Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Gordon rejoins Hornets Saturday/Interesting read on EG injury page 3 {merged}

Gordon rejoins Hornets Saturday/Interesting read on EG injury page 3 {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    Stephen Howard. Isn't that the guy who does all the pre half and post games of FSNO?
    Yes. And he blows

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Yes. And he blows
    Ya he seemed to, I usually skip it. I just happened to record the one before the LAC game just to catch the interview with EG
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Quote Originally Posted by MyLanta View Post
    Seems my buddy saw EG shopping for a house across the street from him today in Belle Chasse. Huge place 3500 sq feet. That's a good sign.
    lol buying a house in belle chasse will make him hate NOLA even more .

Needs to live in warehouse district / CBD like Chris Paul did
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

Maybe english turn but not belle chasse

nope, belle chasse. i'm not gonna disclose an address but it was him and that's where it was.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    lol buying a house in belle chasse will make him hate NOLA even more .

Needs to live in warehouse district / CBD like Chris Paul did
    Maybe he just want the be left the hell alone. Seems to be to himself. Chris Paul was the exact opposite.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Re: Gordon rejoins Hornets Saturday/Interesting read on EG injury page 3 {merged}

there are a couple of "English Turn-esque" subdivisions right over the Orleans/Plaq line...prob somewhere in that area.

Sent from my MB611 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MyLanta View Post
    nope, belle chasse. i'm not gonna disclose an address but it was him and that's where it was.
    There are some very nice homes in Belle Chasse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Worry not. Might not matter even if he does come back super hot.
    My thoughts exactly. I never want the team to lose, but we have the face the brutal truth this year. A fully healthy, back-in-playing shape EG might put the Hornets over the top in a couple of tight ones, but there are too many holes for him to transform it completely. Maybe Gordon helps the Hornets edge Cleveland and Washington in the final standings, but that will still have us all glued to our TVs when those ping ping balls are tumbling.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I guess its really no biggie in the grand scheme of things, but why in the world would you make a statement like this?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I never want the team to lose, but we have the face the brutal truth this year. A fully healthy, back-in-playing shape EG might put the Hornets over the top in a couple of tight ones, but there are too many holes for him to transform it completely. Maybe Gordon helps the Hornets edge Cleveland and Washington in the final standings, but that will still have us all glued to our TVs when those ping ping balls are tumbling.

I keep hearing this argument that Gordon himself won't solve all of the Hornets' problems. And there's definitely truth to that. But good players are very good at hiding holes on a team. The entire dynamic of the team will change if Eric Gordon comes back and is healthy/good on a consistent basis. Now a player like Rivers, who is a questionable starter, can get minutes from the bench, which may help him. Now he can watch EG in practice and learn how to get to the hoop better. Now we don't have to worry as much about guard penetration past our slow guards, which leads to countless 3 pointers. Now we don't have stretches like tonight in the 3rd quarter, where we went several minutes without a basket or even a good look. Now Anthony Davis learns what it's like to benefit from a player who can drive past defenders and kick. Now Monty has someone he trusts on offense and doesn't have to throw rotations at a wall to see if it sticks.

In a game where only 5 players are on the court, one player can change everything. I'm not saying Gordon will help us make a historic late push, but I do think that the team improves vastly from his mere presence.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I guess its really no biggie in the grand scheme of things, but why in the world would you make a statement like this?
    Before I respond I want to know why this angers you?

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Before I respond I want to know why this angers you?
    ok, I will answer your question with a statement as I had expected you to do....I am not angry, but just quite surprised when I saw you respond like that....your turn now....

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I keep hearing this argument that Gordon himself won't solve all of the Hornets' problems. And there's definitely truth to that. But good players are very good at hiding holes on a team. The entire dynamic of the team will change if Eric Gordon comes back and is healthy/good on a consistent basis. Now a player like Rivers, who is a questionable starter, can get minutes from the bench, which may help him. Now he can watch EG in practice and learn how to get to the hoop better. Now we don't have to worry as much about guard penetration past our slow guards, which leads to countless 3 pointers. Now we don't have stretches like tonight in the 3rd quarter, where we went several minutes without a basket or even a good look. Now Anthony Davis learns what it's like to benefit from a player who can drive past defenders and kick. Now Monty has someone he trusts on offense and doesn't have to throw rotations at a wall to see if it sticks.

In a game where only 5 players are on the court, one player can change everything. I'm not saying Gordon will help us make a historic late push, but I do think that the team improves vastly from his mere presence.
    The only time one player can make that kind of difference (turning a bad team into a playoff contender) is when he is a top 10 (maybe top 5) talent in the league. The type of centers the NBA had 20 years ago (Shaq, D-Rob, Hakeem) were those type of players. Their presence changed the way the opponent attacked the basket and they each drew the kind of attention on offense which immediately gave more good looks from the rest of the team.

Can EG make that kind of difference on both ends of the court night after night? He's good, but not that good. He'll make the O much more efficient once he gets his game legs back, which might take a few games, but I don't see him helping the rebounding and defensive deficiencies enough to turn this into a .500 team.

well said.

The only time one player can make that kind of difference (turning a bad team into a playoff contender) is when he is a top 10 (maybe top 5) talent in the league. The type of centers the NBA had 20 years ago (Shaq, D-Rob, Hakeem) were those type of players. Their presence changed the way the opponent attacked the basket and they each drew the kind of attention on offense which immediately gave more good looks from the rest of the team.

Can EG make that kind of difference on both ends of the court night after night? He's good, but not that good. He'll make the O much more efficient once he gets his game legs back, which might take a few games, but I don't see him helping the rebounding and defensive deficiencies enough to turn this into a .500 team.
    Rebounding may still be a problem. But I think most if not all of our defensive problems start at the guard spot. We're too slow to guard penetration, which leads to open looks either down low or out at the 3 because people rotate to stop the ballhandler. Vasquez, Rivers, Mason, and Roberts are terrible at keeping their man in front of them, and what little I've seen of Gordon shows he can front his man. I think with Gordon guarding the quicker guards and Vasquez checking 2 guards, it may be easier for the defense to hold tight and not have to break down every play because the PG is in the paint.

Teams will probably still be able to attack us inside, but we should fare much better on 3 point defense, which has been abysmal thus far.

He's definitely going to give all of our players easier looks at the bucket.

Lebron?

This is true esp when a team is designed around said played. As I posted above, the Cavs were built around Lebron's abilities. They had a PG that could shoot the 3, who wasn't a ball handler or an offense initiator; a 2 that was primarily a defender and could hit a 3; a Stretch 4; and a hustle 5. W Lebron it was great because he could draw the defense to get them good shots.

This can be somewhat true for us, esp since we plan on letting gordon initiate and run a lot of offense, as well as cover some of the better offensive players on the opposing team. You take the engine (the dynamic playmaker) out of the car and you just have a bunch of spare parts. AD is clearly not ready (to n fault of him) to be able to do this yet.

Cleveland was a .450 team when Lebron didn't play in his seven seasons there. The Bulls are a .600+ team without the guy their whole team is built around. The Lakers are a .604 team without Kobe.

We can keep thinking that we are a .185 win team without Gordon and a .500-.600 team with him, but that would be almost unprecedented
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 12-23-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    @mcnamara247

I think we are a .350 win team with Gordon, this team is still young
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Cleveland was a .450 team when Lebron didn't play in his seven seasons there. The Bulls are a .600+ team without the guy their whole team is built around. The Lakers are a .604 team without Kobe.

We can keep thinking that we are a .185 win team without Gordon and a .500-.600 team with him, but that would be almost unprecedented

Neither team could say their next most (or just most) talented player was 19 either.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    Eric "Pudding" Gordon
    That's right, this thread needs moar PUDDI

I was mad at Gordon for maybe a few weeks...But in reality, I don't blame the dude for rehabbing. I mean of all things that he needs, it's his knees. We let him get strong and we can fire up the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

"On the court, the 2010–11 season was a stark contrast from the previous season. They went from 61 wins in 2009-10 to just 19, the biggest single-season drop in NBA history. The Cavaliers were also the conference
    worst. This season also saw the Cavs lose 63, including losing 26 games in a row, which set an NBA record."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clevela...les_and_Infamy

I for one have said we may be a .500 team at best with Gordon returning. Keep on trying.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 12-23-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Thread Information