Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gordon's first contact practice went well

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    As long as he comes back healthy and helps the team win, all will be forgiven. If the injuries continue to mount, he will be public enemy number one.
    To me, if the injuries continue to mount, Demps should be public enemy number one. Gordon is an injury prone player, but Dell is the one who matched the contract that could kill this teams books if he needs microfracture and/or just keeps getting injured.

I know we all love Dell and Gordon said some dumb things, but objectively speaking, Dell should be the one to blame and hate on if the injuries continue and he kills our cap, not Gordon.
    @mcnamara247

Who gave Dell the okay to give Gordon the contract? After all the hoopla about the contract and Gordon's words, it's not like Gordon wasn't being discussed at all so Dell HAD to have had some discussions with someone(s) on what to do about Gordon.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Dell should have given Gordon the contract, injuries or no injuries.

Let's go Gordon....Get right, ball out and shut people up

It don't have anything to do with people loving Dell. If Dell would've given Gordon that contract without someone(s) okay, how is it that Dell himself was able to get a new extension? Why would they give Dell an extension if they thought he screwed up by signing Gordon? They even gave Dell the extension AFTER they knew Gordon wasn't ready to play. There was just too much being made around not just here but the entire league about Gordon's offseason's words/injuries for Dell to just go give the contract without someones okay.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Dell should have given Gordon the contract, injuries or no injuries.
    Do you mean he should have given the contract in the first place, or he should have matched just like he did?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

I think the "puddin" thing is pretty damm funny... I spit out my drink when somebody posted this in another thread lol!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzsuf5ui6p1qe8vzf.gif

Its on Gordon to rid himself of the nickname.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_lzsuf5ui6p1qe8vzf.gif 
Views:	108 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	4550  

lets go E.Gordon stay healthy baby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Who gave Dell the okay to give Gordon the contract? After all the hoopla about the contract and Gordon's words, it's not like Gordon wasn't being discussed at all so Dell HAD to have had some discussions with someone(s) on what to do about Gordon.
    Dell's decision as the GM. Sure Benson could have said no, but he pays Demps for a reason. If Gordon doesn't pan out, its on Demps.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Dell's decision as the GM. Sure Benson could have said no, but he pays Demps for a reason. If Gordon doesn't pan out, its on Demps.
    And if Demps doesn't pan out it's on Benson right? If Benson could have said no, why didn't he? GM's overrule owners now?

And if Demps doesn't pan out it's on Benson right? If Benson could have said no, why didn't he? GM's overrule owners now?
    Of course not. You're making a silly point. Of course Benson is the owner, but Demps is the GM. Yes, he needs Benson's approval, but Demps is the GM and its his job to make these major decisions. Benson isn't gonna be held accountable if it doesn't pan out. Demps will be.

Of course not. You're making a silly point. Of course Benson is the owner, but Demps is the GM. Yes, he needs Benson's approval, but Demps is the GM and its his job to make these major decisions. Benson isn't gonna be held accountable if it doesn't pan out. Demps will be.
    I'm not making a silly point. These things go hand in hand. For all we know Demps may have wanted to go in another direction but was getting the word all along to give Gordon the contract no matter what. We don't really know. What if you found out years later that's really what happened? GM's are oftentimes the scapegoats for decisions owners want to make just as coaches are oftentimes the scapegoats for decisions GM's make. Fans always think they know everything that's going on but they don't. I don't. You don't.

And yes, Demps would likely be held accountable but my question is should he be if he was given Benson's approval?

I'm not making a silly point. These things go hand in hand. For all we know Demps may have wanted to go in another direction but was getting the word all along to give Gordon the contract no matter what. We don't really know. What if you found out years later that's really what happened? GM's are oftentimes the scapegoats for decisions owners want to make just as coaches are oftentimes the scapegoats for decisions GM's make. Fans always think they know everything that's going on but they don't. I don't. You don't.

And yes, Demps would likely be held accountable but my question is should he be if he was given Benson's approval?
    Difference between getting Benson's approval or Benson demanding it. Doubt Benson demanded it, but its possible.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Not to mention that if Benson had the time or knowledge to make those decisions himself he wouldn't need Demps. You hire people more knowledgeable to make those decisions for the good of the organization. Demps could justify any number of moves a thousand different ways and what could Benson do but get someone else's opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    Let's go Gordon....Get right, ball out and shut people up
    At this point he doesn't even need to ball out. People will shut up if he just gets on the court for more than 5 games. Is that asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not to mention that if Benson had the time or knowledge to make those decisions himself he wouldn't need Demps. You hire people more knowledgeable to make those decisions for the good of the organization. Demps could justify any number of moves a thousand different ways and what could Benson do but get someone else's opinion?
    This is all understandable, but, this isn't just any offseason signing we're talking about here. If they didn't have multiple conversations over this situation and all the ugliness that it was, then I just don't know what to say. If Dell didn't talk to Benson about it he surely talked to the newly appointed Exec Vice President about it who is closer to the owner than he is. I'm just saying there was just too much going on and being talked about to just go about it as though it was just a regular offseason signing.

That's a lot of 'What if's'. Of course he should be held accountable if Benson gave his approval. He has Demps to advise him on basketball moves, that's what Dell's job is. If Dell brought it to his desk and asked for approval, then it's Dell's head on the chopping block for the move. Benson isn't like one of the Buss', Cuban, or Jerry Jones. He seems to let the skilled people in the positions he hired them for do their jobs.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    At this point he doesn't even need to ball out. People will shut up if he just gets on the court for more than 5 games. Is that asking too much?
    Nope. If he plays 5games I might celebrate like we won the championship

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    That's a lot of 'What if's'. Of course he should be held accountable if Benson gave his approval. He has Demps to advise him on basketball moves, that's what Dell's job is. If Dell brought it to his desk and asked for approval, then it's Dell's head on the chopping block for the move. Benson isn't like one of the Buss', Cuban, or Jerry Jones. He seems to let the skilled people in the positions he hired them for do their jobs.
    If's, if's and more if's. Let's just sit back and watch it all unfold. IF Gordon doesn't pan out then Demps will be fired and Benson will have given Demps his extension too soon. Nothing more to say that hasn't already been said ad nauseum about this entire situation.

If's, if's and more if's. Let's just sit back and watch it all unfold. IF Gordon doesn't pan out then Demps will be fired and Benson will have given Demps his extension too soon. Nothing more to say that hasn't already been said ad nauseum about this entire situation.
    Can't answer what if's without Ifs haha.

But I agree.

You're not serious are you? Benson has never been an owner to meddle in the workings of those he pays to do their jobs. If they prove to be incompetent, they get fired. He certainly would not meddle with the new NBA team. He knows less about basketball than he does about football. Demps is paid to do a job, not run to Benson to ask him what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    After hearing the real story about Gordon, I think the Puddin comments are getting old.
    Gordon has earned that nickname thus far in his career. It is up to him to go out on the court and shed it. He needs to play more often than not and will need to show he can play through pain sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Gordon has earned that nickname thus far in his career. It is up to him to go out on the court and shed it. He needs to play more often than not and will need to show he can play through pain sometimes.
    So you think he should have played this season throughout his injuries? Last year?

Let's play some Puddin Pelican ball!

Was Gordon signed before or after we drafted Davis and Rivers?
    I can't remember for some reason.

However either way you look at it Demp's, Benson and Monty have faith in Gordon to be
    our cornerstone and we should get over it and accept these peoples choice.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Wade was/is an injury prone player but you don't let him walk just because of the what ifs.

If he didn't want to be in Nola then this is where it doesn't sit right with me.

I have faith.....and I can't wait to see Gordon, Rivers, Anderson and Davis on the court
    together.

Thread Information