Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Tweet From The VooDoo (Possibly But Probably Not Hornets Related)

VooDoo Interesting Tweet From The VooDoo (Possibly But Probably Not Hornets Related)

New Orleans Voodoo ‏@aflvoodoo
    Time to change some things
    Wanted to give the people that love the name VooDoo (and I'm among them) a chance to think the name could move since that's what I thought when this tweet came out minutes ago.

While I doubt they're giving up the name... and am fine that the Hornets will become Pelicans... figure I'd let you guys discuss this amongst yourselves since... well... the tweet is what it is.
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Change the name to Mudbugs, give Voodoo to Benson!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Interesting indeed. I sure hope we can life the VooDoo name from them. If it weren't taken by an AFL team no one cares about, it'd be the perfect name.

Hall of Famer
    Hoping that we get Voodoo instead of Pelicans as well. Voodoo just sounds better suited as an NBA name than Pelicans.

Actually, how about the Hornets rebrand to Voodoo, and the AFL team rebrands to Pelicans or Breakers? Best of both worlds.

HR Sim League

Alright I finally accepted Pelicans, but only because VooDoo looked like it would never happen. If this pertains to the Hornets, that'd be ****ing amazing
    Last edited by LoCo89; 12-12-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

maybe they can go back to the Battlewings like they were in Shreveport/Bossier

Quote Originally Posted by rebelman View Post
    maybe they can go back to the Battlewings like they were in Shreveport/Bossier
    or bring back the New Orleans Night

EDIT: that was an AFL team that played games in the Superdome in the early 90s

Voodoo sounds right imo. "Mavericks vs. VooDoo" " Heat - VooDoo" just sounds good as a name overall. Who cares about its meaning? The name is a great brand for a team. Way better than Pelicans
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Hopefully it's in the bones. Then the Voodoo can become the New Orleans Reapers, with a Grim Reaper logo, the arena could still be the Graveyard for both teams.

lol, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the VooDoo getting assigned(no idea what that means) a 3 time all AFL DB, and not re-branding, but I can dream

How is signing a new player constitute changing things? You usually mention change when you're getting a new car, moving to a new house...not buying a new TV.

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    lol, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the VooDoo getting assigned(no idea what that means) a 3 time all AFL DB, and not re-branding, but I can dream
    assinged = signed. All player transactions go through the league so it's classifed as that.

Interesting Tweet From The VooDoo (Possibly But Probably Not Hornets Related)

New Orleans breakers is the best name for them IMO

That seems like an odd way to welcome a new player. If Voodoo wasn't a rebrand candidate and I was trying to figure out what this meant, I'd assume they were planning to make changes to their twitter account/website/social media, not the team.

How about New Orleans Battalion?

Call me crazy but think of this from a business standpoint.

VooDoo was unwilling to sell at whatever price Benson offered, perhaps assuming the offer would increase and they can get more out of him. Benson isn't one to budge too much so he floats rumors of them choosing a name like the Pelicans to show the AFL team that they missed their chance to sell the name. They reconvene with new offers and more determined to make a deal with Benson showing he's not bluffing.

Obviously far fetched, just thinking outside the box a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    Call me crazy but think of this from a business standpoint.

VooDoo was unwilling to sell at whatever price Benson offered, perhaps assuming the offer would increase and they can get more out of him. Benson isn't one to budge too much so he floats rumors of them choosing a name like the Pelicans to show the AFL team that they missed their chance to sell the name. They reconvene with new offers and more determined to make a deal with Benson showing he's not bluffing.

Obviously far fetched, just thinking outside the box a little bit
    Doesn't seem far fetched at all. This is definitely how a business arrangement would work. Not that this is the case just that it makes sense.

However this is a huge conclusion based off of a vague tweet.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Oh please. Pretty please. PRETTY PLEASE!!!!

Heh. That would be amazing. But they could counter that given the high disapproval of Pelicans, they can still bargain a little higher for the name.

Hell, the owners would have too much to gain by selling the name, you'd figure. There's almost zero risk. The AFL is almost defunct anyway.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I think that tweet has been deleted.

Looking at the Arena Football League's wikipedia, there's a history of name changes and city changes, almost 1-2 a year so I also don't understand why they won't sell the name to get some much needed profit in a league where they don't get 9,000 attendees a game

that was in late november... wouldn't seem to make sense if they tweeted about it two weeks late

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I think that tweet has been deleted.
    It was deleted, really makes you wonder.

Would they delete a tweet over false rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Would they delete a tweet over false rumors?
    Or true ones.

Thread Information