Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Gordon's first contact practice went well

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Gordon's first contact practice went well

Living in the past does not change the present. It's over. Let's stop talking about it.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Living in the past does not change the present. It's over. Let's stop talking about it.
    don't you just wish the present would get here?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    don't you just wish the present would get here?
    Tomorrow Gordon and JSmoove will both return, I know it!

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Tomorrow Gordon and JSmoove will both return, I know it!
    I wish we would just let gordon play tonight. Even if its just for 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    No it was closer to $2 million a year then 500k.. A 4 year $52 or $58 thats a big difference. His point is all basing off of what he thinks went on or what the Hornets could have maybe done. How Dell is an idiot when he did exactly what he should have done and I thought he handled it very well. He offered him a good deal for us and him. He still had the option to not sign it and wait until next year but the Suns came out of nowhere so we matched. What about his argument is right? Like I said why didn't the Thunder offer Harden the max if its so meaningless? We are going to need every bit of $ we can have for the future signings. Why doesn't every player just get the max to avoid anything because its just a few more million per year? Thats what the Spurs do right? What about the Thunder and the "great" Presti?
    The Thunder didn't offer Harden the max because they have 2 other max players on the roster and could not come close to affording all three and keeping Ibaka and Perkins. The Hornets have no other max players on the roster. That is why we could have just given him a max contract to begin with and kept everyone happy instead of sparking all of this bad publicity. And by the way, 6 mil to Benson is absolutely nothing so please stop treating it like 6 million to one of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    The Thunder didn't offer Harden the max because they have 2 other max players on the roster and could not come close to affording all three and keeping Ibaka and Perkins. The Hornets have no other max players on the roster. That is why we could have just given him a max contract to begin with and kept everyone happy instead of sparking all of this bad publicity. And by the way, 6 mil to Benson is absolutely nothing so please stop treating it like 6 million to one of us.
    Thanks for posting this. Saved me some time. The situations are not the same at all.

Also if you would have read the follwoing article, it was 500k not 2 million. Not sure where you're getting your information from. This is EXCETLY where DaThone has a point. He could have just taken off that stipulation and the deal is done.

Before the surgery, however, the Hornets attempted to sign Gordon to a contract extension, offering him a five-year contract at an average, a source said, of $13 million despite the fact that Gordon had played in only two games.

The deadline to sign was 11 p.m. central time Jan. 25.

β€œHe wanted $13.5,” said the source.
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...dona_saga.html

"I don't know if people know β€” I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Re: Gordon's first contact practice went well

The Thunder had room for the contract. They just didn't want to go that far into the luxury cap. :shrug:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    If it were your 6 million you would sing a different tune. Shrewd businessmen do not pay 6 million more simply to avoid drama. That is the line of thinking that will have your cap situation f'd up in a hurry
    With contracts having a cap you simply can not over pay a franchise player. Their value to a team far exceed what the cap pays them. If we are talking about our 6th man than yes I agree 100%, but this was the guy tagged as the franchise at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Why didn't the saints just offer brees 200 million dollars and avoid the hold out and all the negative attention it brought? Because you don't give money away. We were willing to give him the max but didn't believe anyone else would offer him that, after-all only 1 other team did, so why waste money? No one could have predicted the way it would have played out, it could have ended up being perfectly fine. Your entire argument for months and months is based off of hindsight.
    Football is different for two major reasons a) there's a hard cap and b) there's no cap on what one player can make. Max deals make it a no brainer contract for NBA GM's. Either he is a max player at his max level or he's not.

Plus one could argue that the Saints should have just given Brees the money. Especially with the whole bounty scandal going on.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    With contracts having a cap you simply can not over pay a franchise player. Their value to a team far exceed what the cap pays them. If we are talking about our 6th man than yes I agree 100%, but this was the guy tagged as the franchise at the time.
    All franchise players aren't created equal. LeBron James is worth a ton more to any team than he gets. Danny Granger is probably overpaid. Both guys are or were at the time of signing considered "the franchise" to their team. A couple million a year isn't insignificant unless A. you know you're going to be over the cap going forward (and we aren't next season) and B. You don't care about lux tax, which doesn't describe most teams (New Orleans especially).

We don't know what was said behind closed doors last season. If the Hornets gave Gordon reason to believe they'd max him, then he likely feels lied to and that's on Demps. But we don't know that ... Gordon could have just been annoyed that he wasn't getting the red carpet treatment and if that's the case, the Hornets did nothing wrong. That's the reality of restricted free agency and Gordon just has to suck it up.

Even with his injury history anybody think Riley would let Wade hit the open market just to save what was what about a million and a half per season?
    Demps never let Gordon hit the open market. Restricted free agency is the furthest thing from the open market, because the team with his rights can match anything. If Gordon were about to become a legit "free" agent, then Demps would have certainly maxed him out. He proved that when he matched Phoenix's offer.

The Hornets took a shot at getting a better deal. Gordon went out and got the best one possible, and we matched.

I'm not even so sure he was that unhappy with the Hornets to begin with. Teams don't like to sign restricted free agents because it ties up all their money for days on a player usually not likely to go unmatched. The Suns might have told him, "We'll take a shot on this, but you've got to do your part to make it plausible that they'd let you go. Talk some junk."

Put it this way: It seems like a trendy tactic. Minnesota signed Nic Batum to a sheet and Batum was saying all the same stuff. His agent told the press that the Blazers should let Batum to go Minnesota, because "his dream is to play in Minnesota." (LMAO). Anyway, the Blazers matched and Batum is having a strong season.

Gordon started doing damage control via Twitter, etc, as soon as the Hornets matched, so the signs are there that the man just wanted to get paid.

I think the Batum comparison is a good one. He and his agent were begging and pleading with the Blazers not to match but they did so anyways. A couple months later, everything is smoothed over and nobody even remembers the whole ordeal anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    All franchise players aren't created equal. LeBron James is worth a ton more to any team than he gets. Danny Granger is probably overpaid. Both guys are or were at the time of signing considered "the franchise" to their team. A couple million a year isn't insignificant unless A. you know you're going to be over the cap going forward (and we aren't next season) and B. You don't care about lux tax, which doesn't describe most teams (New Orleans especially).

We don't know what was said behind closed doors last season. If the Hornets gave Gordon reason to believe they'd max him, then he likely feels lied to and that's on Demps. But we don't know that ... Gordon could have just been annoyed that he wasn't getting the red carpet treatment and if that's the case, the Hornets did nothing wrong. That's the reality of restricted free agency and Gordon just has to suck it up.
    I guess it's all in how you define "franchise player". Granger IMO isn't a franchise player. He was the best player on his team. Likewise Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh both are franchise players and neither are the best players on the team.

So while I agree all franchise players aren't the same ie Kevin Love vs LeBron James. Not every player who's getting a max deal is a franchise player. Teams gamble on guys like Granger, Gay, or even Gordon hoping they become franchise players.

My point is if you have a Dwight Howard or Chris Paul the max rule makes it so that you never have to worry about over paying. Plus it limits the damage of missing on a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Demps never let Gordon hit the open market. Restricted free agency is the furthest thing from the open market, because the team with his rights can match anything. If Gordon were about to become a legit "free" agent, then Demps would have certainly maxed him out. He proved that when he matched Phoenix's offer.

The Hornets took a shot at getting a better deal. Gordon went out and got the best one possible, and we matched.

I'm not even so sure he was that unhappy with the Hornets to begin with. Teams don't like to sign restricted free agents because it ties up all their money for days on a player usually not likely to go unmatched. The Suns might have told him, "We'll take a shot on this, but you've got to do your part to make it plausible that they'd let you go. Talk some junk."

Put it this way: It seems like a trendy tactic. Minnesota signed Nic Batum to a sheet and Batum was saying all the same stuff. His agent told the press that the Blazers should let Batum to go Minnesota, because "his dream is to play in Minnesota." (LMAO). Anyway, the Blazers matched and Batum is having a strong season.

Gordon started doing damage control via Twitter, etc, as soon as the Hornets matched, so the signs are there that the man just wanted to get paid.
    You are right the term "open market" didn't fit the situation being he was a RFA. However the premise was the same. Why let the guy you have tag as the franchise shop himself around? It's the principle and the lack of respect that would never happen to a Kevin Love or Dwayne Wade. I guarentee Cleveland won't try to low ball Kyrie Irving.

You are right the term "open market" didn't fit the situation being he was a RFA. However the premise was the same. Why let the guy you have tag as the franchise shop himself around? It's the principle and the lack of respect that would never happen to a Kevin Love or Dwayne Wade. I guarentee Cleveland won't try to low ball Kyrie Irving.
    well eric gordon is not our franchise player..anthony davis is

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    I've been saying that for ages. Only thing holding him back is experience and his weight. Once he handles both, NBA won't be able to handle him.

feels like christmas today

Love has already been "low balled" by recieving a four year extension, instead of the five year extension he sought out. Speculation is that they are saving it for their more important piece in Rubio. Sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Love has already been "low balled" by recieving a four year extension, instead of the five year extension he sought out. Speculation is that they are saving it for their more important piece in Rubio. Sound familiar?
    Love was publically mad about it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    We don't know who are franchise player is yet, but at the time we didn't have Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Love was publically mad about it, too.
    Love is STILL mad about it.

Thread Information