Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Making the Transition: Is Austin Rivers Really the Worst?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post

I honestly feel if/when this kid puts it all together he could be a poor man's westbrook / harden. Call me crazy.
    That's crazy. He can't be like Westbrook without the Turtle Face...

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    That's crazy. He can't be like Westbrook without the Turtle Face...
    Yea you right. No turtle face?....HE'S A BUST! Worst.Player.Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    What are you basing this off of? I started off just not liking Rivers game at all. Not in college, summer league, pre-season, or the regular season thus far. But I constantly see statements like this and I honestly want to know what I'm missing when I watch him play.
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    People see that Rivers can get to the basket almost at will. Eventually you have to believe he will finish those layups or develop some court vision to kick it out to a shooter. Right now, we don't have any shooters to kick too because every team is sticking to Ryan Anderson no matter who initiates the PnR or who drives the lane.

Ryan Anderson is the only shooter on this team,
    Once he gets his floater working, he'll be impossible to defend.

...and this:
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    He developed a floater which he did not have in summer-league / pre-season.
    His defensive rotations are improving greatly.
    His shot selection is improving.
    Passing is improving.
    Going to his left (still finishing with his right though)
    I dunno I've been watching him since summer league and I am noticing the work he is putting in.

I honestly feel if/when this kid puts it all together he could be a poor man's westbrook / harden. Call me crazy.
    All of this, but with regards to the last bolded part, I've always pictured him as a more skilled, yet less athletic version of Westbrook. He's probably as quick off the dribble as Westbrook, and he will have a tighter handle, but Westbrook has a great 2nd gear and is a very explosive leaper. Rivers should have a great floater, should be able to shoot the 3 better, and should be a better passer. I hope Rivers can keep growing as a defender and get on Westbrook's level. That would be amazing.

The main thing, IMO, that sets Rivers apart from everyone else is his attitude, work ethic, and general feel for the game. There are some things that can't be taught, and Rivers just has "it."

Great article, by the way guys. Well laid out and informative. Looks like yall did a **** ton of research.

Thread Information