Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Bledsoe is a must! Dell get it done! Christmas Present for all fans!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Speaking of stud SFs, what ever happened to Tony Mitchell? Hardly hear his name mentioned anymore. He having a lackluster season?

Quote Originally Posted by Ur_Gmas_Daughtr View Post
    Wow Clippers announcers still calling Jason Smith a thug....it's been a year
    Why are they even talking about Smith? Are we coming up on their schedule or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Speaking of stud SFs, what ever happened to Tony Mitchell? Hardly hear his name mentioned anymore. He having a lackluster season?
    Hasn't taken the next step. Plays with little to no energy on most nights. Has no true NBA position. I personally dont think he is a lotto pick.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Why are they even talking about Smith? Are we coming up on their schedule or something?
    Caron Butler fouled Dragic hard, the refs were discussing if it was flagrant 1 or 2 and during the replay the Clips anpuncers said "no way that was flagrant two it was nothing like the number Jason Smith did on Blake" (paraphrasing)

Quote Originally Posted by Ur_Gmas_Daughtr View Post
    Caron Butler fouled Dragic hard, the refs were discussing if it was flagrant 1 or 2 and during the replay the Clips anpuncers said "no way that was flagrant two it was nothing like the number Jason Smith did on Blake" (paraphrasing)
    Oh, okay. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I'd take Granger. Never been a fan of moving Gordon for him but I wouldn't turn him down for Greivis.
    To put Aminu as a reserve would be a tragedy. He is most efficient players in basketball since his return to the starting line-up. He has been averaging 69% from the field of late and has the highest defensive rebound rate in the league. It's the combo of him and Davis that shuts other teams down. He's 22 noiw, by 25 he will be a top teir player IMO

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    To put Aminu as a reserve would be a tragedy. He is most efficient players in basketball since his return to the starting line-up. He has been averaging 69% from the field of late and has the highest defensive rebound rate in the league. It's the combo of him and Davis that shuts other teams down. He's 22 noiw, by 25 he will be a top teir player IMO
    Teams get to play 4 on 5 on offense vs us and sag off Aminu. It limits Gordon's effectiveness. So the conventional wisdom is a more offensive oriented 3, Aminu as the 6th man defensive stopper. Or we replace Vasquez as a starter for a PG like Jennings. Bottom line is we'd like more offense from our starters, but I say we NEED more defense from our bench. We have no defenders coming off the bench right now. None.

Aminu has hit 17 shots outside the paint al year.

He is not going to get better at this, at least not to the point where he isnt still a huge liability. I know we all want to root for him and we all think our own players are going to take these huge leaps forward, but the sooner we accept Aminu for who he is, the quicker we can appreciate him, as opposed to dreaming of the player he could (but won't) be.

You can't have a guy like Aminu on the floor for extended minutes when you reach the later rounds of the playoffs. He would be a great 20-25 minute guy on a great team, and is fine as a starter for now while the expectations are relatively low, but long term we need another answer at SF or at least an offensively capable guy to share the load.

You're wasting your time with FCP. He has some unhealthy obsession with length and athleticism. I guess it could be worse, he could be one of those people that think being from New Orleans is a basketball skill.

I often wonder if it is better to let the dreamers dream or to inform them with some harsh realities so they can lower their expectations and therefore not be so disappointed. It is an everyday conflict to be honest.

I remember going into the Denver series that I actually thought we could beat them since we were more healthy at that point then we had been the majority of the 2nd half of the season. But then I was crushed and the 58 point loss took the life out of me.

Would I have been better off with lower expectations? The high before the series or after we won a game to get back to 2-1 wouldnt have been as good, but the low wouldnt have been nearly that bad.

Sometimes I consider just not writing the bad, fluffing up the good, and letting the dreamers dream. Which is more harmful?

Re: Bledsoe is a must! Dell get it done! Christmas Present for all fans!

Being a Negative Nancy is not enjoyable for anyone. Point out the positives and the areas that need to improve (as well as the likelie-hood of the improvement happening). Discussing what steps can be taken to improve something is much more productive and thought-provoking than just saying someone sucks.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Wow you guys got me thinking.

Jennings/Rivers
    Gordon/Mason
    Granger/Aminu
    Davis/Anderson
    Lopez/Smith

Would be pretty friggin nasty for the first year Pelicans. Wow.

I'm still on the Smart/Burke via draft train though. Did you SEE Burke last night? He's gonna be a star. That kind of kills the GV/Granger thing unless they want to roll with a Rivers/Burke rotation at PG which is scary (but perhaps could work).

But Burke/GV and snagging Iggy could defiantly work.

GV/Burke
    Gordon/Rivers
    Iggy/Animu
    Davis/Anderson
    Lopez/Smith

So many possibilities...
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Being a Negative Nancy is not enjoyable for anyone. Point out the positives and the areas that need to improve (as well as the likelie-hood of the improvement happening). Discussing what steps can be taken to improve something is much more productive and thought-provoking than just saying someone sucks.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Agree to disagree. I'm built to give and receive it as honestly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Wow you guys got me thinking.

Jennings/Rivers
    Gordon/Mason
    Granger/Aminu
    Davis/Anderson
    Lopez/Smith

Would be pretty friggin nasty for the first year Pelicans. Wow.

I'm still on the Smart/Burke via draft train though. Did you SEE Burke last night? He's gonna be a star. That kind of kills the GV/Granger thing unless they want to roll with a Rivers/Burke rotation at PG which is scary (but perhaps could work).

But Burke/GV and snagging Iggy could defiantly work.

GV/Burke
    Gordon/Rivers
    Iggy/Animu
    Davis/Anderson
    Lopez/Smith

So many possibilities...
    I've been on the Burke train for a very long time and he's just a So. I'm sorry the way he controls that team is very CP3ish. The fact that he's been slept on his whole career despite his accolades is amazing. The fact that he still ends up at the cream of the crop speaks volume. I want that young man on this team.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 01-25-2013 at 03:35 PM.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I've been on the Burke's train for a very long time and he's just a SO. I'm sorry the way he controls that team is very CP3ish. That fact that he's been slept on his whole career despite his accolades is amazing. The fact that he still ends up at the cream of the crop speaks volume. I want that young man on this team.
    You and I sir are in agreement 100% for once. Depending on team needs I think he'll be the first PG taken. I think whoever takes Smart will take him as a SG.

Sometimes I consider just not writing the bad, fluffing up the good, and letting the dreamers dream. Which is more harmful?
    Pointing out problems is necessary, especially if y'all are doing it in an X and O's way or talking about why these guys fit and these guys don't. But fans don't need to get a reality check, people usually fan up to escape reality. There also is a difference between constructive criticism "Gordon may never play more than 50-65 games a year, can you contend with a star like that?" and obsessing over the worst case scenario "Mr. Coon, we have a star player that never plays, what kind of trade value do you think a player that never ever plays and probably won't ever play again has?"

Yeah- constructive criticism and "being negative" is such a thin line and honestly some fans perceive the same exact statements as one of those and other fans perceive it as the other.

For instance, if my observations of Eric Gordon lead me to believe he is an will be more Joe Johnson than Paul Pierce or Wade as far as being a closer, is that being negative or constructive?

Gerry V and I both agree that Vasquez has plenty of fine attributes, but he is not a starting PG for a championship caliber team. Constructive or negative? My feelings about Aminu- constructive or negative?

It's so hard, but in the end, I will just be true to my personal observations and let the chips fall where they may

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Do you think Aminu's Olympic experience hurt his work during the offseason?

I was thinking he may have not gotten in the developmental work that he needed since he devoted so much time to the Nigerian team.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I've been on the Burke's train for a very long time and he's just a SO. I'm sorry the way he controls that team is very CP3ish. That fact that he's been slept on his whole career despite his accolades is amazing. The fact that he still ends up at the cream of the crop speaks volume. I want that young man on this team.
    Don't often agree with you. But when I do, it's 100%. Love his game. Has all the tools. Can pass, can really shoot, good athlete. Total package.

Between him, McLemore, Anthony Bennett. Hope we can snag one of them.

Bledsoe is a must! Dell get it done! Christmas Present for all fans!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Aminu has hit 17 shots outside the paint al year.

He is not going to get better at this, at least not to the point where he isnt still a huge liability. I know we all want to root for him and we all think our own players are going to take these huge leaps forward, but the sooner we accept Aminu for who he is, the quicker we can appreciate him, as opposed to dreaming of the player he could (but won't) be.

You can't have a guy like Aminu on the floor for extended minutes when you reach the later rounds of the playoffs. He would be a great 20-25 minute guy on a great team, and is fine as a starter for now while the expectations are relatively low, but long term we need another answer at SF or at least an offensively capable guy to share the load.
    I completely agree with this, but I also think some team will take a risk on this guy and offer at least a 5-6 mill per year deal which is way to rich for my blood with him.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I often wonder if it is better to let the dreamers dream or to inform them with some harsh realities so they can lower their expectations and therefore not be so disappointed. It is an everyday conflict to be honest.

I remember going into the Denver series that I actually thought we could beat them since we were more healthy at that point then we had been the majority of the 2nd half of the season. But then I was crushed and the 58 point loss took the life out of me.

Would I have been better off with lower expectations? The high before the series or after we won a game to get back to 2-1 wouldnt have been as good, but the low wouldnt have been nearly that bad.

Good stuff here. As a reader, I always want the truth or at least perceived truth from a writer.I dont have to be right on everything, but also don't dismiss the other side's points as if they're nothing. There are truths to both sides of the coin, and often on message boards people forget that, trying to force their opinion on others (not saying this is you, just talking in general). I honestly think you've toned down some abrasiveness that you had in the past, which has made me a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I completely agree with this, but I also think some team will take a risk on this guy and offer at least a 5-6 mill per year deal which is way to rich for my blood with him.
    Schwan has tracked free agency tendencies and points per game = $$$ in free agency. Guys like Aminu dont typically get paid unless they stepped up big in free agency during a title run (Posey and Ariza)

I always point to Tony Allen. I would be beyond shocked if Aminu got 5-6 million per year. Just can't see it

Lot's of fans have thin skin and are overly defensive, not much you can do about that. People post on message boards to measure their opinion, but they read articles and listen to podcasts seeking the information they form their opinions with. When writing or recording you should care about what we know, not what we think.

Aminu has been showing some pretty nice post-moves. Would anyone's opinion change if he added that to his game?

I mean he posted of KG against Boston and recently has shown some good touch around the basket moving across the lane.

^True dat; Aminu's really been more aggressive going to the basket lately and showing nice post moves. And I guess for me personally, I see these players as people , people with personalities and internal thoughts, drives, motivations. Some fans and fan-writers seem to leave this human element out of the equation while keying in on the stats and past trends as the be-all-end-all. Have players ever improved parts of their games in the game of basketball? Yes, surely they have. Especially when we're talking about players that are in their young 20's. Take Tyson Chandler for example. Early in his career he didn't show much offensive skill, people were saying he would never develop any offensive game, limiting him to a situational defensive shot-blocker role-player. Over the years, he worked on the offensive part of his game with the help of good point-guards and now is a double-digit scorer all-star and starter for one of the top team's in the league. And former Defensive Player of the Year because he made sure to continue to focus on what he naturally excelled at while improving his weaker spots in his game. People change, people develop. Basketball players are people, too.

Thread Information