Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: NBA files for trademarks for the Hornets and the names are...

At this point I'd just like to know whats so difficult about Krewe or Brass. They are the most popular two names and sure to sell merch like hot cakes.

It can't be just money.

Oh.My Word....is this Benson's way of saying that he hates New Orleans and basketball? I guess the namesNew Orleans Scratchy foots and toothpick chewers were taken right?

After Pelicans, I actually like Mosquitos the best. It shortens easily for the two syllable rule, moves laterally from one stinging insect to another, and they have killed by far more people than even the deadliest, uh, lake. Or bobcat, wolf, etc. Seriously, malaria is fearsome. Swamp dogs and Bullsharks would obviously be shortened to the Dogs or Sharks. All I can picture is a cartoon shark/dog dribbling a basketball down the court, a la Toronto. That just makes me cringe. Rougarou is just too out there. We would just be called Roo, or the Roos. Our mascot could be Winney the Pooh with a bowl of honey. I don't know though, it has room to work at least, unlike the Dogs or Sharks.

I've always heard loup garou more than rougarou.

But when I saw this thread, my first thought was this guy, who scared the crap out of me when I was a little kid and visited the zoo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	115113219_f9fea8d0c9.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	4534

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...?f=6&t=1220876

Rougarou is getting a lot more love than Pelicans did.

It's growing on me very quickly as well. I really hope it gets some consideration. I could see some cool designs coming from the name Rougarou.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Really... Now Pelicans sounds better when it was a horrible name from the start. Who the hell is the creative person on this team?

rougarou aint nothin' to mess wit chea'

Support Louisiana businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The book I read where I learned of it said loup-garou too.
    Loup Garou and Rougarou are the same thing as far as i know.
    Its a regional thing. Like depending on what swamp area you are in it varies from loup to rou.

Both mean the same. As far as i know.

ROLLIN WIT DA ROU!!!

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Could bring back that Arsenio Hall thing, the hooting/barking thing?

ROU ROU ROU ROU ROU ROU ROU!

ROU DAT!

Clearly Rougarou

Eman.... you just hit gold with Rou Dat! I'm IN!

skeeters it is, I guess?
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Man I don't really want the Rougarou no more. I wore off me in like a hour lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

NBA files for trademarks for the Hornets and the names are...

We could get master p to say rougarou like hoody hoo... ROUGAROU that's tha call for tha killas

I love this right here....The Louisiana Swamp Dogs!!! It has an old-school vibe to it.

Can't do Rougarou fellas... if y'all thought we'd get laughed at from being the Pelicans...

Gimme Swamp Dogs it gives us some street cred (with "Dogs" in the name).

Rougarou > Pelicans

Infinitely more fearsome than fish-birds.
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Can't do Rougarou fellas... if y'all thought we'd get laughed at from being the Pelicans...

Gimme Swamp Dogs it gives us some street cred (with "Dogs" in the name).
    It sounds like a made up word like knickerbockers. How can they make fun of us?

Good abbreviation would be "The Roux" "Go Roux Go" a good Gumbo starts with a good "Roux". There would be a lot of good local marketing that could go along with Rougarou. Only problem is the swamp monster may scare the Kiddo's which might not attract families to the game. Just a few thoughts I wanted to throw out.

About the ownership: Shinn's name is all over many Hornets things. Benson owns the team, and not everything in every nook and cranny of ownership has been updated. It will be, except for company names maybe.

About Trademarks: In an article from 12/9, some of this and more was addressed. http://www.hornets247.com/2012/12/09...h-of-progress/ The short of it is that you don't actually have to file for the trademark to have trademark protection. The Thunder's brand wasn't approved by the time they announced everything and some Nets stuff wasn't even FILED when they revealed it, started using it. Using it in commerce in a legal way confers the protection. Registering gives extra protection.

This could be a red herring, in which case it's useless, or it's Pelicans, which we thought we already knew. At least that's my take.

We should be the New Orleans Golden Eagles, for this video alone:

I'm going to hope, pray, and use goat blood and chicken feathers on red herring.

Good lawd the Bensons have dropped the ball on this rename if true.... Plz lets just go with Pelicans if they feel the need to name the something bayou related.

I'm also shaking my fist at the Voodoo for not selling

Could they have sent in some names already or possibly be preparing to send in more because the yahoo article stated Brass and Krewe were considered yet they're absent from this mainly Swamp/Gulf related list
    Last edited by LuckySunday; 12-19-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Swamp Dogs was my 1B choice behind VooDoo... when he was looking for a name for the AFL team (it was a finalist)... and I think it'd be perfect there... but for whatever reason I'm not feeling it as a NBA team name

I don't want to go anywhere near Mosquitos (I'm slapping at my arms and legs just thinking about it)

Bullsharks... I'm really looking for the connection to NOLA... don't see how Benson would pick that

the Rougarou comments here have me rolling... I can get behind it... and like Pelicans... I want to see the logo to be completely sold on it

but as it is... I'll like the team no matter what it's called
    Last edited by rt0307; 12-19-2012 at 01:03 AM.
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Thread Information