Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: What does it Take for us to become a contender?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Patience- We just need to mature and add small pieces but our core is set

21 26.58%
  • Half-Way There- We still missing a big piece (ie team 3rd best player)

51 64.56%
  • A long way off- We still need to trade Gordon. This is going to be a long process.

0 0%
  • Tank- This is for you Wisconsinhornet

4 5.06%
  • Coaching Change- We need a new coach before we think about contending

3 3.80%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What does it take for us to become a contender

What does it take for us to become a contender

I know this is a bit knee-jerkish, but I thought this would be an interesting question to the forum:

With Eric gordon coming back, and the warm-fuzzies resurfacing, what else do you think we need to do to become a contender?

After seeing a lot of people post I found about 5 main themes.

I personally believe we're under the 1 Big piece away along with a little time.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 12-30-2012 at 10:25 AM.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Brandon Jennings and Paul Milsap !

I am firm believer of the first. Randerson, Gordon, and Davis are our corner stones. And POSSIBLY Rivers.

I think it is kind of a combo of several things. We need to be patient. Our team has a lot of developing to do. ryno ad and Gordon is a strong core, but we absolutely need to add an above avg Sf. And to be true contenders I think that sf needs to be a big splash(i dont want to wait 3 years - dont think we have that luxury). we will need to add quality depth and better all around talent also. Even with a nice additional piece we are one injury from irrelevance.

So:
    Patience, major player, additional depth.

And strong minded offensive assistant wouldn't hurt.

Hornets Guru,

I'm actually shocked you picked just patience!

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    I think it is kind of a combo of several things. We need to be patient. Our team has a lot of developing to do. ryno ad and Gordon is a strong core, but we absolutely need to add an above avg Sf. And to be true contenders I think that sf needs to be a big splash(i dont want to wait 3 years - dont think we have that luxury). we will need to add quality depth and better all around talent also. Even with a nice additional piece we are one injury from irrelevance.

So:
    Patience, major player, additional depth.

And strong minded offensive assistant wouldn't hurt.
    Yeah I agree with you. I don't think one of these encompasses everything, just the general direction. Thanks for the response! What we really need is for Gordon to stay healthy 60 games per year would be fine for me honestly.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Fine line, though, between patience & your other two goals ! Rookie Contracts are only 3 yr guarantee w/ (4th) as option year,so if patience means waiting 2 years to be complete, you have to start worrying about both AD & Rivers(maybe), but EGO is probably gonna be a coin toss for a possible trade in his 3rd year . TOUGH TASK ! In Dell we trust !

Oh definetly. We have now seen how Gordon changes the dynamic of our team. We need him on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Fine line, though, between patience & your other two goals ! Rookie Contracts are only 3 yr guarantee w/ (4th) as option year,so if patience means waiting 2 years to be complete, you have to start worrying about both AD & Rivers(maybe), but EGO is probably gonna be a coin toss for a possible trade in his 3rd year . TOUGH TASK ! In Dell we trust !
    For sure. That is why I don't think we have the luxury of waiting to draft a Sf and let him develop. We need to expedite the process which will give Gordon more confidence to stay. Overall we need to be patient though because guys like ad, rivers, Lopez even are still young and have a lot of polishing to do.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    The best choice is my opinion is to trade our pick for a good player. It wouldn't hurt but would help.

They just become a restricted FA after their rookie contract (unless they actually accept a QO). So i'm not worried about AD leaving for like 7 years past this year.

If Gordon sticks around, and Davis continues to improve, our 3rd best player is already here in Ryan Anderson. Tanking this year would help secure an even better 3rd player, but I think we have a solid 3, we just need them to gel.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Another scorer on the wing, either at the 3 or 1 position.

We do need time for them to Gel but I think outside of our core of Ryno, EG, AD, we need more EFFICIENT players, not necessarily all stars but more efficiency, and that comes with maturity sometimes (xavier henry is NOT efficient but a vet for example)... And we also need that extra star player to take us to the next level whenever EG or Gravy is having a bad day, our guard and wing play is atrocious sometimes to the point where we lose games because of it... Needs to change

So a really good SF and maybe another scoring punch off of the bench (will Rivers ever become this?) or a very efficient guy off of the bench (decent defender, great shooter)

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Patience. We have our core. Gordon and Anderson are already proven vets who should be All Stars. Davis is already shown to be a gem and once he fills out he will be truly a pleasure to watch. Not to mention with Lopez coming into his own and Vasquez working well with EJ we pretty much have our guys. Still don't know what Rivers will bring us. But, we just need a few small pieces as we move on.

For me, it is either that last big piece (Jennings, Iggy, etc) or solid depth that allows us to play like San Antonio. I wouldn't mind taking all the cap room and splitting it up and giving it to three guys like Chase Budinger, Gerald Henderson, and T. Mozgov.

Injuries are always going to occur, and the biggest problem I see with this roster is that there is such a dramatic drop off in some areas. San Antonio has its three stars and then a ton of depth. Miami goes with a more top heavy roster. Both could work. Wouldn't mind either
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    For me, it is either that last big piece (Jennings, Iggy, etc) or solid depth that allows us to play like San Antonio. I wouldn't mind taking all the cap room and splitting it up and giving it to three guys like Chase Budinger, Gerald Henderson, and T. Mozgov.

Injuries are always going to occur, and the biggest problem I see with this roster is that there is such a dramatic drop off in some areas. San Antonio has its three stars and then a ton of depth. Miami goes with a more top heavy roster. Both could work. Wouldn't mind either
    Definitely agree. Either iggy or Jennings or split it and get henderson and lowry. If we got Jennings, I would like to get dorell wright and have a ridiculous offensive lineup with Jennings Gordon wright Anderson and davis.

Roles that I think current players could be on a title team if they hit their peaks, stay healthy:

Davis- Best player
    Gordon- 2nd best player
    Anderson- 3rd or 4th best overall player; 2nd leading scorer
    Vasquez- 15-20 minutes 7th man
    Lopez- 12-16 minute big
    Smith- 12-16 minute big
    Rivers- Jason Terry in Dallas type starter/bench player

I dont think anybody else on this roster would get a minute for a playoff caliber team. There is a small chance that Darius Miller or Lance Thomas could be solid 10th men on a good team.

That leaves us needing:

- One solid low post scorer
    - Another above average rebounder on the front line
    - One more great three-point shooter or two solid one's
    - One more guy who can create for others
    - One more guy who can lockdown on the perimeter so all that isn't put on Gordon

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Brandon Jennings and Paul Milsap !
    The last thing we need is another PF. Jennings, maybe but I'd rather Iggy
    Last edited by GeauxPelicans; 12-30-2012 at 02:41 PM.

We're half way there, we still need a 1 and a 3 (one being an allstar level shot creator) and depth. This draft will be very important. You should still go BPA, but we need another piece. I like our core, we're a solid playoff team as is, but people are underestimating the kind of talent you need to win a championship.

Ideal contending pelicans roster:

pg) playmaking borderline allstar
    sg) Gordon
    sf) provides defense and 3 point shooting
    pf) Anderson
    C) Davis

Bench:
    6) true center (possibly Lopez, I'd prefer an upgrade though)
    7) versatile, agressive wing
    8) high basketball IQ combo guard (possibly Vasquez)
    9) a power forward with hustle and high motor (possibly Jason Smith)
    Last edited by BeeBall Reasons; 12-30-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    We're half way there, we still need a 1 and a 3 (one being an allstar level shot creator) and depth. This draft will be very important. You should still go BPA, but we need another piece. I like our core, we're a solid playoff team as is, but people are underestimating the kind of talent you need to win a championship.

Ideal contending pelicans roster:

pg) playmaking borderline allstar
    sg) Gordon
    sf) provides defense and 3 point shooting
    pf) Anderson
    C) Davis

Bench:
    6) true center (possibly Lopez, I'd prefer an upgrade though)
    7) versatile, agressive wing
    8) high basketball IQ combo guard (possibly Vasquez)
    9) a power forward with hustle and high motor (possibly Jason Smith)
    Brandon Jennings
    Eric gordon
    Dorell wright
    Anderson
    Davis

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Brandon Jennings
    Eric gordon
    Dorell wright
    Anderson
    Davis
    Hate to break it to you but we only get jennings via trade, a higher profile team than us will throw a max at him, I could see dallas as a destination.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    A lot of depth would be the first step. A bench with Mason and Henry wont cut it.

Mason, Roberts, Henry, Thomas --- all get playing time on this team, even with Eric Gordon. Which of them can get even one minute on any playoff contender? I will even throw Rivers in there at this stage of his development.

IMO, we have 6 actual NBA players on this roster and have to give 40-60 mins per game to a couple of guys who are completely overwhelmed. When one (or more) of our 6 guys gets hurt, that means we are up to 100+ minutes being played by significantly below replacement level players. Can't happen if you want to survive the grind of the 82 game season

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    A lot of depth would be the first step. A bench with Mason and Henry wont cut it.
    Mason contributes and is a solid vet on this young team. You dont need 5 or 6 near all stars onone roster to contend. Just need to be top heavy so they really just need to add one more big money piece to get there imo. Look at OKC. Durant and Westbrook take about 70% of OKC's shots? Hornets role players arent all that bad, they just need a dependable facilitator, another legit all-star player, some maturity and about 50 added lbs between Davis and Rivers.

Thread Information