.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
Results 326 to 349 of 349

Thread: Pelicans (5-15) vs Thunder (17-4) 12/12/12

  1. #326
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,250
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    They ALL have to be used right. I don't like that Davis seems to spend so much time on the perimeter. He's not a guard anymore. All players need to be put in positions to succeed. Put them in positions to use their strengths.
    He spends so much time out there because we don't have any guard that can execute a pick and roll with him. Vasquez is too slow and Rivers either hesitates or just drives on his own.

    What this team also needs beyond the obvious is an offensive minded coach to run a Pops type scheme. Movement, screens everywhere, and passing.

    If I say anymore I'll have to say that name. I ain't gonna do it.

  2. #327
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,881
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    He spends so much time out there because we don't have any guard that can execute a pick and roll with him. Vasquez is too slow and Rivers either hesitates or just drives on his own.

    What this team also needs beyond the obvious is an offensive minded coach to run a Pops type scheme. Movement, screens everywhere, and passing.

    If I say anymore I'll have to say that name. I ain't gonna do it.
    Say it. Everyone's not thinking it.


    ...well, I'm not anyway.

  3. #328
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    He spends so much time out there because we don't have any guard that can execute a pick and roll with him. Vasquez is too slow and Rivers either hesitates or just drives on his own.

    What this team also needs beyond the obvious is an offensive minded coach to run a Pops type scheme. Movement, screens everywhere, and passing.

    If I say anymore I'll have to say that name. I ain't gonna do it.

    No luckyman don't do it! Don't say it! It's like that M. Night Shyamalan movie where they said "those we don't speak of".

  4. #329
    The only consolation I have is that the Hornets are in good position right now for another top draft pick. NBADraft.net has the Hornets taking Shabazz Muhammed at #4. Imagine if they get him and play him at SF alongside the other players already on this team.

    With that said, I still hope they can turn this around and at least have an entertaining season. The injuries have made a lot of the recent games almost unbearable to watch and the guard play for the most part has been absolutely atrocious.

  5. #330
    BUZZ OFF, CHARLOTTE Teal Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    620
    The 4th quarter has been quite unkind. Against the Wiz, there was a lid on the basket. Tonight, the Thunder seemed to have 7 players on the court in the 4th. The Hornets keep inventing ways to lose. *sigh*
    With purple and pinstripes from days gone by, I trumpet Hugo's name to the NOLA sky. When rebranders and posers abuse their might, beware my power, TEAL LANTERN'S LIGHT!

    Forever hating the nickname, the logos, and the colors. Still backing the team I've loved since 1994.

    Stolen name. Stolen colors. Stolen identity. Still the same old worthless Slobcats. Suck sludge, Charlotte.

  6. #331
    Can someone tell me if Anthony Davis is really the best pick in the draft right now, because atm he doesnt look like that impact player on the get go like we thought, but i see a bright future.

  7. #332
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Can someone tell me if Anthony Davis is really the best pick in the draft right now, because atm he doesnt look like that impact player on the get go like we thought, but i see a bright future.
    Yes he is. He's only 19! You have to be patient with him. He already is having a defensive impact on games as well as averaging double figures in scoring.

  8. #333
    Starter SharlieCheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Unfortunately not in New Orleans
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Can someone tell me if Anthony Davis is really the best pick in the draft right now, because atm he doesnt look like that impact player on the get go like we thought, but i see a bright future.
    big men take more time to develop than smaller players. He will get stronger and better in a couple of years.
    i also believe that rivers also needs some time but they both did spend only one year at college so give em time man.
    Lillard is doing great but in a couple of years Davis could be one of the greatest.

  9. #334
    Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    The only consolation I have is that the Hornets are in good position right now for another top draft pick. NBADraft.net has the Hornets taking Shabazz Muhammed at #4. Imagine if they get him and play him at SF alongside the other players already on this team.

    With that said, I still hope they can turn this around and at least have an entertaining season. The injuries have made a lot of the recent games almost unbearable to watch and the guard play for the most part has been absolutely atrocious.
    If we miss him we will most likely get my Alum Marcus Smart. That I can also live with. Just don't want a tweener SF/PF like Mcadoo or Poythress as they usually just turn out to be rubbish in the NBA

  10. #335
    2 thoughts. First, can we stop with the he's only 19 excuse? AD is good now and will be much better as his career progresses. If these 19 year olds aren't ready to play, stay in college. This same logic applies to Rivers as well. Secondly, Monty is taking AD out of his comfort zone. I read on hear all the time that traditional positions don't matter. Guess what they do. AD needs to be in the lane doing what he does best and not guarding Durant on the perimeter and taking jumpers. AD has good hands and great footwork. Get him the ball in the post. We have no post presence outside of Lopez. We have the tallest roster of dudes that only want to shoot jumpers. Finally, we need a guard (**cough** EG **cough**) that can run the pick and roll with AD. That will make Ryno more valuable. lately, Ryno has been ineffective in 2nd halves because he's playing a role that's not what he does best. He's a shooter not a playmaker. AD will help with that but Monty as to change his philosophy. I don't understand why none of our guards even attempt to get AD the ball on pnr or low post entry passes

  11. #336
    Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    The only consolation I have is that the Hornets are in good position right now for another top draft pick. NBADraft.net has the Hornets taking Shabazz Muhammed at #4. Imagine if they get him and play him at SF alongside the other players already on this team.

    With that said, I still hope they can turn this around and at least have an entertaining season. The injuries have made a lot of the recent games almost unbearable to watch and the guard play for the most part has been absolutely atrocious.
    I've said it time and time again. We aren't going to recruit enough game changing players. We are going to have to draft the majority of our core.

    We can be very entertaining and gain plenty experience for the younger guys while still losing.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 12-13-2012 at 07:35 AM.

  12. #337
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    2 thoughts. First, can we stop with the he's only 19 excuse? AD is good now and will be much better as his career progresses. If these 19 year olds aren't ready to play, stay in college. This same logic applies to Rivers as well. Secondly, Monty is taking AD out of his comfort zone. I read on hear all the time that traditional positions don't matter. Guess what they do. AD needs to be in the lane doing what he does best and not guarding Durant on the perimeter and taking jumpers. AD has good hands and great footwork. Get him the ball in the post. We have no post presence outside of Lopez. We have the tallest roster of dudes that only want to shoot jumpers. Finally, we need a guard (**cough** EG **cough**) that can run the pick and roll with AD. That will make Ryno more valuable. lately, Ryno has been ineffective in 2nd halves because he's playing a role that's not what he does best. He's a shooter not a playmaker. AD will help with that but Monty as to change his philosophy. I don't understand why none of our guards even attempt to get AD the ball on pnr or low post entry passes
    If you look AD has been much more effienct hitting jumper and in the PNR. He's not affective scoring in the post as of now. He may end up being a much better post presense as his career progresses. He has great touch around the basket and a quick hook, but he isn't skilled or strong enough right now to be a consistent option in the post.

  13. #338
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If you look AD has been much more effienct hitting jumper and in the PNR. He's not affective scoring in the post as of now. He may end up being a much better post presense as his career progresses. He has great touch around the basket and a quick hook, but he isn't skilled or strong enough right now to be a consistent option in the post.
    Well if you watched Anthony DAvis' two airballs and his other two or three jumpers not even close to making then you got to worry what else can he consistently do.

  14. #339
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Well if you watched Anthony DAvis' two airballs and his other two or three jumpers not even close to making then you got to worry what else can he consistently do.
    I've never seen somebody complain as much as you do, especially after a tough loss. Do you even realize that Davis was in the top-4 in the LEAGUE in PER. IN THE LEAGUE!!! The only guys in front of him were LeBron, Durant, and someone else, can't remember. That means he made a immediate impact as a 19 year old rookie. Chill man, Davis isn't the problem.

  15. #340
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I've never seen somebody complain as much as you do, especially after a tough loss. Do you even realize that Davis was in the top-4 in the LEAGUE in PER. IN THE LEAGUE!!! The only guys in front of him were LeBron, Durant, and someone else, can't remember. That means he made a immediate impact as a 19 year old rookie. Chill man, Davis isn't the problem.
    Well with a 5-16 record theres a lot to complain about isnt there.

    And yes i love Anthony DAvis his my man, i just see a team using him poorly atm.

  16. #341
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Well if you watched Anthony DAvis' two airballs and his other two or three jumpers not even close to making then you got to worry what else can he consistently do.
    It was just one game. He has a nice jumper and will most likely only get better. Name me a player let alone a rookie who hasn't had a rough night shooting the ball?

  17. #342
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Well with a 5-16 record theres a lot to complain about isnt there.

    And yes i love Anthony DAvis his my man, i just see a team using him poorly atm.
    I'm just saying bro, Davis has exceeded expectations, and my expectations for him were high. I don't think Monty is sure how to use him yet because I don't think Davis is sure how to use his tools yet. The guy is a bit of an unprecedented freak. I think they will figure it out as they go, so for now, just sit back and enjoy the ride because we only get it once.

  18. #343
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,567
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    It was just one game. He has a nice jumper and will most likely only get better. Name me a player let alone a rookie who hasn't had a rough night shooting the ball?
    How dare you ask that question he should shoot 90% from the field every night!!!

  19. #344
    AD is going to be a great NBA player. We need to cater to his strengths though. I'm ok with some jumpers but his bread and butter should be in the post. I think he's surprised us with how well he can shoot it but at the end of the day, he's great around the basket and should get more touches there.

  20. #345
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Can someone tell me if Anthony Davis is really the best pick in the draft right now, because atm he doesnt look like that impact player on the get go like we thought, but i see a bright future.
    Anthony Davis is averaging 17 ppg outside of the two games against OKC. 19 points if you exclude the Jazz game.

    That's an impact player, and couple that with the other things he does? He's the best, by far. He is somewhat struggling against OKC, but with guys like Ibaka, Perkins, and Collison that should be expected.
    PelicansReport.com Sim League
    New Orleans Hornets General Manager

  21. #346
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by SharlieCheen View Post
    big men take more time to develop than smaller players. He will get stronger and better in a couple of years.
    i also believe that rivers also needs some time but they both did spend only one year at college so give em time man.
    Lillard is doing great but in a couple of years Davis could be one of the greatest.
    And something else we shouldn't forget is that Davis hasn't been a "big man" all that long. He's been a big for what, 2, 3 years? I've already said that we shouldn't be trying to make him a perimeter player. I mean the occasional jumpshot is nice. It's one that a lot of people didn't think he had. He needs to be in the position to succeed though. That goes for all players, especially rookies. At the moment, no plays are really ran for him.

  22. #347
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Well with a 5-16 record theres a lot to complain about isnt there.

    And yes i love Anthony DAvis his my man, i just see a team using him poorly atm.


    This is what I see too. It's up to coaches to put a player in his best position to use his best strengths. I really hope that one day, we will see this team at full strength. I'd like starters that can start at least half a season with each other. I'm tired of the in and out shuffling of the lineups. We never seem to get any good chemistry because of the injuries and the lineup shufflings.

  23. #348
    We have had 34 different starting lineups since Monty and Dell took over. It's time for some consistency.

  24. #349

    Re: Pelicans (5-15) vs Thunder (17-4) 12/12/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    We have had 34 different starting lineups since Monty and Dell took over. It's time for some consistency.
    Next year will mark the last time the team will have teamwide roster changes (until the eventual rebuild). The consistency in the lineup will probably only come in the 2014-2015 season. Our high lottery draft pick should be starting by then and we should be competing in the playoffs. Next season will still be volatile since I anticipate that draft pick joining us as well as another starter through FA.

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •