Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Is it too early to talk about the 2013 NBA Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Agree'd ! Thats like the third time we've agree'd on something.

I don't Hate Noel with him, but I think there's a lot of overlap.
    I don't care, I still hate you

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    McLemore and Smart are high upside prospects but they would both lead the NBA in turnovers if they got minutes early on. Zeller, I agree could be a 15 min per game solid contributor on a good team right away, and maybe Muhammad could be a solid 3rd guard, but if this team has guys ready to win now in Gordon and Anderson and players they are already developing in Rivers and Davis, then I just see a young vet who you dont have to coach every day, who already knows how to play, would be the way Dell and Monty would prefer to go.

I can see a situation where Indy is wary of paying a Paul George or Portland wants to blow it up and offers Nic Batum or Aldridge, maybe Rudy Gay if the Grizz are one and done in the playoffs again. Who knows what can happen, but guys like that are always on the block for a high pick in June and I think Dell and Monty would prefer a guy like this over a developmental project. But we'll see
    I agree with this, and we were kicking this idea around the other day. What would you think of something like LMA for Lopez, Aminu, and Henry + our 1st round pick? You think that is enough? Gives them expirings, a pick to rebuild with, and flexibility going into FA. Or we could do something like Aminu, Vasquez, + our 1st round pick for George. That would be sick!
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 12-13-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I feel like if there is a clear group of 2 or 3 draftees that separate themselves from the pack, then maybe you go ahead and draft them if you are so lucky. But if the Hornets are stuck in that 4 through 8, Sacramento King-type draft purgatory, looking for a game changer might be difficult. We'd be spinning our wheels. Fact is, outside of AD, our core is Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, Greivis Vasquez, Robin Lopez and Jason Smith all of those players will be at their best in the next 2-3 years. Austin Rivers is talented project. Anthony Davis is short term and long term cornerstone, but clearly your preference for him would be to experience winning sooner rather later. I think we should, and Dells actions speak to this, be shooting for some immediate help in the form of a younger veteran.

Brandon Jennings, anyone?
    Last edited by DefensiveMind; 12-13-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Brandon Jennings, anyone?
    "Yes" - everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nsingh93 View Post
    I feel Noel is super raw and he should stay another year in college.
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Why ? He will be a top 5 pick. Ask sully about Staying in college.
    Nsingh's right. Nerlens needs a major expansion of his offensive repertoire.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

It seems to me like we'll have the cap space to bring in a young vet (or two, depending on price-Anderson came in at 8M) without giving up a draft pick to do so. I think everyone's ready for the develop-talent-and-lost phase to be over, but as a smaller market we need to keep picking up cheaper talent when we can. OKC didn't mortgage picks to get where they are. They kept them and are getting value for them now even if they aren't playing for OKC anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeauz View Post
    It seems to me like we'll have the cap space to bring in a young vet (or two, depending on price-Anderson came in at 8M) without giving up a draft pick to do so. I think everyone's ready for the develop-talent-and-lost phase to be over, but as a smaller market we need to keep picking up cheaper talent when we can. OKC didn't mortgage picks to get where they are. They kept them and are getting value for them now even if they aren't playing for OKC anymore.
    OKC also didn't have young vets that can carry a team right now like Gordon and Anderson (toss in Lopez, JSmith, and Vasquez as role players). We also have Davis, who is advanced beyond his years. Really, the main guy we are waiting on is Rivers, and I expect him to be good to go in a year or so. If we can add a key young vet to this roster by trading our 1st round pick, you do it in a heartbeat.

say we get the 3rd overall pick, just like okc was gonna trade harden for a top 3 pick could we possibly trade it for someone like Cousins or paul george?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Execs saying they would probably trade the 1st overall in this draft. I realize its early, but its interesting.
    Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com surveyed 35 NBA executives, most of whom said they'd rather trade the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 draft than select from a thoroughly disappointing crop of prospects that lacks a franchise-changer like last year's No. 1, Anthony Davis (Twitter link). One GM called the field, "The worst I've ever seen."
    Link

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    Nsingh's right. Nerlens needs a major expansion of his offensive repertoire.
    Clearly didn't read the rest of what i wrote. My point was tell a guy he should stay in for free when he can be making millions. And what happens if he stays until his Jr. year and those skills don't surface? he loses any luster he had and loses Millions.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    This is a weak draft but it has some value at the tip top.

Fair point, but in that case you give up our draft pick and our cap space, instead of just losing the cap space. For me, that young vet would have to be a game changer. There's going to be talent we can get this offseason without losing our draft pick in the process.

Edit: This was supposed to quote Slim above.

this draft is good if u have a top 5 pick, thats about it

Here's who to root for tonight in order of importance:

Minnesota over New Orleans (5-16) - obvious
    Washington (3-16) over LA Lakers - Wizards just beat Heat; could Lakers reach new Kobe-era low? We can only hope
    Toronto (4-19) over Dallas
    Cleveland (5-18) over Milwaukee - we could pass Cleveland for 3rd worst record with good results tonight
    Detroit (7-17) over Brooklyn
    Sacramento (7-14) over OKC
    Orlando (8-13) over Golden State
    Phoenix (8-15) over Utah
    Last edited by WisconsinHornet; 12-14-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    Here's who to root for tonight in order of importance:

Minnesota over New Orleans (5-16) - obvious
    Washington (3-16) over LA Lakers - Wizards just beat Heat; could Lakers reach new Kobe-era low? We can only hope
    Cleveland (5-18) over Milwaukee - we could pass Cleveland for 3rd worst record with good results tonight
    Detroit (7-17) over Brooklyn
    Sacramento (7-14) over OKC
    Orlando (8-13) over Golden State
    Phoenix (8-15) over Utah
    The most interesting non-Hornets question for me the rest of the season is: Do we root FOR or AGAINST Toronto?

To me, the worst case scenario is that OKC gets the #4 pick. So, do I root for Toronto to tank and finish with the worst record and a high chance at a top 3 pick that they would keep or do I root for them to win as much as possible, reducing their chances at a top 3 pick (and likely increasing ours), but practically ensuring OKC gets a top 5-8 pick this year?

Tough decision
    @mcnamara247

I'd say for
    The most interesting non-Hornets question for me the rest of the season is: Do we root FOR or AGAINST Toronto?

To me, the worst case scenario is that OKC gets the #4 pick. So, do I root for Toronto to tank and finish with the worst record and a high chance at a top 3 pick that they would keep or do I root for them to win as much as possible, reducing their chances at a top 3 pick (and likely increasing ours), but practically ensuring OKC gets a top 5-8 pick this year?

Tough decision

OKC plays Real Life NBA like a video game... They will be a good team for a VERY long time.

Tough decision
    Yeah it's interesting. Do you know the dynamics of their front office? In other words, does their GM and Coach have to win this year to save their jobs, or are they "safe" and young in their tenure and able to afford a bottom 3 season in order to hopefully salvage a top pick? I remember seeing Gasol to Raptors trade rumors earlier this week so that would indicate they're still at least putting on the front of trying to win this year.

The only thing I really know about Toronto is that their baseline artwork makes me dizzy. It took me all of last season to figure that out and now whenever I watch a game at their arena I just stare at the 3d visual instead of the game. Hate it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rap3D.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	4524
    Last edited by WisconsinHornet; 12-14-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Friday Night Scores:

Wizards (3-17) lost a tough one to the desperate Lakers
    Toronto beats Dallas and is now 5-19
    Cleveland (5-19) loses a tough one to Bucks. With Irving back we should hopefully pass them soon
    Detroit (7-18) lost in 2OT to Nets. Looking much better though shouldn't threaten our draft slot
    Sacramento (7-15) lost to OKC.
    Orlando beats Golden State and is now 9-13
    Phoenix (9-15) beats Utah
    Last edited by WisconsinHornet; 12-14-2012 at 11:01 PM.

good night draft-wise our Bees played hard and well yet lost to a playoff team.

Magic, Raptors, Suns all win. Cavs and Pistons looked really good. Wizards showed some spunk. And we're now even in the win column with Toronto and Cleveland and SHOULD pass each of them for the 2nd spot in the ping pong ball pecking order over the next six games. Fingers crossed for some positive results for our Bees.

12/16 @ Portland LOSS
    12/18 @ Golden State LOSS
    12/19 @ Lob City LOSS
    12/21 @ San Antonio LOSS
    12/22 v's Pacers LOSS
    12/26 @ Magic LOSS
    12/28 THE SHOWDOWN - vs Raptors ?!?!?!

I know it's probably overly optimistic for us to hope for the worst record overall, but I'd be thrilled with a second place record going into 2013.
    Last edited by WisconsinHornet; 12-14-2012 at 11:04 PM.

I'm in for the full tank. Be competitive, get better but lose. The Hornets also need to deal Puddin and his bum wheel for whatever they can get.

AWWWW I love the smell of tank in here. IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I wana our team to suck for at least two more years
    Ballin

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    AWWWW I love the smell of tank in here. IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I wana our team to suck for at least two more years

I'll be at the BMO Harris Bradley Center tonight watching the greatest Hornet of all time lead Los Angeles against my adopted Bucks

Lots of big games for our Hornets tonight though. Root for...

Charlotte (7-15) over Orlando (9-13) on a baba
    Cleveland (5-19) over the Knickerbockers
    Washington (3-19) over the Heat
    Detroit (7-18) over the Pacers

Hopefully at least one of those hits. I'll try not to cry as I watch CP3 in the wrong colors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chris+Paul+New+Orleans+Hornets+v+Milwaukee+1P2FGPd0UeHl.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	4527

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You mad bro?

With Raptors win and Hornets loss tonight we now have the 3rd highest allotment of ping pong balls in the Association.

What's even more promising is that with Kyrie Erving back for the Cavaliers and our ridiculous schedule over the next 6 games we should definitely improve to 2nd most ping pong balls very shortly. Who knows - maybe the Wizards will even win a few???

Thread Information