower 100 level club, then lower 100 level corners/ends. Not sure if/when Terrace will be redone - haven't been to a home Saints or Hornets game this year unfortunately but this is from observations on TV - I knew both stadiums intimately as I have/had season tickets for Saints/Hornets both for many years.
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

Yeah will the seating (different seats in lower bowl club) ever be the same? And just the overall layout of the seating chart.

Seats may be replaced if colors change dramatically.

Don't look for a total reconfiguration, but small changes will happen.

hopefully they'll get rid of the empty seats and get some of those occupied ones we've heard so much about

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I wonder if they'll redo the outside tiles on the exterior. They've always sort of matched the colors. But now they're going with new colors.

Maybe they should repaint the arena gold too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I wonder if they'll redo the outside tiles on the exterior. They've always sort of matched the colors. But now they're going with new colors.

Maybe they should repaint the arena gold too.
    Dunno about tiles but a buddy of mine (who worked on the led screens) told me eventually there will be lights in that top (line) part that wraps around the arena. Similar to the dome lights. I can only assume it would be before the Superbowl? That's pure speculation on my part though.

Lights on the roof? Hmmmm, we might soon see this:

Quote Originally Posted by Tip-Off View Post
    The conspiracy gets louder...

OK, so I am hitting golf balls out at the St. Rose Driving Range this afternoon and as I slice my drive into the net, I notice a familiar 777-300 landing from the west. What the heck???? There is no reason for that to be landing here...

Hey wait a minute, my suggestion was this for an arena sponsor:

Think Global

and this was out at MSY tonight - coincidence? I think not:

Global

It makes sense, 2013 Super Bowl, Saints Primetime games (think blimp shots), young exciting Hornets team in a booming city, 2013 Womens Final Four, 2014 NBA All-Star game, probably a few more like NCAA regionals at some point.

It's a 1st-Class airline too...fits well with M-B Superdome

I won't ask for a commission, just some Pelicans gear and Anthony Davis jersey for my 6-year old daughter.

I can't wait to see the conceptual drawings of improvements. There were some reports of a new entrance/atrium.

The tiles are not supposed to change, at least in the near term.

The entire color scheme of the arena has always struck me as bizarre. I wouldn't mind a complete exterior and interior change, but at the same time I've grown to kind of like it. If we are changing our colors to royal blue and red, a change is probably in order.

If at all possible, a lighting affect on the tiles themselves would be cool, they could appear to change patterns with light, or give a shimmering affect, but I don't know how realistic that is. This would also not force the team to change all of the tiles, just to input lights where some of the tiles used to be

I asked about a Dome-like lighting scheme when the renovation article was being researched. I was told "No," but it seems like quite a natural thing to do. It wasn't in the baseline, that's all I know. $50m goes a long way, but they are doing some heavy-duty construction behind the scenes, and then adding on the atrium. If they redo the exterior it'll be when they do the atrium or more than 5 years out probably. I'm guessing the latter or `never'. Not never-never, just that they'll deal with it when it's actually an issue, not just a cosmetic preference for some.

I'm surprised no renderings or drawings have leaked out. There is tons of info on this out there, but I still don't really have a good grasp on what is actually happening and when.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

I already see some poles up in the useless gap on one side. An LED board to fill it makes sense. There is so mch wrong with the aesthetics of that arena. The tile being one. The useless gap another. The aluminum foil roof yet another. The best part is blanketed by the Superdome.

Good grief. Can we just ctrl+alt+del the thing?

What useless gap? Do you mean in between the walkways connecting it to the Dome?

There have been presentations, etc. with graphics.

This is the most complete single article of which I am aware: http://www.hornets247.com/2012/07/13/home-improvement/ but if you've seen it, then I know of little else that will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    What useless gap? Do you mean in between the walkways connecting it to the Dome?

There have been presentations, etc. with graphics.

This is the most complete single article of which I am aware: http://www.hornets247.com/2012/07/13/home-improvement/ but if you've seen it, then I know of little else that will help you.
    No. Not at all. I mean the 360 gap that wraps around the top portion of the arena.

Oh. Like how the 'hat' is too small?

I think part of it is space for industrial stuff like antennae, etc., in part necessary due to the footprint of the Arena. Part of it may have to do with the wind coming off the Dome. That was an issue, but I'm not sure what it drove into the design. I know it affected the roof, but how, I'm not sure.

Is that what they will do with the Arena? It almost looks like the building in the center was once like the Arena.

Likely smaller scale.

Thread Information