.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Trades...

  1. #1

    Trades...

    I have a serious question... What kinda goals do you guys wish to achieve by the continuous trade talks??? I know it's fun for us as fans to sit around and talk about possible trades in order to improve our team, but it seems like some folks are absolutely obsessed with the idea of trading key pieces for mediocrity only to find out that the newly acquired players aren't good enough and then make a push to sell them off in conjunction with another mediocre piece for a new mediocre guy...

    The reason I brought this up is because of the recent Lopez talks, he, AD and Ryno are pretty much our only solid pieces, Vasquez is the only great trade bait that I'll be willing to dangle in front of an assuming team, but only for a starter in return, and we DO NOT need a starter at the C or PF positions, we are weak at the SG and SF spots mostly, but would be really be done if we had no starting caliber PG if Vasquez was to go, therefore the obvious move would be to dump him only for a starting SF or SG capable of playing PG for the time being while Rivers develops. Some of the stuff I hear you people saying is just straight idiocy.

    The ONLY way I'll get rid of Lopez is if I knew for SURE that I'll have a better or equal replacement coming soon, very little of these trades provides me with a guy better than Lopez AND the opportunity to get a starting SF, PG or Scoring threat off of the bench.

  2. #2
    Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Westbank
    Posts
    2,547
    I think that a serious question deserves a serious response (at least one anyway)....this deal popped into my head early this morning and I thought this seemed as good a place as any to propose it....it meets the criteria for a successful trade if nothing else and would involve Lopez and Aminu to Orlando for Vucevic and Redick...thoughts?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

    "always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

  3. #3
    I don't know ramster. Vucevic doesn't seem like a defensive presence in the paint like Lopez is. And that's what we need for the moment I think. Plus Lopez is emerging as low post scorer.
    Reddick is a tweener just like Rivers, and he's coming off the bench. He's not really a proven starting guard.
    Don't you think?

    I would like to trade for Cousins if we have to get rid of Lopez. But I'm fine with him for the moment !
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

  4. #4
    Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Westbank
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Russy View Post
    I don't know ramster. Vucevic doesn't seem like a defensive presence in the paint like Lopez is. And that's what we need for the moment I think. Plus Lopez is emerging as low post scorer.
    Reddick is a tweener just like Rivers, and he's coming off the bench. He's not really a proven starting guard.
    Don't you think?

    I would like to trade for Cousins if we have to get rid of Lopez. But I'm fine with him for the moment !
    hey, Russy! I'm just pleased to see opinions other than "why would Orlando do that"? or "why would we do that"?....and personally, I think that Orlando might balk, but I like Vucevic's offensive skills and the way can rebound the ball...I would also be intrigued with Redick providing some proven skills as an additional hybrid guard....

  5. #5
    No pb ! We are here to share our opinions
    I see that you are offensive minded and it's understandable because when I think of our Gordon-less offense... They clearly can provide a significant boost. But we already have Anderson as offensive threat and on the boards. I think Vucevic is similar to him, without THAT "3pts shooting" skill (hopefully or last night game would have ended in OT ^^).
    To me Vucevic would be an improvement on offense but a loss on defense. But I still like him, though.
    I was scared last night everytime he got the ball in the post.

    Reddick, all I know from him, is that he can shoot the 3 so I can't come to a decision ^^.

    Would you consider trading for Cousins?

  6. #6
    The goal is to think of something realistic that benefits us and the other team. Rivers is, I conceed, far away from being an NBA PG and Vasquez's turnovers, hero ball, and poor defense make me wanna trade him. Lopez I'm 50/50 on, any deal involving Lopez / Vasquez has to net us a C or PG that is a significant upgrade, which won't be easy.

    I'm kinda happy with the team, aside from Aminu being wasted. Vasquez will stop the hero ball with EG back, Lopez is a bargain albeit flawed in some areas. The trade ideas are simply what you should expect from fans of a losing team. Beats talking about losing all the time :P

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Russy View Post
    No pb ! We are here to share our opinions
    I see that you are offensive minded and it's understandable because when I think of our Gordon-less offense... They clearly can provide a significant boost. But we already have Anderson as offensive threat and on the boards. I think Vucevic is similar to him, without THAT "3pts shooting" skill (hopefully or last night game would have ended in OT ^^).
    To me Vucevic would be an improvement on offense but a loss on defense. But I still like him, though.
    I was scared last night everytime he got the ball in the post.

    Reddick, all I know from him, is that he can shoot the 3 so I can't come to a decision ^^.

    Would you consider trading for Cousins?
    I think Orlando is happy with Vucevic and will keep him. Reddick i dont care for with EG on the team and Rivers. Cousins is inconsistent, a drama queen and a potential cancer to any team.

    He means well, but he just isn't worth the risk IMO.

  8. #8
    Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Westbank
    Posts
    2,547
    Russy....I wouldn't be adverse to giving Cousins a shot here and it will be interesting to learn his market value if he has truly worn out his welcome over there...

  9. #9
    Hey Impose ! It seems like Cousins has trouble with his coach not his teammates (I might be wrong but that's what I understood from his situation). I kinda trust Monty and his crew, that's why I think we can give him a shot, just like my man Ramsters suggested !

    The problem is we might have to give up Robin and Vasquez... and maybe more. That's a risky trade. But a frontcourt with Cousins and Davis is dream ^^ !

  10. #10
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    metairie
    Posts
    1,243
    Why do people want to get rid of Lopez, he's playing we'll.

  11. #11
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14,062
    Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    Some of the stuff I hear you people saying is just straight idiocy.

    The ONLY way I'll get rid of Lopez is if I knew for SURE that I'll have a better or equal replacement coming soon, very little of these trades provides me with a guy better than Lopez AND the opportunity to get a starting SF, PG or Scoring threat off of the bench.
    So the only way you trade Lopez is to get someone better AND a starting 3 or 1?
    Don't you think the other team knows they're getting fleeced in a deal if they're giving up more talent than less?
    This seems like "idiocy" IMO

  12. #12
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14,062
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Why do people want to get rid of Lopez, he's playing we'll.
    Sell high buy low mentality.

  13. #13
    The Franchise Spaniard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    I have a serious question... What kinda goals do you guys wish to achieve by the continuous trade talks??? I know it's fun for us as fans to sit around and talk about possible trades in order to improve our team, but it seems like some folks are absolutely obsessed with the idea of trading key pieces for mediocrity only to find out that the newly acquired players aren't good enough and then make a push to sell them off in conjunction with another mediocre piece for a new mediocre guy...

    The reason I brought this up is because of the recent Lopez talks, he, AD and Ryno are pretty much our only solid pieces, Vasquez is the only great trade bait that I'll be willing to dangle in front of an assuming team, but only for a starter in return, and we DO NOT need a starter at the C or PF positions, we are weak at the SG and SF spots mostly, but would be really be done if we had no starting caliber PG if Vasquez was to go, therefore the obvious move would be to dump him only for a starting SF or SG capable of playing PG for the time being while Rivers develops. Some of the stuff I hear you people saying is just straight idiocy.

    The ONLY way I'll get rid of Lopez is if I knew for SURE that I'll have a better or equal replacement coming soon, very little of these trades provides me with a guy better than Lopez AND the opportunity to get a starting SF, PG or Scoring threat off of the bench.
    Well, because everyone wants the team to improve. I mean, this is a 6 win team afterall. That being said, you have to be able to seperate the thought of fans hoping to improve the team, and fans who have no idea what fair value is. Some fans are going to say Aminu for Lebron James, some are going to say Lopez for Landry Fields. That's life on a message board.

    My opinion has been that you just don't find 24 year old 7 footers, as talented as Robin Lopez, for only $5 million a year. This on a team that has been paying Okafor over $10 million a year just because he technically played center. After last night, Robin has the 5th highest PER amongst centers in the league. There is no reason not to consider him a long term piece.

  14. #14
    In order for a team to get better, they have to establish cohesiveness. You can't do that by trading guys that seem to be meshing and playing well because their trade value went up. Also, we need a foundation to build on. We can't trade all the vets so that we can build around rooks that probably should have stayed in college. You need a mix of draftees and FA's. With that said, unless we get another 7 footer that can score and play d or a scoring SF, it makes no sense to trade Lopez. We need pieces in place that a. Will gel together and be competitive and b. attract good players to come here. As far as our foundation is concerned, we 4 players that I would consider as foundation pieces and therefore untradable (relatively speaking). Those Are Gordon (scorer/defender), Ant D (defender/our future), Ryno (bench scorer), and Rolo (serviceable 7 footer). Everybody else is trade bait but unfortunately that won't net us anything. So as I see it, any trade made will be salary swap or cap relief. I look for the Hornets to do a lot in free agency. You have to keep some core players to build around

  15. #15
    somehow someway get a SF by next season opener and preferably a PG

  16. #16
    The Franchise Spaniard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    In order for a team to get better, they have to establish cohesiveness. You can't do that by trading guys that seem to be meshing and playing well because their trade value went up. Also, we need a foundation to build on. We can't trade all the vets so that we can build around rooks that probably should have stayed in college. You need a mix of draftees and FA's. With that said, unless we get another 7 footer that can score and play d or a scoring SF, it makes no sense to trade Lopez. We need pieces in place that a. Will gel together and be competitive and b. attract good players to come here. As far as our foundation is concerned, we 4 players that I would consider as foundation pieces and therefore untradable (relatively speaking). Those Are Gordon (scorer/defender), Ant D (defender/our future), Ryno (bench scorer), and Rolo (serviceable 7 footer). Everybody else is trade bait but unfortunately that won't net us anything. So as I see it, any trade made will be salary swap or cap relief. I look for the Hornets to do a lot in free agency. You have to keep some core players to build around
    You say they aren't worth anything, but you never know with Dell. The way he's turned Pondexter into Vasquez, Ayon into Ryan Anderson, Brackins into Jason Smith, etc. I'm hoping he is looking around the league for that young, little used SF with a lot of untapped potential. If we could just find an unpolished diamond there, we could really focus our assets on that game changing PG.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    somehow someway get a SF by next season opener and preferably a PG
    Hooray, Bravo, Cudos Gordon-2---AD-4 & Lopez-5 ! Anderson-off bench 3/4--J. Smith 4/5--Rivers 1/2->> POINT GUARD (CP3 (UFA) ,Jennings (RFA), Tyreke Evans (RFA), Jeff Teague (RFA) (He would be the cheapest) Through free agency ! As far as a #3, the free agency market really sucks in 2013 ! Maybe Dorrell Wright(UFA) or Kleiza or convert Milsap(UFA) ! I think trade is the route for #3 ! If we are able to get a prolific PG, the Hornicans could be very tough ! Length with AD, Robin & J. Smith & lets Just say, Jennings ,Gordon & Anderson SPREADIN DA COURT ! Maybe RIvers matures and learns how to finish his drives under control ! There will be a plethora of VERY GOOD #1's available in FA market ! HOW MUCH MONEY DO WE HAVE TO SPEND ?
    Monty's pitch: Hey, come play with AD, Ryno & hopefully a healthy Gordon ! NOT BAD !

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    You say they aren't worth anything, but you never know with Dell. The way he's turned Pondexter into Vasquez, Ayon into Ryan Anderson, Brackins into Jason Smith, etc. I'm hoping he is looking around the league for that young, little used SF with a lot of untapped potential. If we could just find an unpolished diamond there, we could really focus our assets on that game changing PG.
    I concur my friend. Dealer Dell turns coal into diamonds. I hope he still has tricks up his sleeve

  19. #19
    Some of these guys need to stick to what they know as reporters/editors OR learn the sport of which you're writing on!

    It is a known fact Its a crap shoot when drafting college kids into the NBA and the C's that are drafted normally takes 3-4 yrs to develope his game into the NBA, if at all he gets adjusted to the NBA! Robin Lopez is coming into his own by being a 2-4yr player in the NBA, and to trade him with the plan on drafting another C is just silly and will set the front Court back a few yrs waiting for the newly drafted C to develope. Then that same editor would write a article on Coach Monty should be fired due to the delayed progression of the team, all while pushing for a Tim Floyd hire or some other type of LSU/Louisiana connection hire!

    Robin Lopez is a veteran space eating C who's gaining confidence! We don't need another young player added to an already young team who needs time to develope. Keep stocking up on young drafted players and well have a Wizards type team full if young knuckleheads that lack wisdom on being a PRO in&off the court. Every team needs veteran leadership, along with time to gel as a unite! Plus Lopez knows his role with this team with AD23, EG, Anderson, Rivers being the main options. Another highly drafted player who wants to launch his career by padding his stats will take away from the TEAM concept of Monty Williams. *See Sac Kings*
    If traded, I'm only trading my "Center" for a young budding Star like a Jennings, matching NBA experiences of the players plus the value of Shot Blocking/Shot alterring Centers in the NBA.
    (You don't just give a Center away for draft picks. History says that it's more likely for a Draft pick to be a Bust, then be successful in the NBA)

    *not all trades are good trades, even if guys have maxed on their trade value! Somebody have to be the AC Green on a roster, not all can be Magic/Jordan

    #JustSaying

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    Some of these guys need to stick to what they know as reporters/editors OR learn the sport of which you're writing on!

    It is a known fact Its a crap shoot when drafting college kids into the NBA and the C's that are drafted normally takes 3-4 yrs to develope his game into the NBA, if at all he gets adjusted to the NBA! Robin Lopez is coming into his own by being a 2-4yr player in the NBA, and to trade him with the plan on drafting another C is just silly and will set the front Court back a few yrs waiting for the newly drafted C to develope. Then that same editor would write a article on Coach Monty should be fired due to the delayed progression of the team, all while pushing for a Tim Floyd hire or some other type of LSU/Louisiana connection hire!

    Robin Lopez is a veteran space eating C who's gaining confidence! We don't need another young player added to an already young team who needs time to develope. Keep stocking up on young drafted players and well have a Wizards type team full if young knuckleheads that lack wisdom on being a PRO in&off the court. Every team needs veteran leadership, along with time to gel as a unite! Plus Lopez knows his role with this team with AD23, EG, Anderson, Rivers being the main options. Another highly drafted player who wants to launch his career by padding his stats will take away from the TEAM concept of Monty Williams. *See Sac Kings*
    If traded, I'm only trading my "Center" for a young budding Star like a Jennings, matching NBA experiences of the players plus the value of Shot Blocking/Shot alterring Centers in the NBA.
    (You don't just give a Center away for draft picks. History says that it's more likely for a Draft pick to be a Bust, then be successful in the NBA)

    *not all trades are good trades, even if guys have maxed on their trade value! Somebody have to be the AC Green on a roster, not all can be Magic/Jordan

    #JustSaying
    #COSIGN.... The idea is coming off very foolish and in my honest opinion shows just how little "reporters" know about the actual organization.. The guy will not be traded this season it is a WASTE of time to discuss it or present it as a idea.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    Some of these guys need to stick to what they know as reporters/editors OR learn the sport of which you're writing on!

    It is a known fact Its a crap shoot when drafting college kids into the NBA and the C's that are drafted normally takes 3-4 yrs to develope his game into the NBA, if at all he gets adjusted to the NBA! Robin Lopez is coming into his own by being a 2-4yr player in the NBA, and to trade him with the plan on drafting another C is just silly and will set the front Court back a few yrs waiting for the newly drafted C to develope. Then that same editor would write a article on Coach Monty should be fired due to the delayed progression of the team, all while pushing for a Tim Floyd hire or some other type of LSU/Louisiana connection hire!

    Robin Lopez is a veteran space eating C who's gaining confidence! We don't need another young player added to an already young team who needs time to develope. Keep stocking up on young drafted players and well have a Wizards type team full if young knuckleheads that lack wisdom on being a PRO in&off the court. Every team needs veteran leadership, along with time to gel as a unite! Plus Lopez knows his role with this team with AD23, EG, Anderson, Rivers being the main options. Another highly drafted player who wants to launch his career by padding his stats will take away from the TEAM concept of Monty Williams. *See Sac Kings*
    If traded, I'm only trading my "Center" for a young budding Star like a Jennings, matching NBA experiences of the players plus the value of Shot Blocking/Shot alterring Centers in the NBA.
    (You don't just give a Center away for draft picks. History says that it's more likely for a Draft pick to be a Bust, then be successful in the NBA)

    *not all trades are good trades, even if guys have maxed on their trade value! Somebody have to be the AC Green on a roster, not all can be Magic/Jordan

    #JustSaying
    A-freakin-MEN

  22. #22
    I just want us to find a way to land paul George or cousins and ill be happy, but I agree centers take time to develop we should trade or sign for cousins or al Jefferson and draft a small forward like shabazz or Otto porter

  23. #23
    Lopez is OBVIOUSLY a hard worker ! Anyone seen the baby left hook or the spin move from the foul line right or the up & under move last night ? He didnt learn these things in a dream he had ! He has finally got a coach that is teaching him THE POST game that fits Lopez ! He is gonna get better with those shots ! HE WORKS AT IT !!!! He schooled the OTHER 7' footer last night ! A good student is a B- or a C ! A good student with a GOOD teacher is an A- or a B ! Does anyone really think that Alvin Gentry taught this kid a POST game !?

  24. #24

    Trades...

    Remember how everyone was laughing at him when he said he would bring offense to the team prior to the season started? The man wasn't kidding!

  25. #25
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,332
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I just want us to find a way to land paul George or cousins and ill be happy, but I agree centers take time to develop we should trade or sign for cousins or al Jefferson and draft a small forward like shabazz or Otto porter
    Very underrated.
    My Anthony Davis website: http://thebrow.uphero.com/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •