Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: STOP THE ROBIN LOPEZ TRADE SCENARIOS!!!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Or we can stop trying to fix the team through trades during the middle of the season, wait to see how everything unfolds with Gordon, player development, draft picks, and make our moves in the off-season. That's what I'm for.

Quick question, why don't we talk about trading Smith instead of Lopez? Why hasn't that idea at all been tossed around? Not to say that I'm for it, but the fact that we ONLY talk about trading Lopez is a bit peculiar. Is it because we don't believe Robin keeps this up since we thought prior to the season he sucked? Or do we just think that Jason is not going to bring anything really worthwhile?

Keep in mind that Jason is almost 27, will need to be paid a new contract after next season when he will be 28, and has missed a good chunk of games in his career so far. Yet after a month of playing quality basketball, we're ready to declare Smith the future 3rd big of this franchise to roll with Anderson and Davis. Why not Lopez instead?

There are other ways to get talented players, I believe, besides trading our own. We could trade our draft pick to a desperate team on draft night, we could sign a free agent, use our cap space to pick up assets through trade when teams try to shed space to avoid the luxury tax line, or if we're lucky we could land a really solid player in the draft (I'm praying we somehow land Shabazz, but definitely not banking on it.) Just giving Lopez away to get unproven commodities at other positions seems a bit over-reactionary to me.

Besides, I would rather be really elite in one area (an area few teams are) than balanced across the board. We're never going to have as good of perimeter players as OKC/Miami, but we can find good enough players to not get dominated by their outside players while we take advantage of our matchups down low.

But that's just me. I understand why people want to trade Lopez, but I disagree with the idea.

All I know is this team has so much talent, tons of trade material and another top 3 pick, our future looks great

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    But for that kind of trade to work, shouldn't you have some ready prospect to take that player's place? There is a limit to trading players who are good for you. You only do that when you are stacked at one spot. At this point in time the Hornets are not. Davis isnt ready, J. Smith can't play extended minutes and is prime for injuries for his physcial style, and whoever you bring in to fill that spot will throw off team chemistry this season or be a ?? next season.

Just doesn't make sense to trade Lopez. X and Aminu are definitely better trade prospects right now.
    There is no "right" answer. No line of building is guaranteed to work.

I just don't like when people say that it is not an option because he is playing well. It's always an option. You always look at ways to make your team better, and sometimes that means moving guys who can actually play.

I personally would do it, others obviously would not, and that is fine. I would be more than happy if he stayed here for the next three years, provided we fill in our holes at PG and on the wings.

But to say that there is no merit to the idea of moving him for an upgrade at other positions is simply not correct, especially when nobody else on this team has trade value besides AD and Anderson, who aren't going anywhere unless a mega star comes back in return. The idea has merit, it is just a matter of how good the offers are. Not one other team believed in him for that price tag four months ago. Have a couple of good offensive games on a bad team made other teams a believer? And enough to offer a quality player in return? Who knows
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 12-26-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Yeah, I forgot. Fans only want to trade their bad players and expect to get a king's ransom for them.

When will people understand that those who are pro trading Lopez want to move him because he is good, not because we think he stinks? To get quality, you have to give quality.

But we can stop the Lopez trade scenarios and go back to the Trade Ideas that involve us moving Henry or Aminu for a quality starter. I'm on board with that
    This. As I said his trade value is sky high and if the right deal came along we should jump on it. Like another top 5 pick.

There is no "right" answer. No line of building is guaranteed to work.

I just don't like when people say that it is not an option because he is playing well. It's always an option. You always look at ways to make your team better, and sometimes that means moving guys who can actually play.

I personally would do it, others obviously would not, and that is fine. I would be more than happy if he stayed here for the next three years, provided we fill in our holes at PG and on the wings.

But to say that there is no merit to the idea of moving him for an upgrade at other positions is simply not correct, especially when nobody else on this team has trade value besides AD and Anderson, who aren't going anywhere unless a mega star comes back in return. The idea has merit, it is just a matter of how good the offers are. Not one other team believed in him for that price tag four months ago. Have a couple of good offensive games on a bad team made other teams a believer? And enough to offer a quality player in return? Who knows
    If he's 29 or 30 I'm on board with you. He's 24 and still improving so I ain't. He is what you go searching for in trades. Defeats the purpose.

But like you said, thats just me.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I'd be in favor of trading Lopez if the right deal came along but I don't think that one with Boston is it.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If he's 29 or 30 I'm on board with you. He's 24 and still improving so I ain't. He is what you go searching for in trades. Defeats the purpose.

But like you said, thats just me.
    And my personal opinion is that I think the playoffs are drastically different from the regular season. When he is scouted and matched up against the best of the best every night, I highly doubt the 20+ points nights will be there, but what will never leave is the poor rebounding and the horrid pick and roll defense.

We won't be able to play him against a team like OKC in the playoffs. And before someone says, "But he helps against true centers..." Marc Gasol ate him alive this year.

I dont think the good translates to playoff basketball, and I think the bad does. I really hope I am wrong if he is still here when we get to the playoffs, but that is my thinking based on what I see and what I have seen happen in the playoffs in my 20+ years watching. We'll see

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    And my personal opinion is that I think the playoffs are drastically different from the regular season. When he is scouted and matched up against the best of the best every night, I highly doubt the 20+ points nights will be there, but what will never leave is the poor rebounding and the horrid pick and roll defense.

We won't be able to play him against a team like OKC in the playoffs. And before someone says, "But he helps against true centers..." Marc Gasol ate him alive this year.

I dont think the good translates to playoff basketball, and I think the bad does. I really hope I am wrong if he is still here when we get to the playoffs, but that is my thinking based on what I see and what I have seen happen in the playoffs in my 20+ years watching. We'll see
    As long as Scott Brooks is the coach in OKC I'll disagree with this lol

Lopez has so much trade value right now it's rediculous
    He can:
    Great defender shot blocker
    Post game
    Mid range
    Hustle
    7fter
    24 years old
    Cheap contract

Over the last 4 games he is averaging 23 points 7.4 Rebs 3 blocks

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    And over the previous 5 he averaged 6.4 points and 4.6 rebounds, but that has all been forgotten.

I would be on board with trading him when value is at its highest, but again, just me

It sure did translate in 2009-2010 in the playoffs against the Lakers.

Also, if we're going to talk about not translating into the playoffs, why don't we talk about Ryan Anderson? But that doesn't even come into the discussion when we talk about him as a top 30 player.
    Last edited by Bee-Fense; 12-26-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Here's the deal:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cqongzc

Plus the Celtics throw in two 1st rounders.

Fab Melo has actually been playing well in the D-League. Could get 8 minutes next year, 12 the year after, etc. Bradley was as hyped as Eric Bledsoe is now before the injury. Elite on-ball defender.

Would have

GV/Rivers/Roberts
    Gordon/Bradley
    /Miller
    Anderson/Smith/L. Thomas
    Davis/Melo

Plus a high 1st rounder and 17 million in cap space next summer
    I dont hate this trade at all, but the question is, why wouldn't we just trade Lopez for Cousins? Don't think we have the infrastructure to deal with him?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

STOP THE ROBIN LOPEZ TRADE SCENARIOS!!!!!

We don't need him to give you 20 point night in and night out. Having him be seen as a threat is enough to open up some things for other guys. This was my biggest issue with Okafor. He wasn't even a threat to score 20 in most nights.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    You have to look at the body of work man.

I personally think Lopez's numbers are inflated by our lack of scoring options. On a decent team he doesn't touch the ball half as much.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post

I personally think Lopez's numbers are inflated by our lack of scoring options. On a decent team he doesn't touch the ball half as much.
    His usage rate is right where it was 2 years ago though (on a .500 team), and it's only 20% anyways so it's not like he's being used all that much.

I will leave this thread for now and return in two weeks when he has returned back to earth offensively. The scoring masks his horrible P&R defense and inability to rebound (3 tonight), but people will be complaining about those issues when these scoring nights go away.

He is a solid player, a good 3rd big on most teams, but he is by no means untradeable

STOP THE ROBIN LOPEZ TRADE SCENARIOS!!!!!

Like any player, you feed him the rock when he's hot. I don't think the Hornets go into games with the mindset of force feeding him to make sure he gets involved. How much they utilize him depends heavily on effective he is on that given night.

Better than looking at body of work on a small sample, you look at how they are scoring and against who. ALL players have their dead spots during an 82 game season. Westbrook vertainly has his. We're only 1/3 through this season as it is.

If Lopez is just scoring off putbacks and an unusual uptick in free throws maybe I'd doubt. But he's used an array of 1-on-1 scoring options and every game they've been looking more and more legitimate. Kind of like his twin brother .

He's gone on this tear against teams with a combined record of 72-42, so it's not like he's doing it on chopped liver teams who don't know how to win.

Decent teams also know how to score in the paint. High percentage shots. If he's playing well he'd definitely see the ball near the rim on a decent team.
    Last edited by luckyman; 12-26-2012 at 10:26 PM.

I will leave this thread for now and return in two weeks when he has returned back to earth offensively. The scoring masks his horrible P&R defense and inability to rebound (3 tonight), but people will be complaining about those issues when these scoring nights go away.

He is a solid player, a good 3rd big on most teams, but he is by no means untradeable
    Honestly he's been doing this off and on all season. He's scored double figures in 16 of the 28 games he's played so far and 15+ in 10 of those 16. 20+ six times.

He's gone no more than 2 straight games not scoring double figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Or we can stop trying to fix the team through trades during the middle of the season, wait to see how everything unfolds with Gordon, player development, draft picks, and make our moves in the off-season. That's what I'm for.
    Agreed. Very little risk with Lopez as he has a great contract and he is young. Unless someone blew you away with an offer, I would hold on to him and see how the team gels. We are not trading to make the playoffs, but looking to build.

What would you guys think of this?

First Trade: Lopez and Aminu to LAC for Bledsoe and Odom.

Second Trade: Vasquez and Henry to Houston for Royce White and D. Motiejunas.

Flip Odom for anything we can get.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    What would you guys think of this?

First Trade: Lopez and Aminu to LAC for Bledsoe and Odom.

Second Trade: Vasquez and Henry to Houston for Royce White and D. Motiejunas.

Flip Odom for anything we can get.
    depending on the contract, maybe keep Odom to bus White to road sites?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Lopez and vasques for cousins please

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Why can't the Lopez twins rebound for $!#%? I mean its kinda strange to me, that BOTH cant rebound lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Thread Information