Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hornets new name

Hornets new name

Now really, Pelicans??? Can't you people draft a petition letter to Benson and suggest a better name for our team which shouldn't be that hard seeing that Pelicans is one of the very worst. Lets all agree on a real name one that relates to the great culture of New Orleans and get thousands of signatures and mail to Benson ASAP. We need to nip this silly Pelican in the bud before its too late. OR ELSE we'll be saying New Orleans Pelicans for years to come and cringing every single time!!! Someone, many pleaseeeee help the cause!!!!! Thanks--

All agree?

Let's try.

Voodoo.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Where do i sign?

We will never agree on everything. But I do agree with 42. Voodoo, then Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by optimist View Post
    Now really, Pelicans??? Can't you people draft a petition letter to Benson and suggest a better name for our team which shouldn't be that hard seeing that Pelicans is one of the very worst. Lets all agree on a real name one that relates to the great culture of New Orleans and get thousands of signatures and mail to Benson ASAP. We need to nip this silly Pelican in the bud before its too late. OR ELSE we'll be saying New Orleans Pelicans for years to come and cringing every single time!!! Someone, many pleaseeeee help the cause!!!!! Thanks--
    You should consider changing your username

Can't you people draft a petition letter to Benson and suggest a better name for our team
    So it's "our team" but your fellow fans are "you people" We don't work for you. Go make your own petition.

OR ELSE we'll be saying New Orleans Pelicans for years to come and cringing every single time!!!
    We won't even remember how much so many people hated Pelicans in 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    We won't even remember how much so many people hated Pelicans in 5-10 years.
    That is a long time to wait for people to come around to a name.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    No it's not. The Thunder keep getting brought up and they are a good example of how the name is not the same thing as the identity of the team. Voodoo seems to be the best choice based on name strength, but if the rebuild goes wrong and the Hornets become the next Kings will the name chosen really matter? People get behind a team, not a name. People buy jerseys of their favorite players, not their favorite mascots.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Even if we selected the most awesome name in the world...it'll be noise too in the same amount of time.

Hornets new name

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Even if we selected the most awesome name in the world...it'll be noise too in the same amount of time.
    Like vag assassins?

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Like vag assassins?
    Any name. Especially after you hear it a thousand times. I mean, Gamecocks stopped being funny to me when I was 12.

No it's not. The Thunder keep getting brought up and they are a good example of how the name is not the same thing as the identity of the team. Voodoo seems to be the best choice based on name strength, but if the rebuild goes wrong and the Hornets become the next Kings will the name chosen really matter? People get behind a team, not a name. People buy jerseys of their favorite players, not their favorite mascots.
    Any name. Especially after you hear it a thousand times. I mean, Gamecocks stopped being funny to me when I was 12.
    Yeah maybe 1-2 years but 5-10? That is just a little extreme. It took people to stop "hating" on the thunder name what 1 year? 2 max.

Yeah maybe 1-2 years but 5-10? That is just a little extreme. It took people to stop "hating" on the thunder name what 1 year? 2 max.
    5-10 was just a figure I threw out there, it's not based on a calculation or rule of thumb. The name would have to be embarrassing or offensive to have a significant number of complaints after 1-2 years.

I don't want a name in gonna like in 5-10 years or takes that long for people to get use to it. VooDoo is perfect and is loved now!

5-10 was just a figure I threw out there, it's not based on a calculation or rule of thumb. The name would have to be embarrassing or offensive to have a significant number of complaints after 1-2 years.
    That's what I'm saying in 1-2 years no one will care they will just accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I don't want a name in gonna like in 5-10 years or takes that long for people to get use to it. VooDoo is perfect and is loved now!
    It won't be either. Not gotten used to, not eventually liked, but irrelevant noise.

Maybe I value originality too much, but I can't get behind Vodoo... I don't see how Krewe doesn't have a bigger following.

What a fool!! I need to change my user name because me along with most fans and media have the audacity to want a name that really fits our
    New Orleans team, really!! This is not the Louisiana Hornets so the state bird is quite simply a bad choice. As to Thunder although some didn't like it that name is light years better choice then an awkward bird. The only reason he wants that name is because he owns the naming rights. Hey this guy is a billionaire. I think he can afford something true New Orleans would relate to.

What a fool!! I need to change my user name because me along with most fans and media have the audacity to want a name that really fits our
    New Orleans team, really!! This is not the Louisiana Hornets so the state bird is quite simply a bad choice. As to Thunder although some didn't like it that name is light years better choice then an awkward bird. The only reason he wants that name is because he owns the naming rights. Hey this guy is a billionaire. I think he can afford something true New Orleans would relate to.
    So are you saying New Orleans exists in some Nth dimension that isn't part of Louisiana at all?

Because if you are, the Nth dimension has no emperor. If so, then I nominate and elect myself as Emperor of the New Orleans sector of the Nth dimension.

This is not the Louisiana Hornets so the state bird is quite simply a bad choice.
    I beg to differ, this team represents all who choose to support it. Pelicans isn't THAT bad, though not the best choice I agree

So are you saying New Orleans exists in some Nth dimension that isn't part of Louisiana at all?

Because if you are, the Nth dimension has no emperor. If so, then I nominate and elect myself as Emperor of the New Orleans sector of the Nth dimension.
    Ha! Thank you sir

BOW TO ME!

*ahem*

I mean, you're welcome.

Hornets new name

Noooo. We cant be associated with north Louisiana.

Is it that hard for all of us to agree?

I guess we have to deal with that the billionaire wants.

Good job of bringing everyone together on this critical issue during the giving season, optimist.

I can certainly understand why some don't like Pelicans. Personally, it wasn't my first choice, but I'm starting to get excited about it. I'm trusting that the total package (logo, colors, uniform, etc.) will be something to get excited about.

That being said, there are a lot of reasons not to like it. BUT, the reason being that it doesn't fit New Orleans or the culture is a pretty dumb one.

Thread Information