Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Bledsoe is a must! Dell get it done! Christmas Present for all fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    ^True dat; Aminu's really been more aggressive going to the basket lately and showing nice post moves. And I guess for me personally, I see these players as people , people with personalities and internal thoughts, drives, motivations. Some fans and fan-writers seem to leave this human element out of the equation while keying in on the stats and past trends as the be-all-end-all. Have players ever improved parts of their games in the game of basketball? Yes, surely they have. Especially when we're talking about players that are in their young 20's. Take Tyson Chandler for example. Early in his career he didn't show much offensive skill, people were saying he would never develop any offensive game, limiting him to a situational defensive shot-blocker role-player. Over the years, he worked on the offensive part of his game with the help of good point-guards and now is a double-digit scorer all-star and starter for one of the top team's in the league. And former Defensive Player of the Year because he made sure to continue to focus on what he naturally excelled at while improving his weaker spots in his game. People change, people develop. Basketball players are people, too.
    Exactly. Also, everyone seems to think that Rivers will be leaps and bounds better next year with practice but its impossible for Aminu to improve his jumper. Why is improvement exclusive to certain players. To me, that's crazy thinking. Everyone has the ability to improve and to think that Aminu's jumper isn't fixable is a foreign concept to me. I only see upside with Aminu personally.

Aminu has been in the league for three years and his jumper misses by a mile. It's not like they are just a little short or a little long.

Notice that nobody thinks Henry will get much better either. And trust me, if Rivers still is this bad in year 3, nobody will believe that he will get better either.

Aminu is one of the worst, if not the worst, perimeter shooters in the league- with regard to guys that play the perimeter positions. He is in year 3. It isn't going to get much better, and if it does, it will go from horrible to just very bad. It will not jump from horrible to average. That would be almost unprecedented. Maybe he will be the exception, who knows, but those who say that Aminu will always be a bad shooter will likely be right on this specific topic.
    @mcnamara247

6. Al-Farouq Aminu's Jump Shot

If it could speak, Aminu's jumper would say, "WHEEE!!!! I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm way high in the air right now!" It is a basketball prayer, every time. It has been nice to see Aminu work his way back into Monty Williams's rotation as a rebounder and plus defender, but, man, is he hard to watch on offense.
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...tar-selections

everyone seems to think that Rivers will be leaps and bounds better next year with practice but its impossible for Aminu to improve his jumper.
    The difference between them is Rivers has had zero offseaons to work on his shot while Aminu has had multiple.
    Last edited by BP225; 01-25-2013 at 12:58 PM.

I don't think Aminu will improve his jumper unless he radically changes his mechanics and works with a shooting coach in the offseason.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I dont think Aminu will ever even get to the "below average" category with regard to jump shooting, but if he can continue to develop this mini post game he has and work the baseline on offense, he can be of huge value to the team. Like a much longer, better rebounding version of what Ronnie Brewer was in Utah

I think aminu might improve slightly with his jumper. Jason kidd and sefolosha improved their 3 point shooting later in their careers, so i will always be a little optimistic.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glepurple View Post
    I think aminu might improve slightly with his jumper. Jason kidd and sefolosha improved their 3 point shooting later in their careers, so i will always be a little optimistic.
    Those guys at least had something to build off of. Aminu is just a horrible jump shot shooter.

Bledsoe is a must! Dell get it done! Christmas Present for all fans!

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Those guys at least had something to build off of. Aminu is just a horrible jump shot shooter.
    They also didn't have the athleticism to rely on.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    To put Aminu as a reserve would be a tragedy. He is most efficient players in basketball since his return to the starting line-up. He has been averaging 69% from the field of late and has the highest defensive rebound rate in the league. It's the combo of him and Davis that shuts other teams down. He's 22 noiw, by 25 he will be a top teir player IMO
    I agree, Aminu has made great strides this season and is still very young. He's an asset.

Maybe you are right but i think if he changes his release point he could improve some...i don't think he has bad form at all. But he could improve his post game some to offset his jumper some. But i think with some hard work he can at least become a slightly better three point shooter... His mid range jumper will probably slways be worthless.

Re: Bledsoe is a must! Dell get it done! Christmas Present for all fans!

You mentioned that Vasquez is probably not a championship caliber starting point (I happen to agree). I would like to see reasons why you think that and look into if he would be able to reasonably correct those deficiencies himself. If we need to replace him, how do we do it? Keep in mind that we would lose some things without Greivs (like rebounding). Can the targetted player bring enough other stuff to the table to make up for it? Or would an easier solution be to replace a different starter to help make up for Vasquez's weaknesses? Same kind of questions can be asked about Aminu and Lopez.

Speaking of Aminu, I would be happy if he was able to develop a jumpshot that is similar in effectiveness to the old style of stretch 4 (more like David West range and less like Ryan Anderson's). He has a long way to get to that point and I haven't seen anything that makes me think he will. Which is a shame cuz the dude is my favorite player on the team.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Vasquez deficiencies-

Lateral quickness on the defensive end
    Inability to score in isolation against big, quick guards
    Inability to create passing lanes because of his lack of speed

Basically, all of Vasquez's liabilities center around foot speed, and that is just not going to change. Now, can he minimize it? Sure. He can go into the post more on offense. You can hide him against the slower of two guards on defense. You can create passing lanes for him by making him the secondary ballhandler, allowing him to penetrate when the defense is trying to recover, as opposed to when it is set.

Those are the remedies. He won't improve much in that area, but the system and personnel could be put in place to support his deficiencies

Quote Originally Posted by glepurple View Post
    Maybe you are right but i think if he changes his release point he could improve some...i don't think he has bad form at all. But he could improve his post game some to offset his jumper some. But i think with some hard work he can at least become a slightly better three point shooter... His mid range jumper will probably slways be worthless.
    Maybe but he would have to drastically change it. He is a tall/athletic guy. There is no reason to throw the ball 20 feet in the air on a 17 foot shot.

I'm not saying that Aminu can become a world class shooter but to say that he can't work on his jumper to make it serviceable is crazy. He's been in the league 3 years is true but he's 23 yrs old. His game technically is still developing. Your prime is around 28 yo. He has more upside than downside. Working with Monty is obviously working

Re: Bledsoe is a must! Dell get it done! Christmas Present for all fans!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    *Vasquez analysis*
    That is the type of stuff I like and would be the basis of a good article on how we can improve the team. Giving options on what can be done with existing resources versus free agency vs trade makes for good reading when discussing what players should be kept or let go.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Vasquez deficiencies-

Lateral quickness on the defensive end
    Inability to score in isolation against big, quick guards
    Inability to create passing lanes because of his lack of speed

Basically, all of Vasquez's liabilities center around foot speed, and that is just not going to change. Now, can he minimize it? Sure. He can go into the post more on offense. You can hide him against the slower of two guards on defense. You can create passing lanes for him by making him the secondary ballhandler, allowing him to penetrate when the defense is trying to recover, as opposed to when it is set.

Those are the remedies. He won't improve much in that area, but the system and personnel could be put in place to support his deficiencies

You shouldn't have to do that for a player, and if it's even a passing thought, a consideration... you need an upgrade. It's one thing to do it for a game, or even on the fly in a series, but you can't build your team around the deficiencies of one average player who has below average physical ability.

"If we upgrade SF, GV is our long term answer", how about we up grade GV and let the 22 year old AFA develop on a cheap 4 year with the other young guys we have, and that goes for other positions.

I see a similiar situation with Vasquez as I did with Jeremy Lin last year.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I see a similiar situation with Vasquez as I did with Jeremy Lin last year.
    I don't think Lin sustained the kind of play Vasuqez has been giving us the length of time he has. Wasn't it like a 13 game span where Lin was insane and then less than stellar afterwards?

I don't think Lin sustained the kind of play Vasuqez has been giving us the length of time he has. Wasn't it like a 13 game span where Lin was insane and then less than stellar afterwards?
    Lin is as much (or more) marketing as he is play imo.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    You shouldn't have to do that for a player, and if it's even a passing thought, a consideration... you need an upgrade. It's one thing to do it for a game, or even on the fly in a series, but you can't build your team around the deficiencies of one average player who has below average physical ability.

"If we upgrade SF, GV is our long term answer", how about we up grade GV and let the 22 year old AFA develop on a cheap 4 year with the other young guys we have, and that goes for other positions.
    In the perfect world yes, you despise "average players" and if they have one or more deficiencies you throw them away.

Plenty of other perfect pgs to choose. Like bledsoe who has so big deficiencies on the offensive part that you should surround him with 4 30+ppg players to make up for it. And a playmaker as well coz he can't distribute the ball. Bah.

Evan though Aminu is in year three, player improvement, at least drastic changes take place in the off season, he has technically only had one off season, last off season he was busy with the Olympics, not much time to spend working on shooting mechanics. That being said he should probably work on that post game and continue to work on the jumper to make it somewhat reliable. It seems that post mechanics are easier to develop, considering the players that spend a summer working with Olajuwon and improve greatly under his tutelage. I know Hakeem is expensive, but maybe he will give Aminu a Nigerian discount.

Oh, and Vasquez is better than Lin, they are both bad defenders, but at least Vasquez is dependable on offense. When our offense lags, he usually elevates his offensive game. Vasquez is a decent stopgap and a competent player, his defense can improve, Bruce Bowen wasn't blessed with amazing speed and quickness and he was a shutdown defender of perimeter players, including some point guards

Lin had gotten so much press that players started taking that match-up personally. I think flying under the radar is what's helping Greivis from getting every opposing PG best shot every night.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Lin had gotten so much press that players started taking that match-up personally. I think flying under the radar is what's helping Greivis from getting every opposing PG best shot every night.
    I agree, and I think that why people realize Vasquez won't be as dominant when teams prepare for him in a 7 game series. It's bad when our entire offense depends on Vasquez because he can easily be shut down. It's a scary thought.

EDIT:

Also, if I had to pick one position where I think I can live with an average player it would be Center. The league is transitioning from having true Centers, so if by chance we have an average one (Lopez). I can live with that. Being average at the PG positions scares me if we really want to win a championship.
    Last edited by Inner_GI; 01-25-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundless1 View Post
    I know Hakeem is expensive, but maybe he will give Aminu a Nigerian discount.
    That gave me a good chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    I agree, and I think that why people realize Vasquez won't be as dominant when teams prepare for him in a 7 game series. It's bad when our entire offense depends on Vasquez because he can easily be shut down. It's a scary thought.

EDIT:

Also, if I had to pick one position where I think I can live with an average player it would be Center. The league is transitioning from having true Centers, so if by chance we have an average one (Lopez). I can live with that. Being average at the PG positions scares me if we really want to win a championship.
    Who on the Hornets would be dominant in the playoffs? Do you think that preparing for a 7 game series will stop with Vasquez? Will Anderson have all those open 3's? Will Gordon get in the lane at will? Unless you have a transcendent player (Kobe, LBJ, Durant), everyone's game will be affected in some fashion. How we deal with it will be key.

Thread Information