Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rivers has a long way to go...

It will take time, but I think the encouraging thing is none of those problems are untreatable. He can work on the hitch in his shot, he can put on muscle, and he will learn to trust his instincts the more he plays.

Austin with the career high last night!

I missed my son my boy Rivers score 24. I knew i shouldnt have fell asleep last night. Was he going off
    Ballin

He had 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    He had 27
    My bad and just seen his full highlights on realgm

He scored 19 in the first half and then just... didn't do anything in the second. His last 5 points all came in garbage time. The crowd was happy, though, since it got them free fries.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    It looked like in the second half he couldn't really get into his comfort zone to make the same shots so the offense kind of deferred from him.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

he has to try to break his man down from the start more. it seems like if a guy is in his face when he receives the ball he's quick to get rid of it

Rivers had one possession where he was just making his man look silly trying to stay in front, and Rivers just pulled up and drained the mid range look. If he has that, the skys the limit. His shooting stroke looked a little quicker last night. That weird hitch where it looks like he shoots on his way down was gone.

It was promising, but I'm really on expecting 10/4/2 lines from for most game, and I'll be happy with that.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Indeed. Its pulling up from mid-range that will be golden for him. If he doesn't take the 3 teams knew he was coming to the rim. If he starts pulling up and knocking down the mid?

...let's see how he does tomorrow. Another big matchup.

Really happy to see this game from him. We know that wins and losses are second priority here; top priority is watching our young guys develop and seeing if they can build confidence. I think he's getting there. I don't expect 27 points a night, but I can definitely see him hovering in the low 10s consistently for a bit, which is better than the goose eggs he was laying.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    I missed my son my boy Rivers score 24. I knew i shouldnt have fell asleep last night. Was he going off
    is he really ur son and ur boy? Thats impressive doc rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Rivers had one possession where he was just making his man look silly trying to stay in front, and Rivers just pulled up and drained the mid range look. If he has that, the skys the limit. His shooting stroke looked a little quicker last night. That weird hitch where it looks like he shoots on his way down was gone.

It was promising, but I'm really on expecting 10/4/2 lines from for most game, and I'll be happy with that.
    Monty said that 2 of the assistant coaches (can't remember which ones) have been working night and day with Rivers on refining his hitch in his shot. He said they have also been working on balance when he gets into his shooting stance. To see this much improvement from Rivers this quickly is beyond encouraging.

EDIT: Here it is:

“He’s starting to get some confidence,” head coach Monty Williams assessed. “This is what we thought he could do. He scored the ball from many areas – driving the ball, knocking down threes. It’s unfortunate we couldn’t complement that win a win. He works at it. He’s been through a tough time. Most people thought he would come out of the gate and be Austin Rivers from Winter Park (his high school in Florida). But he’s starting to find his areas. Coach (Dave) Hanners and Coach Fred (Vinson) have helped him with his shot, staying balanced. He’s been working at it. I look for him to do more of this.”
    http://www.nba.com/hornets/blog/horn...ets-102-121412

Also, during the halftime interview, can't remember which assistant coach it was, but he basically insinuated that Rivers has a crazy work ethic, so it's no surprise to him to see Rivers drop 19 in the 1st half and see how far his shot has come.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 12-15-2012 at 01:54 PM.

cant wait to see austin in his prime

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    is he really ur son and ur boy? Thats impressive doc rivers
    Why you keeping acting like that everytime i say he my boy

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Rivers used to extend his leg out on his long range attempts, doesn't do that anymore.

I really like Austin and it makes me feel validated that I saw the same "flashes" early on that Monty and some of ya'll talk about. You can't teach some of the things he does. He does things that a Vasquez or a Darren Collison (for example) couldn't do in a million years. The rest should come with great coaching, his strong work ethic, and some seasoning.
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    Why you keeping acting like that everytime i say he my boy
    I guess the same reason why u keep calling him ur son or ur boy, just fun honestly. Ur grammar is just too hard to resist

his hesitations and pull up jumpers are money $$$

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Rivers has a long way to go...

22 games into his rookie season and already Rivers is showing improvement and consist scoring the past couple weeks. I said this at the beginning of the year, when this season is over, compare his stats to Harden's rookie year. I'm not saying he will definitely be as good as Harden, but IMO I think he has the skills to be. Future is looking bright with our 2 rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I guess the same reason why u keep calling him ur son or ur boy, just fun honestly. Ur grammar is just too hard to resist
    He just my son. I believe in this dude others don't. I want to see him prove them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Also, during the halftime interview, can't remember which assistant coach it was, but he basically insinuated that Rivers has a crazy work ethic, so it's no surprise to him to see Rivers drop 19 in the 1st half and see how far his shot has come.
    twas Brian Gates

Thread Information