Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: If Not Austin Rivers, then who?

I'm an enormous Rivers supporter so I was ecstatic when he was the pick. Wouldn't change for me. If not Rivers though, probably Terrence Jones. Maybe put him at the 3 or spark off the bench.

Since everyone else is cheating though, I'd have found a way to trade up and get Harrison Barnes (considering how low he'd fallen at that point--7) and kept J-Jack.

That starting lineup would be nice. Jack, Gordon, Barnes, Davis, Lopez/Anderson.

Still stick by what we originally did, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Only thing I'd do different is figure out who we'd need to kidnap or brainwash to trade up to draft Damian Lillard. Other than that, eh. I was a little worried going in. But I'm not as much now.
    Well I was looking at Rivers' freshmen college stats and Lillard's. As freshmen against better compeition rivers has better stats all the way around the board. Lillard honed his skills against terrible competition so while it looks good now when rivers reaches the same age as lillard he will be better IMO

But to answers the posters original question if harrison barnes was there i'd take him because hes the perfect type of SF we need, an athletic scorer with an incredible jumpshot but he wasn't so thats not the way it works. For me it was between Rivers and Terrence Jones. Terence jones could definetly play the 3. He has great handles, promising improving jumpshot and great defender and athlete. He could be a josh smith with better handles and jumpshot but I absolutely love Rivers, will be an incredible scorer in 3 years, allen iverson type, quote me.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Well I was looking at Rivers' freshmen college stats and Lillard's. As freshmen against better compeition rivers has better stats all the way around the board. Lillard honed his skills against terrible competition so while it looks good now when rivers reaches the same age as lillard he will be better IMO
    I don't understand why people don't take this into account when they compare the 2. Lillard has 3 years of college experience on Rivers. That means a lot. Rivers will be the better player in a few years.

If Not Austin Rivers, then who?

For anyone that has watched lillard play. Does he remind you any of Marcus Thornton, as in shooting too much and having inflated stats?

I agree. I think Rookie of the Year is an outdated award. When it was first introduced, you didn't have some rookies who were 19 and others who were 26. In what world should Austin Rivers and Brian Roberts be competing for the same award?

Give me an under 21 Player of the Year Award. an over 21 year old first year Player of the Year award, and an international important first year player of the year award.

Just spitballing, but calling all of these guys rookies as if they are truly in the same class is just hilarious to me
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    For anyone that has watched lillard play. Does he remind you any of Marcus Thornton, as in shooting too much and having inflated stats?
    MT relied upon the outside shot more and probably wasn't as explosive but very fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    But to answers the posters original question if harrison barnes was there i'd take him because hes the perfect type of SF we need, an athletic scorer with an incredible jumpshot but he wasn't so thats not the way it works. For me it was between Rivers and Terrence Jones. Terence jones could definetly play the 3. He has great handles, promising improving jumpshot and great defender and athlete. He could be a josh smith with better handles and jumpshot but I absolutely love Rivers, will be an incredible scorer in 3 years, allen iverson type, quote me.
    I really wanted to trade up with SAC and snag Barnes. He would have fit so perfectly here, but as many already know, I'm a huge Rivers supporter. Given the players available with the 10th pick, and our positions of need, Rivers was the right call. He's only going to get better and better.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Nooooooo. Lillard is really good. I do not see a chucker at all. Would love if he were a Hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceedee M View Post
    Nooooooo. Lillard is really good. I do not see a chucker at all. Would love if he were a Hornet.
    You mean, besides the fact that he's shooting only 37% from the field over his last 10 games? OOoookay

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I agree. I think Rookie of the Year is an outdated award. When it was first introduced, you didn't have some rookies who were 19 and others who were 26. In what world should Austin Rivers and Brian Roberts be competing for the same award?

Give me an under 21 Player of the Year Award. an over 21 year old first year Player of the Year award, and an international important first year player of the year award.

Just spitballing, but calling all of these guys rookies as if they are truly in the same class is just hilarious to me
    I like this idea but I doubt it happens because sometimes the best rookie IS a 19 year old so having a separate over 21 rookie award would kind of be stupid.

4 out of the last 5 ROY's have been from one and dones. It is crazy though that a guy like Kyrie Irving who is tearing up the league is still two years younger than the rookie Damian Lillard.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    You mean, besides the fact that he's shooting only 37% from the field over his last 10 games? OOoookay
    It doesn't have to be Rivers is a good player or Lillard is a good player. They can both be good in the long run. No need to bash Lillard, he's legit and will be a good player for a long time in this league. Rivers will too if I had to guess. No reason to bash either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    It doesn't have to be Rivers is a good player or Lillard is a good player. They can both be good in the long run. No need to bash Lillard, he's legit and will be a good player for a long time in this league. Rivers will too if I had to guess. No reason to bash either.
    I'm not bashing Lillard. I'm just asking for people to stop gawking at the fact that he is averaging 19 points a game, and really look at how he is doing it. If you think 19 points per game on 37% shooting is great, then I don't know what to say to that....

I'm not bashing Lillard. I'm just asking for people to stop gawking at the fact that he is averaging 19 points a game, and really look at how he is doing it. If you think 19 points per game on 37% shooting is great, then I don't know what to say to that....
    He's playing almost 40 minutes to get those 19 points. He's GOT to be leading all rookies in minutes. 19pts on 15 shots just isn't very efficient. I think the only questions he has right now is his efficiency and his defense.

Also, the fact that he plays so many minutes could be what contributes to him leading all rookies in turnovers as well.

You do realize Lillards first season is pretty comparable to Paul's first season here ?
    Lillards 18.9 ppg 42.6 fg %36.6 3 point % 3.4 rebounds 6.4 assist 1.1 stl 3 turnovers

Paul 16 ppg 43%fg 23% 3 point 5 rebounds 7.8 assist 2.2 stl 2.3 turnovers

Quit bashing the kid. He's having a pretty damn good season and is the rookie of the year. I'm happy for him and glad his skills translated.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    You do realize Lillards first season is pretty comparable to Paul's first season here ?
    Lillards 18.9 ppg 42.6 fg %36.6 3 point % 3.4 rebounds 6.4 assist 1.1 stl 3 turnovers

Quit bashing the kid. He's having a pretty damn good season and is the rookie of the year. I'm happy for him and glad his skills translated.
    I know they start the ASG voting early but I didn't know they done already gave out the ROY award.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    He's playing almost 40 minutes to get those 19 points. He's GOT to be leading all rookies in minutes. 19pts on 15 shots just isn't very efficient. I think the only questions he has right now is his efficiency and his defense.

Also, the fact that he plays so many minutes could be what contributes to him leading all rookies in turnovers as well.
    He is also averaging over 15 shots per game, but he's not a chucker

Dude, I'm not bashing anyone. Lillard isn't even close to Paul's calibre as a rookie. That's just a fact. Paul had no help, and Lillard has Mathews, Batum, and LMA. That's a lot of help. Plus, you are looking at raw statistics, which is a mistake.

Are you really going to try and tell me that Lillard isn't an inefficient chucker? That isn't me hating on the kid. That's just me reminding people to stop looking at just points per game, which doesn't mean ****. I've watched him play, and his passes rarely land where they should. Half of his assists seem to come from feeding LMA in the post. His shot selection is poor, but not as poor as his defense is. But sure, he's having the same rookie season as Chris Paul.

You people need to pump the breaks. Good Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I know they start the ASG voting early but I didn't know they done already gave out the ROY award.
    It's pretty clear at this point.

He is also averaging over 15 shots per game, but he's not a chucker

Dude, I'm not bashing anyone. Lillard isn't even close to Paul's calibre as a rookie. That's just a fact. Paul had no help, and Lillard has Mathews, Batum, and LMA. That's a lot of help. Plus, you are looking at raw statistics, which is a mistake.

Are you really going to try and tell me that Lillard isn't an inefficient chucker? That isn't me hating on the kid. That's just me reminding people to stop looking at just points per game, which doesn't mean ****. I've watched him play, and his passes rarely land where they should. Half of his assists seem to come from feeding LMA in the post. His shot selection is poor, but not as poor as his defense is. But sure, he's having the same rookie season as Chris Paul.

You people need to pump the breaks. Good Lord.
    We've all watched him play. you need to pump the brakes on the hate from a guy in his rookie season, dude hasn't figured it out yet. This dude is one year from playing in the big sky and is adjusting very well. I was very impressed with him the 4 or 5 games i've watched of him, and it's not his raw numbers that impress me. It's his ability to break down the defense at will. I'm impressed, you're not. I think he's going to be a very very solid player for a long long time.

Why people hating on Lillard. He's good. See what he did to the Spurs even though his FG is like .430%
    Ballin

Some of you people need to learn that constructive criticism and hate aren't synonmous.

I swear first the Vasquez craze and now this.....

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Davis is averaging 18.8 pts, 9.9 rbds, 1 ast, 1.6 stl, 2.9 blk, on 51% shooting per 36

Lillard is averaing 17.9 pts, 3.2 rbds, 6.1 ast, 1 stl, 0.2 blk, on 43% shooting per 36

I know that's not what this is about, but I'm just saying...

We've all watched him play. you need to pump the brakes on the hate from a guy in his rookie season, dude hasn't figured it out yet. This dude is one year from playing in the big sky and is adjusting very well. I was very impressed with him the 4 or 5 games i've watched of him, and it's not his raw numbers that impress me. It's his ability to break down the defense at will. I'm impressed, you're not. I think he's going to be a very very solid player for a long long time.
    See the post below.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Some of you people need to learn that constructive criticism and hate aren't synonmous.

I swear first the Vasquez craze and now this.....
    Jesus Christ, it's ridiculous. The ignorance astounds me.

Ahem*
    Lillard had a horrible game, Vasquez totally owned him, but he did hit the game winner. Again, that doesn't mean he had a good game. This further backs up the notion that your love for Lillard is only skin deep.

Lame

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Davis is averaging 18.8 pts, 9.9 rbds, 1 ast, 1.6 stl, 2.9 blk, on 51% shooting per 36

Lillard is averaing 17.9 pts, 3.2 rbds, 6.1 ast, 1 stl, 0.2 blk, on 43% shooting per 36

I know that's not what this is about, but I'm just saying...
    No no, check with BallSoHard. It's obvious that Lillard is the ROY. It isn't even a race.

Thread Information