Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Damian Lillard

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    We can only hope Davis will be better. I hope it's not a Andrew Bogut CP3 type deal. Ugh, how horrible would that be.
    LOL I am probably the biggest Lillard fan loved watching his calm yet fierce style in college. However lets be real now Lillard cant impact the game on defense like a Davis. Davis will end up a much better player for a team.

This coming from someone who though Lillard was a HOF type talent pre draft.

Just like it is wishful thinking to think Lillard will get any better than he is now. Maybe he came so NBA ready and is maxed out. So at best he is a really good PG, but not a All-Star or Superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by ej_23 View Post
    LOL I am probably the biggest Lillard fan loved watching his calm yet fierce style in college. However lets be real now Lillard cant impact the game on defense like a Davis. Davis will end up a much better player for a team.

This coming from someone who though Lillard was a HOF type talent pre draft.

That last sentence, is this a testament to not knowing what you are talking about?

But seriously, I agree. Davis should be the better player. As it is now, Lillard is the better player. I don't think Lillard has hit his roof yet. Seeing as how well he is playing in his rookie year, I can't imagine his progress stopping now. I mean, did Granger, Martin, or West's games plateau after their rookie seasons?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Lillard will win rookie of the year, and Davis will be like Dwight, not winning ROY but having a much better career then okafor.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am just saying that people are acting that he clinched ROY with this great performance when in all actuality this was one of his lesser games
    i dont think ppl think he won the award after one game...but right now he is the clear front runner...and davis has a lot of making up to do...espn has a 5 on 5 article a couple days ago and all 5 said lillard is ROY right now by a landslide

frankly, i am starting to get fed up with the lack of energy that davis is displaying

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Just like it is wishful thinking to think Lillard will get any better than he is now. Maybe he came so NBA ready and is maxed out.
    What makes you think this? Just curious. How do you know that Davis will get much better but Lillard is done growing as a player?

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    What makes you think this? Just curious. How do you know that Davis will get much better but Lillard is done growing as a player?
    It was in reply to "isn't Austin Rivers getting better wishful thinking" and yes maybe it is. I believe Lillard will be great. No reason him and Rivers aren't both Great. To me Rivers has more upside and could be more dominant at the SG position then a position like PG that is NBA loaded. Davis could be done who knows, but I'm not definitely not the only one who doesn't think so.

and before ppl mentiong lillard's lack of defense right now...anthony davis is not playing any defense either...he keeps getting abusing in the paint and keeps leaving his feet on the perimeter

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Getting hyperbolic in here...

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    and before ppl mentiong lillard's lack of defense right now...anthony davis is not playing any defense either...he keeps getting abusing in the paint and keeps leaving his feet on the perimeter
    This is the last I'll say of it, because it really isn't a difficult concept to grasp, but so many on this board are having trouble with it, so here it goes. Anthony. Davis. is. only. 19. years. old. As a result, he has a child's body, so he is getting pushed around by grown men. That won't last long. In college, when he was with people his own age (most were still older, though), he was DOMINATING everyone. He even broke the freshman block record. Shattered it. Even in spite of this, he is still outperforming Lillard.

Lillard. is. 22. years. old. His body is much more mature. As a result, he is able to play well in the NBA from day 1. Nobody is saying he isn't a good player. He is, however, an inefficient chucker who plays no defense and isn't a great passer. That isn't to say he won't be a solid player, but he isn't anywhere near what some are making him out to be. That's why we can't compare Lillard and Rivers right now. Rivers has the body of a teenage boy, and that's because he is supposed to be a sophomore in college right now. I don't get what is so hard to understand about that. Rivers was a project when we drafted him. He is going to take time to develop, but the good news is that he is already making major strides - improved his defense, shooting form, and his floater.

Lillard should be measured on production because he is old. Rivers should be measured on growth this season (same as Davis), because they were both freshmen kids when we drafted them. All rookies are not equal, and that is the mistake that so many on this board are making. I've said my peace.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I mean. Getting overpowered by people bigger than him seems to be a confusing prospect. Like no one ever considered that he wouldn't be invincible immediately. And because he's the #1 pick every single play he gets honed in and scrutinized. I'm not above that one, I'll admit. I'm watching no one else on the floor but him most of the possessions unless Austin Rivers has the rock. But watch anyone that intently and you see all kinds of minor flaws and it all gets exemplified and without levity you might even start to think Davis is overhyped.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    This is the last I'll say of it, because it really isn't a difficult concept to grasp, but so many on this board are having trouble with it, so here it goes. Anthony. Davis. is. only. 19. years. old. As a result, he has a child's body, so he is getting pushed around by grown men. That won't last long. In college, when he was with people his own age (most were still older, though), he was DOMINATING everyone. He even broke the freshman block record. Shattered it. Even in spite of this, he is still outperforming Lillard.

Lillard. is. 22. years. old. His body is much more mature. As a result, he is able to play well in the NBA from day 1. Nobody is saying he isn't a good player. He is, however, an inefficient chucker who plays no defense and isn't a great passer. That isn't to say he won't be a solid player, but he isn't anywhere near what some are making him out to be. That's why we can't compare Lillard and Rivers right now. Rivers has the body of a teenage boy, and that's because he is supposed to be a sophomore in college right now. I don't get what is so hard to understand about that. Rivers was a project when we drafted him. He is going to take time to develop, but the good news is that he is already making major strides - improved his defense, shooting form, and his floater.

Lillard should be measured on production because he is old. Rivers should be measured on growth this season (same as Davis), because they were both freshmen kids when we drafted them. All rookies are not equal, and that is the mistake that so many on this board are making. I've said my peace.
    QFT if Davis was 24 you worry but at 19 no way. Give Davis 3-4 to get physically mature. 24 is really the age where you are done maturing and what not physically so Davis has 5 years for his frame to fill out and grow naturally. Lillard is so physically mature due to his crazy work ethic and workout plus he is older and should be more mature physically.

Well said nolaslim. Lillard looks like Westbrook already and he should, but would he at 19? I remember how skinny a young Aldrige was, and he completely dwarfs Anthony Davis. Give Davis time just like it took Dwight and Aldridge to put on weight. The kid will be a physical dominating presence to deal with on both ends of court as he was in college.

I really would have loved him with AD on here
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Get out of here with your facts and logic!
    Here's your facts and logic (taken from an EPSN fantasy basketball article)

1)If he continues to average 18.8 points, 6.3 assists and 2.3 3s per game, he's going to be the first player to do that as a rookie ever. If you want to get rid of the 3s because they've only been around since Chris Ford knocked down the inaugural long bomb in 1979-80, then there are only three other guys who have ever averaged 18.8 and 6.3 as rookies, and they are Oscar Robertson, Allen Iverson and Damon Stoudemire.

2)The only active point guard to play more than 35 minutes per game with a PER above 17 as a rookie is Paul (Tyreke Evans and Brandon Roy did it, too, but I'm going to go ahead and suggest that they weren't true point guards). Basically, Lillard's success as a rookie guard is in many ways unprecedented

Just to clarify in no way, shape, or form am I saying he should of been taken over Davis, but anyone hating on this guy is insane.
    Last edited by GeauxPelicans; 12-19-2012 at 01:38 PM.

I don't get why people on here are arguing against Lillard. Most of us would of died happy if he fell to the 10th pick even without his rookie performance. I know that was draft night dream. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    I don't get why people on here are arguing against Lillard. Most of us would of died happy if he fell to the 10th pick even without his rookie performance. I know that was draft night dream. lol
    He didn't fall to 10 so I don't know why there's any arguing at all. Just a fun debate though, if you want to call it that.

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post
    Here's your facts and logic (taken from an EPSN fantasy basketball article)

1)If he continues to average 18.8 points, 6.3 assists and 2.3 3s per game, he's going to be the first player to do that as a rookie ever. If you want to get rid of the 3s because they've only been around since Chris Ford knocked down the inaugural long bomb in 1979-80, then there are only three other guys who have ever averaged 18.8 and 6.3 as rookies, and they are Oscar Robertson, Allen Iverson and Damon Stoudemire.

2)The only active point guard to play more than 35 minutes per game with a PER above 17 as a rookie is Paul (Tyreke Evans and Brandon Roy did it, too, but I'm going to go ahead and suggest that they weren't true point guards). Basically, Lillard's success as a rookie guard is in many ways unprecedented

Just to clarify in no way, shape, or form am I saying he should of been taken over Davis, but anyone hating on this guy is insane.
    That's the point I've been trying to make. Quit using raw statistics to try and justify Lillard. Here's your logic:

1) He is scoring 18.8 points per game? Well, his True Shooting% and Effective FG% are both average. Over the last 10 games, he's shooting 37% from the field (horrific). How does he score so many points then? Because he is a CHUCKER. Chuckers inflate their raw stats, and that's why you cling to them.

2) 6.3 assists per game? Firstly, assists are totally overrated, and it's an incomplete stat. Never mind that, though. Lillard's Assist%, the stat that really matters, is God-awful. An Assist% of 35% is considered bad, and Lillard's Assist% is 29%. That is dreadful.

3) PER only measures offensive output, so that is a statistic designed for Lillard, and a PER of 17 is above average, but it's by no means something to boast about.

4) To top it all off, Lillard's defensive rating is 111. That is really bad.

When Chris Paul was a rookie, his PER was 22.1, his Assist% was 9 full points higher than Lillard's, his TO% was lower, his Usage% was lower, his Offensive Rating was higher, his Defensive Rating was lower (that's a good thing), and his Win Shares were way better (Paul had a win share of 0.178 while Lillard has a win share of 0.107).

Again, this isn't and indictment on Lillard. I'm not "hating" on the kid. I'm just providing some prospective.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 12-19-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Damian Lillard

It's extremely rare for a rookie to come in the league and shoot efficiently... Especially one that plays on the perimeter. What Lillard has been able to do has been nothing short of remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    It's extremely rare for a rookie to come in the league and shoot efficiently... Especially one that plays on the perimeter. What Lillard has been able to do has been nothing short of remarkable.
    I think if you give most top-6 drafted "scoring guards" 15 shots a game, they'll get you 15-20 points per game. Nothing overly remarkable about that. Lillard has talent, and he can certainly score, but he take way too many bad shots for my taste. To each his own, though.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 12-19-2012 at 04:17 PM.

too bad he did so great in pre draft workouts, wouldve definitely been our pick if he was still there over rivers.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    That's the point I've been trying to make. Quit using raw statistics to try and justify Lillard. Here's your logic:

1) He is scoring 18.8 points per game? Well, his True Shooting% and Effective FG% are both average. Over the last 10 games, he's shooting 37% from the field (horrific). How does he score so many points then? Because he is a CHUCKER. Chuckers inflate their raw stats, and that's why you cling to them.

2) 6.3 assists per game? Firstly, assists are totally overrated, and it's an incomplete stat. Never mind that, though. Lillard's Assist%, the stat that really matters, is God-awful. An Assist% of 35% is considered bad, and Lillard's Assist% is 29%. That is dreadful.

3) PER only measures offensive output, so that is a statistic designed for Lillard, and a PER of 17 is above average, but it's by no means something to boast about.

4) To top it all off, Lillard's defensive rating is 111. That is really bad.

When Chris Paul was a rookie, his PER was 22.1, his Assist% was 9 full points higher than Lillard's, his TO% was lower, his Usage% was lower, his Offensive Rating was higher, his Defensive Rating was lower (that's a good thing), and his Win Shares were way better (Paul had a win share of 0.178 while Lillard has a win share of 0.107).

Again, this isn't and indictment on Lillard. I'm not "hating" on the kid. I'm just providing some prospective.

Stats are the one thing that you can't argue. It's concrete, but they can be skewed for any argument. We will just have to agree to disagree because I know we won't change each others mind

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post
    Stats are the one thing that you can't argue. It's concrete, but they can be skewed for any argument. We will just have to agree to disagree because I know we won't change each others mind
    Ha it's all good man. That's why we're here. It was a good debate though

wait a minute i know this isnt a debate between Lillard and Rivers. Lillard and its not even close.

I don't know much about Lillard, but I will say this. He's 22. He's already the player he's going to be for the next 10-15 years. All he really has to do is improve his mental capability, because he has his body filled out. I think the Emeka/Dwight comparison is good because I don't see Lillard improving much more. He will probably become slightly more efficient and that's going to add another assist to his total, and maybe an extra point or two to his average. He's going to be a top 10 pg for the next 10 years, but I doubt we ever list him as elite.

Thread Information