Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chris Webber: Pelicans worst name ever

Its not as bad as the 76'ers

Whoa, whoa, time out, Chris Webber..

Keep Hornets please!!! but after letting thinking it through the last few days and asking everyone I talk to I have decided I prefer Pelicans over Voodoo, Krewe etc. Knights is the only name I would prefer over Pelicans now.

When you talk to people here are they typical responses you get:

Pelicans: hahaha.. seriously? that's pretty funny. Its unique. its different. Who want to be a Pelican? Would any serious baller want to sign with the Pelicans?

Voodoo: Creepy name. Weird.

Krewe: Like Crew? what? what is that?

Krewe by far has gotten the worst responses from people I have asked. Voodoo got the 2nd worst. Knights were the best because it is unique and a cool name. People think Pelicans is funny and kind of stupid but atleast its very unique.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    interesting how people have pulled back on the "hornets become pelicans" reports. seems like more preference more than fore-gone conclusion. just an observation from how its worded
    Spears' report used the word "expected." Earlier reports discussed mounting evidence.

Seems like the conclusion was a leap by misreaders, some of whom published articles based on their misreading.

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    do you go to the lakefront? have you driven on the twin span or causeway? b/c i see brown pelicans all the time there
    Ditto.

"You can observe alot just by watching." Yogi Berra.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Southshore? Since the storm I rarely go there anymore, but prior went to school at UNO for...years and NEVER saw them all my years of hanging on the lakefront while there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rt0307
    do you go to the lakefront? have you driven on the twin span or causeway? b/c i see brown pelicans all the time there
    I used to ride my bike to UNO along the lakefront, and I'd see pelicans quite often. It was pretty cool when they would fly parallell to me along the shoreline.

Oh, and screw Chris Webber...

Webber's right!! I love the pelican as a bird, just not as an NBA team name! Come on! Buy out the Voodoo name and do it right for once..

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip-Off View Post
    Exactly why the name SHOULD be Pelicans. The more these out-of-towners complain, the more I love the name.
    If you read the article it says he has family here who feels the same way and there is also some quotes in there from former hornets player Steve Smith. So its not JUST out-of-towners that feel this way. I do agree with most that he is a joke of an analyst.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    People not knowing what a krewe is would be the absolute WORST reason to down vote on the name.

Parade organization.

Two words. Easy. And again, I counter with the easy one. What is a Knickerbocker? Does anyone even care? Nope,

Also, yeah. No. Steve Smith's one season playing here does not make him some sort of authority in things New Orleans.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    Whoa, whoa, time out, Chris Webber..
    very good
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    People are that worried about a team name? It's a name of a freaking Bird. A BIRD atleast its our State Bird. It's not generic or the name of another team or after its owner...It doesn't have many good names out their to rep Louisiana other than Pelicans. You may think its bad but others are really gimmicky, lame, or corny. Atleast it has history and meaning. It's the right name. That's all that should matter not that it sounds cool.
    Tomcats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

The Franchise
    Sorry, but Pelicans SUCK. VOODOO baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Also, yeah. No. Steve Smith's one season playing here does not make him some sort of authority in things New Orleans.
    I've lived in the NO area my whole life and hate the name Pelicans. It has nothing to do with where you live a lot of people here hate the name.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Exactly why the name SHOULD be Pelicans. The more these out-of-towners complain, the more I love the name.
    Agreed. 1000%

The tears of hate are delicious.
    Wherehappens.

This us against the world mentality can't fly right now. We need to rebrand to an organization that's national marketable, mainstream appeal for merch, and proper exposure to finally be looked at as acceptable and respected. We get our chance to finally get it right, and what we do? We become " The Pelicans" smfh...
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    This us against the world mentality can't fly right now. We need to rebrand to an organization that's national marketable, mainstream appeal for merch, and proper exposure to finally be looked at as acceptable and respected. We get our chance to finally get it right, and what we do? We become " The Pelicans" smfh...
    No, we need to rebuild to a team that's respected around the league for WINNING. That's what really matters with popularity. The fear of the team leaving is gone, the team is here for the long haul.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It doesn't matter what the name is. Winning will make it sell. I'd rather a different name, but more excuses like "No one will come here to play." "The merch won't sell." "People won't stop laughing" is lukewarm. The team blows up and becomes elite, you think people will care what our name is? Pelicans would be the name of a basketball team you don't wanna **** with. So would Voodoo, Krewe, Angels, Beetleborgs, whatever.

But for now, if you think the name is dumb, that's all the reason you need for the short term.

I have always said winning cures everything even back when the Thunder made their name chage. I'm not one who thinks players wont play here or stuff wont sell, that is just ignorance. But I truly dislike the name and wish we would roll with something else. That is all.

Wow, kinda surprised at how many people don't like CWebb. I think he's one of the better NBA analysts on TV today. I routinely watch NBA Open Court and him, Kerr, and Kenny Smith are the ones I find have the best insight.

I never cared much for neither him nor Jalen Rose as analysts.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I never cared much for neither him nor Jalen Rose as analysts.
    You must like Duke

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjjr72984 View Post
    Wow, kinda surprised at how many people don't like CWebb. I think he's one of the better NBA analysts on TV today. I routinely watch NBA Open Court and him, Kerr, and Kenny Smith are the ones I find have the best insight.
    Being the best anything on TV isn't really an accomplishment.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjjr72984 View Post
    its not that I really dislike him, but its more that I couldn't care less about his opinion on nicknames....he has shown that his judgement isn't all that...

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    You must like Duke
    No. I liked the Fab 5 though. And I really liked that Kings team that Webber was on. Not all former players make good analysts though.

Thread Information