.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: If we miss out on top FAs of 2013, then...

  1. #1

    Stuff If we miss out on top FAs of 2013, then...

    Do you think we'll save that cap room for a bigger prize in 2014?
    It's a completely fantastical idea, and almost 100% not going to happen, but would the team save themselves for... LeBron James?

    My reasoning before you try to kill me: Davis will be ready to be an All-Star, maybe an All-NBA player, going into his 3rd season. Rivers will have progressed. Gordon might be healthy and entering his prime. Anderson will be Anderson. We'll have room to offer him a max contract. It's not entirely impossible. So, would you rather overpay for mediocre players or try to go all in for LeBron after he's won (at least) one ring? We'll likely miss out, but it's an idea. Probably not one worth pursuing, but hey, crazier things have happened right?

    Please don't kill me.

  2. #2
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Leto View Post
    Do you think we'll save that cap room for a bigger prize in 2014?
    It's a completely fantastical idea, and almost 100% not going to happen, but would the team save themselves for... LeBron James?

    My reasoning before you try to kill me: Davis will be ready to be an All-Star, maybe an All-NBA player, going into his 3rd season. Rivers will have progressed. Gordon might be healthy and entering his prime. Anderson will be Anderson. We'll have room to offer him a max contract. It's not entirely impossible. So, would you rather overpay for mediocre players or try to go all in for LeBron after he's won (at least) one ring? We'll likely miss out, but it's an idea. Probably not one worth pursuing, but hey, crazier things have happened right?

    Please don't kill me.
    LeBron is a bad example. I know it'd be nice to believe he'd come here but I'd say the chances are slim to none. I the base argument is: Do you pay a lot for a supreme talent or get a bunch or really good guys? I think you get the talent.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    LeBron is a bad example. I know it'd be nice to believe he'd come here but I'd say the chances are slim to none. I the base argument is: Do you pay a lot for a supreme talent or get a bunch or really good guys? I think you get the talent.
    Yes, essentially the argument I'm making. It's not smart nor ideal for a small market team to just pack in a bunch of mid-level contracts, making moves just to make moves. Plus that would kill future flexibility in re-signing Davis and Rivers.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer Emilio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Leto View Post
    So, would you rather overpay for mediocre players or try to go all in for LeBron after he's won (at least) one ring? We'll likely miss out, but it's an idea.

    Please don't kill me.
    Why are those the only options? Don't you think we are capable of signing talented players to reasonable contracts?

  5. #5
    LeBron has an early termination option (basically a player option), so he isn't a true FA. I can't see him opting out early after the big 3 went through all that trouble and then won a championship.

    I think the main question you are asking is that, if Demps were to miss out on his big targets this off season, do we settle for 2 lesser players with that money? Or do we save the money for next year? I would say, with out hesitation, that Demps is a long-term thinker, and as such, he'll sit on that money until 2014 and make a play for whoever he like in that group. Demps won't settle for scraps, I don't believe. Especially this early in a rebuilding effort.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    Why are those the only options? Don't you think we are capable of signing talented players to reasonable contracts?
    I base it off of a feeling that the front office wants to bring in another elite, max-level player. And, I'm not completely sure we are capable of signing talented players to reasonable contracts. The popular trend now is for players to take less money to immediately compete for championships in big markets. However, that only really occurred with young(ish) players as the Heat formed their big 3, other than them, the veterans are the ones taking less. I don't know, it was just an idea that popped up.

  7. #7
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,620
    It all makes sense but it just won't happen. We don't have the history of winning for LeBron to leave Miami. He might not even be a free agent in 2014. He might just end up taking the player options that he has for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016.

    If we do miss out on the 2013 FAs then I'd rather not spend our money unwisely as we could easily go after someone like Kyle Lowry, Danny Granger, Luol Deng, or even Marcin Gortat. Those guys are all UFA in 2014. Also there's some good RFA like Paul George, Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, and a few more. Also Rudy Gay has a player option he might not take if he feels he can get more money. A lot of options for 2014. I'd rather wait for this than overpay for Chase Budinger to try to be the answer to our problems. LeBron I just think is being unrealistic and we should focus our attention elsewhere.

  8. #8

    If we miss out on top FAs of 2013, then...

    Evan turner is balling out this year. I would love him at sf

    #QUAILS MOM

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Evan turner is balling out this year. I would love him at sf
    That's something I could definitely work with

  10. #10
    Hornets fan from NJ! Vinny6420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,859
    I think Turner would be a good option for us
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks


    RIP HunnyB

    This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •