Pelicans Report

Thread: How many fan bases would choose their current teams' mascot/logo?

How many fan bases would choose their current teams' mascot/logo?

So now that we are becoming the Pelicans, I find myself really thinking about other teams' names far more often than I used to. Tonight we played the Spurs, and of course Sean Elliot made fun of how unintimidating Pelicans is as a name. Really? From a team that is named after a shoe accessory? Really?!?

So it got me to thinking. Imagine all 30 teams had their mascot/logo stripped. We erased their memory of the past so they weren't nostalgic, and put five options for their team name in front of them and had fans vote. How many fan bases would likely pick that same name?

I know the answer is impossible to know for sure, but for instance, we know that there is no way in the world that LA fans choose Lakers for their team (or probably even Clippers for that matter).

So, who do you got? What name would actually still be picked today if all things were equal? My guesses:

Heat, Timberwolves, 76ers, Nets, Pistons, Mavericks

Maybe's: Hawks, Rockets, Celtics, Trailblazers

Point is, I think that if the NBA was just starting today and we started off from scratch, most fan bases would scoff at the very same mascots/logos that they not only accept, but wear with pride today.

Agree or Disagree?
    @mcnamara247

I'd love if we stayed the Hornets, I loved the color scheme and everything
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Hmm, among current teams, the names I like personally are Timberwolves, Magic (it's fits perfectly in ORL), Bulls, Celtics and Suns.

Pistons too.

McNamara,

I see you are posting on your twitter acct regarding Ryno's chances for 6th man award. I don't have a twitter account to respond and your personal messages are full so I am doing it here. I love Ryno and think he would win 6th man award if it weren't for one thing. And that is the fact that we are 5-21!!!! I think he has a 0% chance of winning because of that and quite frankly don't think he is even in the conversation. Look at the past winners and they all come from playoff teams.

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Are you honestly suggesting that Utah would not honor their cultural roots by choosing Jazz again? I'll assume you just forgot to include it.

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    McNamara,

I see you are posting on your twitter acct regarding Ryno's chances for 6th man award. I don't have a twitter account to respond and your personal messages are full so I am doing it here. I love Ryno and think he would win 6th man award if it weren't for one thing. And that is the fact that we are 5-21!!!! I think he has a 0% chance of winning because of that and quite frankly don't think he is even in the conversation. Look at the past winners and they all come from playoff teams.
    I agree- it is Jamal Crawford's award to lose as of right now, but Ryno's numbers could prove to be too much to overlook by the end of the year, and if the Hornets could get to a respectable record....

It's a long shot, I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I'd love if we stayed the Hornets, I loved the color scheme and everything
    No offense but it seems like you pick teams randomly with no consideration to geography, etc. You're a very rare breed. You're probably the only person in America who roots for the Hornets, Seahawks, Braves, and Mighty Ducks. What did you make these picks based off of - color scheme? Favorite players?
    Last edited by WisconsinHornet; 12-22-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I agree- it is Jamal Crawford's award to lose as of right now, but Ryno's numbers could prove to be too much to overlook by the end of the year, and if the Hornets could get to a respectable record....

It's a long shot, I agree
    Yes... fingers crossed that we win a bunch of meaningless games and screw up our draft slot so that Ryan Anderson can potentially win the 6th Man Award.

I went through this the other day. I counted 8 teams where their names actually makes sense with the community or culture around them.

Pelicans could easily be a top 10 name as far its connection to the culture of the gulf coast

San antonio spurs. I bet they love that

Thread Information