Pelicans Report

Thread: Something I found interesting....

Something I found interesting....

Lets check out how Austin is fairing Vs the other top 10 draft pick SG's....

Austin Rivers:
    FG%: .361
    3PT%: .375
    FT%: .618
    PER 36:
    TO: 2.0
    AST: 3.5

Defense Rating: 114

Bradley Beal:
    FG%: .358
    3PT%: .305
    FT%: .843
    PER 36:
    TO: 2.1
    AST: 2.8

Defense Rating: 105

Dion Waiters:
    FG%: .363
    3PT%: .333
    FT%: .741
    PER 36:
    TO: 2.3
    AST: 3.9

Defense Rating: 111

Terrence Ross:
    FG%: .396
    3PT%: .286
    FT%: .545
    PER 36:
    TO: 1.7
    AST: 1.4

Defense Rating: 109

Aside from his problems at the FT line, hes tracking as well as the others. When you consider the hype around Beal, for him to be struggling with his shot as much as Rivers is makes me feel a bit more confident that it'll be OK and reminds me that these perimeter scorers need some time to adjust to the NBA game.

P.S. Anthony Davis is an absolute beast.

P.P.S. Yay 1000 posts.
    Last edited by Impose; 12-21-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Lets check out how Austin is fairing Vs the other top 10 draft pick SG's....

Austin Rivers:
    FG%: .361
    3PT%: .375
    FT%: .618
    PER 36:
    TO: 2.0
    AST: 3.5

Bradley Beal:
    FG%: .358
    3PT%: .305
    FT%: .843
    PER 36:
    TO: 2.1
    AST: 2.8

Dion Waiters:
    FG%: .363
    3PT%: .333
    FT%: .741
    PER 36:
    TO: 2.3
    AST: 3.9

Terrence Ross:
    FG%: .396
    3PT%: .286
    FT%: .545
    PER 36:
    TO: 1.7
    AST: 1.4

Aside from his problems at the FT line, hes tracking as well as the others. When you consider the hype around Beal, for him to be struggling with his shot as much as Rivers is makes me feel a bit more confident that it'll be OK and reminds me that these perimeter scorers need some time to adjust to the NBA game.

P.S. Anthony Davis is an absolute beast.

P.P.S. Yay 1000 posts.
    Compare those first three today. What I really was trying to find were their defensive rating but dont know where to go
    Ballin

www.basketball-reference.com is the best site. Added D Rate, Rivers behind a lil there, but not by too much.

Re: Something I found interesting....

DRTG is mainly useful as a stat to compare teams. It is not a good way to compare the defense of two players on the same team, much less players on different teams. It is a stat that is highly dependent on the team.

It is a fine stat, but just have to understand the best way to apply it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

My only quibble is that he's supposed to be our "PG of the future"
    If he were destined to stay in his natural position, I would be more excited. Not to rain on the parade, and I do realize its gonna be a long process. I just wish I was more excited for it.
    Jrue dat

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Rivers is surprisingly turning into a good defender, better than he was in college and showing alot of potential and improvements!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    Rivers is surprisingly turning into a good defender, better than he was in college and showing alot of potential and improvements!
    He has a long way to go but I agree. The biggest problem defensively I see is closing out. He leaves guys open in the corner (which is what is supposed to happen in zone) but strays too far away. When that pass is made he has too much court to cover to defend the 3 ball.

Humor is reason gone mad Savagetaint's Avatar
    I expect Rivers to improve a great deal by the end of this season and into the next. He has already made a little jump from the start of the season. With Gordon back he will be running with the second unit and get to watch one of the better scorers/creators in the league. That can only help him progress.
    Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

The argument works both ways. Most people say 'the only reason Rivers was drafted at 10 is his last name'. It's also one of the main reasons he's been labeled a bust already. He's an inefficient checker who talks too much, but he's been quiet and hasn't really taken too many bad shots all year.

That list above just shows the difference between the media saying 'Beal is getting his lumps' and 'Rivers is struggling'. Future is bright, bright, bright.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    The argument works both ways. Most people say 'the only reason Rivers was drafted at 10 is his last name'. It's also one of the main reasons he's been labeled a bust already. He's an inefficient checker who talks too much, but he's been quiet and hasn't really taken too many bad shots all year.

That list above just shows the difference between the media saying 'Beal is getting his lumps' and 'Rivers is struggling'. Future is bright, bright, bright.
    Future is very bright. I love the complete game of everything he has showed with great moves just needing consistency and practice. Driving will be so much easier for him once he adds about 10-15 pounds of muscle to his frame being able to absorb contact. He talks about how he studies many players game and tries to take things from each player and master them. He looks like a player who once developed can have post moves like a Kobe to go along with a knockdown jumpshot Ray Allen style. He has trouble finishing at the rim now but will only get better with time. He shows flashes of greatness with some of his finishing moves that very few guards show the ability of. Rivers will be great because he won't let himself be good, average, and definitely not a bust. Wishful thinking but could you imagine if he grew 3 inches and was able to play SF!?

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Future is very bright. I love the complete game of everything he has showed with great moves just needing consistency and practice. Driving will be so much easier for him once he adds about 10-15 pounds of muscle to his frame being able to absorb contact. He talks about how he studies many players game and tries to take things from each player and master them. He looks like a player who once developed can have post moves like a Kobe to go along with a knockdown jumpshot Ray Allen style. He has trouble finishing at the rim now but will only get better with time. He shows flashes of greatness with some of his finishing moves that very few guards show the ability of. Rivers will be great because he won't let himself be good, average, and definitely not a bust. Wishful thinking but could you imagine if he grew 3 inches and was able to play SF!?
    I'm sorry but i don't see Rivers developing a post game and i dont see him being a 3 or ever really being able to be in the same sentence as Kobe or Allen. I'm excited for him as well and his development.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

GuardianAngel,

Rivers is barely big enough to play SG, there is no way he plays the 3 or is ever in the post.

And to even mention him in the same sentence as Kobe is downright offensive to ANY BASKETBALL fan.

Something I found interesting....

Rivers doesn't look any bigger than he did when he came to duke. Gaining weight and maintaining it will take Rivers quite a bit of time.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    GuardianAngel,

Rivers is barely big enough to play SG, there is no way he plays the 3 or is ever in the post.

And to even mention him in the same sentence as Kobe is downright offensive to ANY BASKETBALL fan.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smow- View Post
    My only quibble is that he's supposed to be our "PG of the future"
    If he were destined to stay in his natural position, I would be more excited. Not to rain on the parade, and I do realize its gonna be a long process. I just wish I was more excited for it.

I couldn't of said it any better myself. I think he has all the potential in the world but he has a LONG way to go

By Month GP MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
    October 1 24.0 1.0-9.0 .111 0.0-2.0 .000 5.0-6.0 .833 0.0 1.0 1.0 2.0 0.0 0.0 3.0 3.0 7.0
    November 12 28.6 2.4-7.1 .341 0.8-1.9 .391 1.4-2.3 .630 0.3 2.0 2.3 3.3 0.3 0.8 2.0 1.5 7.0
    December 11 28.2 3.5-8.8 .402 0.8-2.1 .391 1.1-2.0 .545 0.0 2.1 2.1 2.3 0.1 0.5 2.3 1.5 9.0
    Pre All-Star 24 28.2 2.9-8.0 .361 0.8-2.0 .375 1.4-2.3 .618 0.2 2.0 2.2 2.8 0.2 0.6 2.2 1.5 7.9
    Improving every month. Shooting 40.2% in December.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    He needs to add at least 15 lbs of muscle and it sucks because he's best suited for the 2, and we already have Gordon. Plus Anderson is best suited for the 4, and we already have Davis. Would he nice if Davis could add about 30 lbs of muscle so he could play the 5.

This goes back to the debate about the blurring of positions in today's NBA. I think the Hornets drafted Rivers with the idea that he and Gordon could eventually be on the floor together as dueling combo guards. This obviously goes in the face of traditional notions of a single PG who handles the ball and runs the team. But I think the squad thinks that either Rivers or Gordon could bring the ball up and initiate the offense depending on circumstances and line ups, with neither being a true PG or full time SG, but flexing between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    This goes back to the debate about the blurring of positions in today's NBA. I think the Hornets drafted Rivers with the idea that he and Gordon could eventually be on the floor together as dueling combo guards. This obviously goes in the face of traditional notions of a single PG who handles the ball and runs the team. But I think the squad thinks that either Rivers or Gordon could bring the ball up and initiate the offense depending on circumstances and line ups, with neither being a true PG or full time SG, but flexing between the two.
    That's exactly it. I love the idea of 2 combo guards because it allows you to exploit matchups - whoever has the weaker defender guarding him can carry more of the load that night. It gives you 2 guys that can run the offense, which should help with stalling. It's also great for running the break and helps us mix in more zone when we want to (especially when we go heavy with Anderson at the 3). So long as both players can shoot well off the ball, it will work fine, and Rivers is shooting very well from 3 right now, all things considered.

Austin's going to be fine. He's already one of my favorite players. We heard all about his work ethic before the season, and it's obvious that work ethic is paying off. Keep in mind the advanced stats in the original post are a bit "bogged down" by Rivers' slow start.

He's probably not the next Kobe or Westbrook, but in a few years he could blossom into an elite 5th option/6th man of the year candidate (assuming options 1-4 are, in any order, Gordon, Davis, Anderson, and max player we sign with our cap space this offseason). He needs to add some bulk, continue to work on his shot (especially his FT shooting), and improve on defense, but I think he's going to wind up being a really great Pelican.

This

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    Austin's going to be fine. He's already one of my favorite players. We heard all about his work ethic before the season, and it's obvious that work ethic is paying off. Keep in mind the advanced stats in the original post are a bit "bogged down" by Rivers' slow start.

He's probably not the next Kobe or Westbrook, but in a few years he could blossom into an elite 5th option/6th man of the year candidate (assuming options 1-4 are, in any order, Gordon, Davis, Anderson, and max player we sign with our cap space this offseason). He needs to add some bulk, continue to work on his shot (especially his FT shooting), and improve on defense, but I think he's going to wind up being a really great Pelican.
    This is more of what I meant. He shows flashes of being able to put a complete package together and have all the tools to be great. I never said he was ray Allen or Kobe. Simply he can develop a knockdown jumper like Ray and why not? I said he will develop a total game like Kobe but never said he would be Kobe. If anyone gets close to showing a total package like Kobe it is Rivers. I was st imply stating how he takes things from everyone's game and tries to incorporate them in his. Ala a Kobe Bryant. He is very capabl of playing guard and if he grew to 6'8 your telling me he couldn't play SF?

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post

Loved your post. Just to make it clear not all of my last comment was directed towards you.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 12-21-2012 at 07:57 PM.

This goes back to the debate about the blurring of positions in today's NBA. I think the Hornets drafted Rivers with the idea that he and Gordon could eventually be on the floor together as dueling combo guards. This obviously goes in the face of traditional notions of a single PG who handles the ball and runs the team.
    This is an interesting and valid point here. I think we'll start to see much less emphasis on positions in the league, and much more experimentation with line-up possibilities. Three-guard line-ups, with an athletic wing-forward type and a high-flying big man. Combinations like this.

Again. Davis doesn't need 30 pounds to play center in the NBA. He just needs to get a wee bit stronger. Not necessarily go up the weight column. He and Anderson can play together. I almost guarantee it.

Thread Information