Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Official I HATE Brian Roberts Thread

Blog Entries
    Guys, he's not the future at PG. He's a backup forced to play minutes against top-level NBA players.

Frankly I think he's done a hell of a job so far. Tell me you expected more from him.

Anyone?
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    Guys, he's not the future at PG. He's a backup forced to play minutes against top-level NBA players.

Frankly I think he's done a hell of a job so far. Tell me you expected more from him.

Anyone?
    Just because he exceeded the level expectations does not make him a good player or worthy of a spot on an NBA team that is serious about winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Just because he exceeded the level expectations does not make him a good player or worthy of a spot on an NBA team that is serious about winning.
    Are we serious about winning right now? We're still rebuilding. This year, and probably next, is all about growing, not contending.

Brian Roberts is far from being the worst player in the NBA. Bottom tier absolutely, but far from the worst.

Blog Entries
    We're not even close to being serious about winning. We're surviving, trying to keep fans engaged, and essentially just waiting for our players to develop/return from injury, contracts to get off the books, and more talented players to become available to us either through FA or trade.

Hating a rookie guard because he isn't Dwayne Wade and the Hornets aren't winning games seems a bit off. I could see being mad at Monty or Dell, but Roberts?

Roberts is Marc Stein's number 5 rookie OVERALL-- http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/rookies/rankings

He has the 6th highest PER among all rookies-- http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli...sition/rookies

We're better when he's on the court than when he's off it (although offensively we are a tick worse-- http://www.82games.com/1213/12NOH1.HTM

43% from 3 point land

2.43:1 assist/to ratio

1.14 points/shot

Yet you hate him. Which guard do you want in the game if not for Roberts?

Color me confused.

i didn't expect the second coming of Chris Paul BUT dude is a black hole when he's running the offense. oh and if you're sick of these "Hate" threads, ignore them and don't post in them.

I'm hearing a lot of the "not using him right" reasoning for not only Roberts but a few other players lately. Thats why I keep stressing that Monty needs to look for a assistant coach that specializes in offensive scheme and development. The team relies on defense, which is not a bad thing at all, but its almost hindered the offensive development. There doesn't seem to be a true offensive phlisophy on this team. None of the coaches seem to know how to draw up offensive plays that puts the players in the best positions to score based off their abilities.

For example...there were a few times I've seen Roberts and AD on the floor together and it seems like the original goal is to get the ball down to AD in the post when he has a favorable position. Roberts is not the kind of player that has the vision to recognize or anticipate in the split second when he has that favorable position and to pass the ball immediately. So if your a coach you have to have that feel for what kind of players you're putting on the court together. Roberts is not the guy who's gonna get his big men the ball...he's a score first PG with no court vision. So as a coach you have to know that if your goal is to get the ball to you're big man...you need a guy out there who's going to be able to recognize and do just that.

Although all of our options a PG right at this moment have this same kind of flaw you put the one out there that gives you the best opportunity to run the offensive plays you draw up. IMO in that instance....Rivers would have been the better choice because he's more likely to not let the clock run down. Sometimes I think Monty needs to realize that sometimes you might have to lose a little bit of defense to score points in this league. Holding a team to 80-90pts means nothing when you can't run an offense yourself.

I also think that this team is too young and talented not to push the pace and run. Alot of the mistakes on offense I feel comes with the players being so caught up in running the correct half court set that they can just play and use their abilities. I think it would benefit the likes of Aminu, Rivers, AD and even Lopez if they would play faster.

B. Roberts is a baller. He is the second best pg on the team and best shooter amongs all current guards. Although small, weak and inexperience, the kid brings some good things to the team. That being said, once Gordon gets back, his minutes will significantly disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    I'm hearing a lot of the "not using him right" reasoning for not only Roberts but a few other players lately. Thats why I keep stressing that Monty needs to look for a assistant coach that specializes in offensive scheme and development. The team relies on defense, which is not a bad thing at all, but its almost hindered the offensive development. There doesn't seem to be a true offensive phlisophy on this team.
    THIS.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Yeah. When he's off ball, Roberts does just fine. I wonder if there's any stats available on Roberts from catch and shoot situations?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Roberts is the best scoring guard on this team by a lot (without Gordon). Yet he's a black hole. Jack got this same treatment when he ran point. Guys deserve to be a little ball dominant if they make the shots at a decent rate and we don't have a better option.

Roberts has lead the team in scoring the 2nd most amount of times, how can you hate him maybe his a bad pg but for a rookie he does well.

I've seen enough of him to believe that Monty is asking Roberts to play the way he's playing. Williams is asking him to look for shots and score at every opportunity. Whether you love it or hate it, his success is crucial to our bench.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I don't like Roberts' game, for but various reasons, he is critical to our team fielding a competitive squad. Rivers and Vasquez can't play 48 minutes a night, Gordon is out. Mason has no future on this team and will basically only play if someone needs a blow or is hurt or being punished. You have to play Roberts and live with what he brings until such time you are able to better organize your puzzle with the proper pieces for your vision.

This team has much larger problems than Roberts, who has actually been a pleasant surprise with a consistent shot. He's not a natural point guard and he's young. He should get an ovation, not hate.

Wierd thread this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post

Anyone?
    Completely agree with this assessment and ive said a few times during this season that Roberts has been one of the few players ive been impressed with so far. He is fairly efficient has a nice stroke, doesn't turn the ball over and is rather reliable and consistent with his play each game. To criticize Roberts so severely for his supposed negative play would mean that nearly every player on this hornets roster has been performing at an underwhelming level.

Also the talk about him just dribbling the clock down is ridiculous. Ive watched every game this year and have seen the exact same problems with all our guards. The one major exception being that Roberts has a knack for actually hitting that shot when he is forced into these situations. His shooting percentages for a guard of his play are exceptional which cant be said for any other guard on this team. If you believe his play for this team has impacted us in an negative way then it would be naive and ignorant to not say the same for the rest of the back court.

I kind of like Roberts, prefer him over Mason for sure. We're definitely not putting him in a good position, but at this point he deserves to at least stick around, even if it means he gets less playing time when Gordon comes back. Our biggest glaring weakness right now, as I see it, is a lack of a true point guard. Our offense relies on on-ball picks and Anderson being wide open to score points, not the best recipe for success. Too many late in the clock shots, including by Roberts. However, not necessarily his fault when he's got the ball and probably has the best chance of making the shot.

Players and Coaches should always be serious about Winning. Just because we are young doesn't mean we go out there to lose, and Brian Roberts is not a player I think helps us win. Plain and Simple.

I do realize at this point, we are waiting until the summer to fill this roster, but I doubt Roberts is on the team next year. If he is, I expect him to be a bench warmer, and that is where he should be.

Players and Coaches should always be serious about Winning. Just because we are young doesn't mean we go out there to lose, and Brian Roberts is not a player I think helps us win. Plain and Simple.

I do realize at this point, we are waiting until the summer to fill this roster, but I doubt Roberts is on the team next year. If he is, I expect him to be a bench warmer, and that is where he should be.
    Who on this team IS helping us win? Last I checked, we're not winning too many games. Roberts is better than everybody's future choice for PG. Roberts contributes today yet everyone is in love with the guy that won't contribute until 3 years from now. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Who on this team IS helping us win? Last I checked, we're not winning too many games. Roberts is better than everybody's future choice for PG. Roberts contributes today yet everyone is in love with the guy that won't contribute until 3 years from now. Go figure.
    He doesn't run the offense. He consistently refuses to pass in PnR situations, and he dribbles out the clock. This has been said over and over.

He doesn't run the offense. He consistently refuses to pass in PnR situations, and he dribbles out the clock. This has been said over and over.
    I understand your issue with Roberts but none of the guards are doing the pnr either. The anger shouldn't be directed at Roberts alone.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I understand your issue with Roberts but none of the guards are doing the pnr either. The anger shouldn't be directed at Roberts alone.
    The other guards may be bad at PnR too, but when Roberts goes ISO, I expect a bad shot and a miss. Anything that goes in, I'm surprised but still mad because Roberts again refused to run plays or pass the ball.

The other guards may be bad at PnR too, but when Roberts goes ISO, I expect a bad shot and a miss. Anything that goes in, I'm surprised but still mad because Roberts again refused to run plays or pass the ball.
    Bad shot and a miss? He's the best and most consistent shooting guard we have. He doesn't shoot many bricks at all.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Bad shot and a miss? He's the best and most consistent shooting guard we have. He doesn't shoot many bricks at all.
    Very true...which is why I think the hate is misguided so to speak. He should be playing the SG position rather than the PG position. If you're going to go the route of bringing him off the bench do it to take over for Rivers and switch Rivers to the PG spot with the second unit. To me its not really Roberts that the problem....its the way he is used in the rotation....thats on coaching not Roberts.

For some reason Monty feels he needs his PG to be the scorer especially with the 2nd unit which I don't agree with per say because the team isn't built for that. Now when EG gets back it might be a different story but as the roster is right now it doesn't work when trying to win games. With who we have on the court right now you need a PG who is going to help create for others mostly and sometimes take a shot if its there. With EG you'll have a consistant scoring threat who can create for himself then you can have a Vasquez on the floor. Then with the second unit with Rivers at PG and Roberts at SG you'll have the same type of combo to a lesser degree...but the same concept since Rivers is better at creating for others than Roberts.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    The alternative to Roberts is more Mason Jr.; the real man this thread should be about.

Thread Information