• Pels

5 15.15%
  • Pelicans

20 60.61%
  • Neither

8 24.24%

Thread: Pels vs. Pelicans

Pels vs. Pelicans

How about a compromise. Go the Knicks route and officially call them the New Orleans Pels if this god awful tag has to be used. I can sleep better and go back to work with Pels.

Also, no need to evoke a Pelican figure in the logo. Just go with the tri-fleurs like you see in the New Orleans flag. You don't see a pair trousers in the Knicks logo and the Thunder just has a...thing with a basketball for theirs. The Montreal Canadiens has them on their jerseys. The main logo can just be the middle of this with the word Pels worked in somehow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewOrleans.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	4519

I can stop seeing a shrink with that. Thoughts?
    Last edited by luckyman; 12-11-2012 at 11:25 PM.

I hate Pels as a permanent name. As a nickname to the nickname? Sure. But no to legit name.

Pels vs. Pelicans

Horrible idea

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Pels is just awful, but will end up being the nickname by necessity (no other choices)

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Pels is just awful, but will end up being the nickname by necessity (no other choices)
    Well yeah. How can what this team will come to be called be awful? The baseball team was called that and I'm sure it wasn't awful then.

It's much less a mouthful and frankly sounds better. Less cartoonish/kiddie. New York Knicks instead of Knickerbockers all over again. I can deal with that. I vote yes.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Pels is god awful. At least teams like the Knicks and Mets have a ring to it. Pels makes me vomit.

Pels simply sounds plain dumb.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    So instead of being short for something it would just be Pels for no reason? Come on man.
    Wherehappens.

I would go with Cans as the nickname to a nickname. Pels is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Well, considering we call the Hornets "Bees", that opens up pretty much anything as a nickname. Birds, Gulls, Mammals, whatever.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Let's rename the team to the New Orleans GET OVER ITs

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    won't get over it until it's officially announced as the name. I'll continue to pout like a little kid until then.

What about New Orleans "Penile Implants" ? We can call them NOPI for short!

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    won't get over it until it's officially announced as the name. I'll continue to pout like a little kid until then.

Waste of a thread.

If we're named the Pelicans, broadcasters and media pundits will definitely refer to us as the "Pels."

Quote Originally Posted by NDHornet View Post
    Waste of a thread.

If we're named the Pelicans, broadcasters and media pundits will definitely refer to us as the "Pels."
    Despite all the "awful" talk, the fact they will be called Pels is obvious. The point was to make the short version the official name to be put on merchandise and logos and broadcasts and such. The short version, however, ywould still stand for Pelicans.

Its the best compromise I could come up with for those like me who don't like the long version at all. That and using the tri fluers from city flag as the logo.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    I hate Pels as a permanent name. As a nickname to the nickname? Sure. But no to legit name.
    This.

Thread Information