Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: NBA files for trademarks for the Hornets and the names are...

"Tonight, in Madison Square Garden, the mysterious swamp creature faces off against the underwear!"

I love it. Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Which article said this?
    Check Nola.com on hornets news and look for Jimmy smiths article. I **** you not.

I think we need a another poll with these 5 names.
    Anyone know how to start one?

"....Hornets don't mean anything". ___Tom Benson
    Now correct me if I'm wrong.... But it doesn't mean that Benson hates the name but...it doesn't have any significance to New Orleans.....right?

Cause I don't think he just HATES the name.... Maybe I'm wrong though...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    The article said Benson sent five names to the NBA and the end name is ultimately there descision. That doesnt sound good.
    Stern himself said that "Whatever name they choose is fine with me." So I don't about that dude.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Check Nola.com on hornets news and look for Jimmy smiths article. I **** you not.
    Thank you. Let me say though that would be very dumb. The league hasn't named any other team so I don't know why they'd have THAT MUCH say so in what Benson names his team.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    Stern himself said that "Whatever name they choose is fine with me." So I don't about that dude.
    I know it just said benson deferred. It may just be misinformation but its not like Jimmy smith Isnt an established writer

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The NBA has to sign off on it, they have final veto on the name. But I really don't think they can actively choose the name.

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansBBall View Post
    Now correct me if I'm wrong.... But it doesn't mean that Benson hates the name but...it doesn't have any significance to New Orleans.....right?

Cause I don't think he just HATES the name.... Maybe I'm wrong though...
    I don't think Benson ever said he hated the name, just that he wants something more New Orleans/Louisiana. And when he said Hornets don't mean anything I think he meant in reference to New Orleans/Louisiana.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/team/135...-defer-to.html

Jimmy Smith article. I read it as, we have filed for the pelicans and it's up to the nba to decide if they approve.

I don't think Benson ever said he hated the name, just that he wants something more New Orleans/Louisiana. And when he said Hornets don't mean anything I think he meant in reference to New Orleans/Louisiana.
    Thank u. I think I read on here someone saying Benson hated the name....hence the name change.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Too bad other fans would call us the kangaroos
    Wherehappens.

Thank you. Let me say though that would be very dumb. The league hasn't named any other team so I don't know why they'd have THAT MUCH say so in what Benson names his team.
    Lol well Stern babysat the hornets for a year so it wouldnt surprise me. But yeah i think its dumb.

"If it works for them, it works for me," Stern said. "I don't have any objections to anything that the Hornets want to do name-wise because I'm sure it'll be sensible. … I'm sure whatever it is, it'll be good. If (Pelicans) is what it is, that's fine. … I think everything sounds good. I think Lakers, have you seen any lakes in Los Angeles? There's the same amount of lakes in L.A. as there is jazz in Utah, or grizzlies in Memphis. I'm out of that business. Whatever works for a team works for me."
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...stern/1749585/

He babysat the team when they were the leagues' team. They're Benson's team now.

Haha I love the Rougarou. How about just Roux though? Our mascot could still be the rougarou and people would think of gumbo too so, good double meaning. The "-ux" is recognizable nationally. I've always been a fan of "Crescent City ____" too.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    The article said Benson sent five names to the NBA and the end name is ultimately there descision. That doesnt sound good.
    Approval of a name is ultimately up to them, sure. They're not the one who chooses which name.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...stern/1749585/

He babysat the team when they were the leagues' team. They're Benson's team now.
    Indeed. Well Jimmy Smith is either clowning us or hes giving us a lifeline. We'll see soon enough... Rougarou sadly is not very likely if this is true

Anyone else here call it a "Loup Garou?" And I always thought of Loup Garou like a swamp-boogeyman rather than a straight-up werewolf. I'd never even heard of "Rougarou" until I saw that silly Cajun Justice episode a few months ago.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

Maybe they'll reject all 5 and tell the old man to try again. Or please us all and choose Rougarou...the Rou. Let this little ploy backfire. I'm down.

The Franchise
    Why wasn't the "Alligators" ever thrown in as a possible name? I mean that sounds way better than anything I've seen so far. IMO

Which article said this?
    The NBA board of governors has to approve any name change. They have a brand to protect and can't let some mindless owner call an NBA team the "pink belly monkeys" because their daughter likes it.

The Franchise
    By the way those five names are ALL horrible and if it's the best Benson and his price marketing department could come with then we're doomed. Marketing is a BIG part of a successful franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The NBA board of governors has to approve any name change. They have a brand to protect and can't let some mindless owner call an NBA team the "pink belly monkeys" because their daughter likes it.
    I know they have to approve it but I didn't see it stated in the original posts' link that Benson 'deferred'.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadmoor74 View Post
    Anyone else here call it a "Loup Garou?" And I always thought of Loup Garou like a swamp-boogeyman rather than a straight-up werewolf. I'd never even heard of "Rougarou" until I saw that silly Cajun Justice episode a few months ago.
    Apparently Loup Garou is the original french version and Rougarou is the cajun version. I have always heard Loup Garou too

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The book I read where I learned of it said loup-garou too.

Thread Information