Pelicans Report

Thread: Trade Idea!

Trade Idea Trade Idea!

There isn't anything too major here, and I'll analyze it once it's all out there, but here's my 3 team swap between the Hornets-76ers-Clippers

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cnv57yk

-Hornets In:

Dorell Wright SF- PHI
    Trey Thompkins PF- LAC
    Eric Bledsoe PG- LAC

-Hornets Out:

Xavier Henry SG/SF
    Greivis Vasquez PG
    Robin Lopez C

-76ers In:

X. Henry- NOR
    G. Vaquez- NOR
    Grant Hill SF- LAC

-76ers Out:

Dorell Wright SF

-Clippers In:

Robin Lopez- NOR

-Clippers Out:

E. Bledsoe
    T. Thompkins

Like any trade idea, this one has it's bits of unlikeliness. For starters, the Clippers are going to want to get maximum value for Eric Bledsoe, and may find a much more attractive offer at some point in the off-season. Also, our Hornets may not even really be willing to trade Vasquez and/or Lopez at all. They may believe that they're part of the future for this team (which would seem a bit absurd to me). You can even take into account the potential swapping of picks, too. Anyway, let's get to the break down and why each team might make their moves, starting with our Hornets/Pelicans.

Hornets:

Eric Bledsoe is without a doubt the main target of this deal. Why does he fit with this team? For starters, he's got an excellent contract. He'll be on the rookie scale for this season and next, then hit restricted free agency, giving the Hornets/Pelicans the first crack at keeping him on board. Second, he's a young and real talent all-around. He's an absurd athlete, with his quickness, strength, and leaping ability, he would give Russell Westbrook a fun run for his money (though probably come up just short). Not only is he physically gifted, but he has the game to go with it. Averaging a mere 18 mpg, his PER is a 24.2 which is nuts. His FG% is at 50%, and his 3 point percentage (38.1%) is way above his career average (27.5%). He's also a skilled passer and rebounder for his position, managing solid numbers in those categories even in limited minutes. I believe that given the opportunity, Bledsoe can not only be a starter in this league, but a star as long as he continues to work hard at improving his game.

Dorell Wright makes sense for this team for a couple of reasons, too. He's a low risk addition as a player on the last year of his deal, making a very manageable $4.1 million. Bringing him in would essentially be a try-out to earn a new contract next year. In Golden State a couple of seasons ago, he was brilliant. He hit his 3-pointers at a very high rate and was an efficient scorer and rebounder as a whole. Last season and this season he has fallen off due to inconsistent minutes, but I think he would be a worthwhile risk for this squad.

Trey Thompkins is just a toss-in to make the salaries work.

Clippers:

The Clippers are poised for a playoff run, but the depth they have with their guards, they lack in their front court. DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin are a great, athletic combo, but behind them they have next to nothing, unless you count the ghost of Lamar Odom. Robin Lopez would be a huge get for this team. He has a perfect contract for a backup center, averaging ~$5M a year for 3 years. He would certainly help on both sides of the ball when one of their other big men are off the court, and may actually be a better offensive player around the basket than either of the ones they have. It would be a good long term move to trade a little-used player for a very useful part of a front court rotation that could really make them into a contender. Also, Trey Thompkins and Grant Hill don't even get minutes.

76ers:

The Sixers are really trying to become a legit playoff team in the East. If Bynum can ever get healthy, they will be, but that has always been the problem with him. As of right now, someone named Maalik Wayns is their backup point guard and has a negative PER. They have probably been playing Nick Young and Evan Turner out of position to handle the duties, which probably kills their second unit's flow. I could be wrong, but I don't have access to advanced stats. Vasquez has been up and down as a starter here, but when playing against backups, he has really played well, and I believe that's the capacity in which he can find the most success in the NBA. The Sixers take Henry as a prospect and salary to make the move work. Grant Hill is just for money.

----------------

So that about sums it up. Thoughts?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You at least put some thought into it but...still...

we have no center...

TL;Dr

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

The Franchise
    I think if we get Bledsoe and a 1st, I'd be ok with it. Without the first nope. Depending where we draft if really high get the best SF and use the late pick for Withey

Vasques, Rivers
    Gordon, Rivers
    Shabazz(hopefully)
    Anderson, Smith
    Davis, Withey

I'd rather see us go after a SF like Barnes or MKG. Trade anything you can, our 1st and everything minus Davis, Rivers, or Anderson. Next year we could throw money at Jennings and buy a late first and get Withey

Jennings, Rivers
    Gordon, Rivers
    MKG
    Anderson, Smith
    Davis, Withey

Could end up with Swift as a bad contract to assume

It's not an ridiculous idea, but a trade involving that many players and teams... I don't see it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    No way Clippers do that. Other teams would give up more for Bledsoe than just Lopez.

lopez, aminu, our first pick(partly protected) for bledsoe and odom(who would get cut)

How about this one?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cw58gdd

Jay-Z and the Russian Billionaire reunite the best rebounding twins on the planet and the Hornets get a scorer off the bench who could fill in for Gordon if he ever gets hurt again. Backcourt set, then you take the best available front court player in the draft and target a SF in FA or via trade
    @mcnamara247

oh wow... someone already beat me to the punch about Bledsoe. I agree, this guy is who we want... but I just don't see other teams wanting anyone from our team other than maybe Robin Lopez and maybe Vasquez? (this of course is minus Davis, Anderson, and Rivers)
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Oh. You're too kind, Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    How about this one?

Jay-Z and the Russian Billionaire reunite the best rebounding twins on the planet and the Hornets get a scorer off the bench who could fill in for Gordon if he ever gets hurt again. Backcourt set, then you take the best available front court player in the draft and target a SF in FA or via trade
    Back Court set? Who is playing point because I can't take another full season of Vasquez as the starter

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Back Court set? Who is playing point because I can't take another full season of Vasquez as the starter
    Rivers makes huge strides by next season

Rivers and Gordon start

Vasquez and Brooks form best backup duo in the league

Optimistic glasses on. Engage!

How about this one?

The Nets are supposedly trying hard to get Illyasova but can't make the salaries work because the players they are trying to move for Illyasova, Brooks and Tyshawn Taylor, are on rookie contracts. I don't see a way for the Hornets to get involved unless they take Kris Humphries for future picks which isn't worth it IMO. But the Crazy Russian is trying to build a spectacle so maybe he would have interest in reuniting the Lopez twins if their pursuit of Illyasova fails.

On Bledsoe:

IIRC, wasn't the original deal for Paul supposed to be Minny's #1, Bledsoe, Aminu & Kamen for Paul, and LAC balked and said NO Bledsoe but you can have Gordon in his place?

IF so, what do we have better than Paul to offer the Clips now??

Rivers makes huge strides by next season

Rivers and Gordon start

Vasquez and Brooks form best backup duo in the league

Optimistic glasses on. Engage!
    From the guy who thinks Gordon isn't and shouldn't be with the hornets by the trade deadline. lol

Hey, I agree with everything you just said, but my Optimistic Glasses broke after we lost to Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    On Bledsoe:

IIRC, wasn't the original deal for Paul supposed to be Minny's #1, Bledsoe, Aminu & Kamen for Paul, and LAC balked and said NO Bledsoe but you can have Gordon in his place?

IF so, what do we have better than Paul to offer the Clips now??
    I believe we wanted Bledsoe and Gordon, but honestly it feels like we didn't get either one. We traded CP3 for AD, Rivers, and Aminu...

Don't feel so bad. The Wiz Kids beat King James and the Heat just a few games before coming to New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by jcollins9 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c8xug7q

How about this one?

These are fun...
    TROLL

No, just having a little fun.

How about this one?

Interesting.

I'd pursue that trade if there's no chance in hell Bledsoe is acquirable being that I imagine Lopez would be a key piece in such a trade.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Thread Information