Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jose Calderon

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I would like to add Calderon but it seems like it's really hard to work salary wise unless we're going to give up Gordon for him which I would not do.

What do you guys think about Vasquez and Aminu to Minny for Williams and Ridnour.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Actually now that I think about it an Eric Gordon for Jose Calderon + Terrence Ross deal is appealing. Ross has struggled but he's still a rookie and was the 8th pick in the draft. We'd basically have 3 top 10 picks from this draft going forward along with Anderson and insane cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    What do you guys think about Vasquez and Aminu to Minny for Williams and Ridnour.
    I don't see why Minnesota would ever do that but it doesn't make much sense for us anyways. Williams isn't a good fit with Davis/Anderson. Unlike someone like Josh Smith, Williams can't guard 3's.

Jose Calderon

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    I don't think adding Williams would do any good for us, just put him in a crowded front court. I don't think he has had much improvement playing at the three either, I wouldn't pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Actually now that I think about it an Eric Gordon for Jose Calderon + Terrence Ross deal is appealing. Ross has struggled but he's still a rookie and was the 8th pick in the draft. We'd basically have 3 top 10 picks from this draft going forward along with Anderson and insane cap space.
    You think we should just do a salary dump for Gordon? We can't even think about moving him until this year is over, and we see how he plays with Anderson, Davis, Rivers, and Co.

Stay away from terrance ross.. I follow the raptors a lot and the guy has bust written all over him. He is just skin and bones right now and doesnt have the frame to really put on more muscle and weight. He has short arms and he has an aminu type demeanor on the court which i hate. His shot release is also slow and not nearly as smooth as what i tought it was coming out of college.

Valanciunas is the only player on that team i would take but he is the one guy they wont trade.

Ye Ross looks awful, i mean people complain about Rivers being a bust, Ross is a tonn worse and Rivers is actually really looking good last few games.

Probably isn't a good idea to trade a younger version of Calderon for a much more expensive expiring version of Calderon.

rivers is gonna be a westbrook type of PG, not as good a scorer but better smarter passer, give him time in 2 years he will be a freak

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Probably isn't a good idea to trade a younger version of Calderon for a much more expensive expiring version of Calderon.
    BINGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Would be an upgrade, but he's more likely looking to go to a contender.

Im finding it impossible now to think of a decent trade deal that would benefit both teams for vasquez.. argh

Its obviously vasquez inconsistent play and Aminu overall crap play thats weighing this team down alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Im finding it impossible now to think of a decent trade deal that would benefit both teams for vasquez.. argh

Its obviously vasquez inconsistent play and Aminu overall crap play thats weighing this team down alot.
    Thats because Vasquez is a great 2nd option at point. We need a starting point, and you'd be correct to assume we don't have a lot of valueable trading peices. Excluding Rivers, AD and Anderson what do we have that anyone would want? Smith?? Lopez?? Gordon?? (No one would offer any value for a guy that can't get right) Matter of fact: Thats a perfect nickname for Gordon CAN'T GET RIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    I would like to add Calderon but it seems like it's really hard to work salary wise unless we're going to give up Gordon for him which I would not do.
    I'm pretty sure we can trade Rashard Lewis' contract.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    I'm pretty sure we can trade Rashard Lewis' contract.
    We cannot, and we cannot trade Matt Carrol's contract either. Basically that 17 million is dead money and we can not use it in any kind of a deal.

As sad as it is, I dont think Toronto even takes Gordon for Calderon and Ross. I think the Hornets would have to take on Bargnani's horrible contract, or at the very least, Amir Johnson. If I could get Calderon and Ross for Gordon, I would jump at it. Add another top 5 pick and go into next summer with 30 mil in cap room, the youngest team in the league and no bad contracts on my books. Try to find more young vets like Dell did with Ryno and Lopez this summer.
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If Ross was as good IRL as he was in NBA 2K he'd be challenging for rookie of the year. That dude does not friggin' miss.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I know Johnson was involved in something really silly the other night, but I would still take him in a minute....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Jason smith> Amir Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We cannot, and we cannot trade Matt Carrol's contract either. Basically that 17 million is dead money and we can not use it in any kind of a deal.

As sad as it is, I dont think Toronto even takes Gordon for Calderon and Ross. I think the Hornets would have to take on Bargnani's horrible contract, or at the very least, Amir Johnson. If I could get Calderon and Ross for Gordon, I would jump at it. Add another top 5 pick and go into next summer with 30 mil in cap room, the youngest team in the league and no bad contracts on my books. Try to find more young vets like Dell did with Ryno and Lopez this summer.
    When does that money come off the books? I could see Demps doing something along the lines of absorbing a veteran contract with that money, rather than spending in FA. I could definitely see us taking on Horford's contract if Atlanta makes a play for Paul and Howard and need the cap space. Flip Lopez and Vasquez for Bledsoe and Odom.

Bledsoe, Rivers, Roberts
    Gordon, Rivers
    (Muhammad/Poythress/Porter), Miller
    Davis, Anderson
    Horford, Smith

Yeah, I can get down with that roster.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    That doesn't sound right. I'm not saying you're wrong, because I was assuming, but if Boston could trade retired Rasheed Wallace's contract, why can't we trade bought out contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    That doesn't sound right. I'm not saying you're wrong, because I was assuming, but if Boston could trade retired Rasheed Wallace's contract, why can't we trade bought out contracts?
    Totally different situations. Wallace was still on the Celtics payroll, his salary was current. Lewis's option was declined and he is now on the Miami Heat. Caroll was bought out.

I understand you are skeptical because you want to believe that we have these assets to use, but I promise you that we can not trade those contracts. This is dead money on our books and it comes off at the end of the year.

This is why I was always confused by the Warrick for Carroll trade and then the subsequent buyout. Demps said he did it "as a favor to Warrick". That is nice and all Dell, but if that is true, it is a poor tactical decision. Having an expiring that can help contracts match in a trade is more valuable to a franchise than doing right by a scrub player who never did anything for the franchise.

If the deal was done to save 500K, then that is fine- but just say that. Don't try to sell it as a favor to a player when not having that contract can come back to bite you in the butt during the trade period

gordon for calderon and ross? U wanna trade one of the best SGs in the league for an old expiring calderon and ross who looks absolutely terrible? Not only would toront do that trade, they'd then trade gordon back to use for ross and calderon then do the whole thing over again.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. Regarding the Warrick/Carrol trade and buyout, that was all about the money IMO. You save $500k just with the salary difference and then whatever he Carrol was bought out for. I think it was you that pointed out Demps paid for his own extension since that was announced not too long after.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    gordon for calderon and ross? U wanna trade one of the best SGs in the league for an old expiring calderon and ross who looks absolutely terrible? Not only would toront do that trade, they'd then trade gordon back to use for ross and calderon then do the whole thing over again.
    Go to a Raptors board and ask their fans. Raptors wouldn't do that. Plus when we interviewed Colangelo at Team USA workouts, he thought it was crazy that a guy who played 9 games got a max deal- he wouldn't pull the trigger.

And it is not about trading Gordon for Ross and Calderon, it is about getting that contract off the books, removing the drama, and setting the roster up for long term success. Ross and 12 million in cap room vs. Gordon. Which is better long term for this franchise? If you believe that this will be the last Gordon injury, then this decision is obvious. But if you believe like I do that Gordon will be injured every year for numerous games, then you cut the cord now because his continual absence will hurt the ability to make strides as a cohesive team. You look around the league and teams that grew from a young team with potential to a greatness (Thunder, early 2000 Spurs) did so because their starters played together 75-80 games per season.

Roles were defined and they didn't continually change. If Gordon misses 20-30 games per year, you will then be forced to ask Rivers and Davis to play differently for those games, then assume new roles when he comes back, then change again, back and forth. Not a recipe for success IMO.

Thread Information