.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 69

Thread: Another Trade / Grantland Pelicans Article {merged}

  1. #26

  2. #27
    For...ev...er... The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,337
    Also, the reason that Cavs sounds okay and Pels doesn't is because people have said Cavs for years. They just need to get used to saying Pels. People really don't realize the only reason the name "sounds weird" is because ESPN hasn't said it a billion times over the past year.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Also, the reason that Cavs sounds okay and Pels doesn't is because people have said Cavs for years. They just need to get used to saying Pels. People really don't realize the only reason the name "sounds weird" is because ESPN hasn't said it a billion times over the past year.
    Yep. It's all about being used to it.
    It doesn't matter how many times we say it / explain it / rationalize it, people will still complain.
    C'est la vie

  4. #29
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Also, the reason that Cavs sounds okay and Pels doesn't is because people have said Cavs for years. They just need to get used to saying Pels. People really don't realize the only reason the name "sounds weird" is because ESPN hasn't said it a billion times over the past year.
    These people have been beating a dead young cow so long that my lower legs hurt. I'm sure the same is true for you JNR.
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  5. #30
    Hall of Famer Emilio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by moeda3rd View Post
    Finally a sensible national article on the Pelicans name. You got to have an aggressive looking pelican to pull it off though.
    Why a team's name/logo has to be intimidating? I've heard a lot of people who think like this.

  6. #31
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    This is an example of picking on things that don't matter as a substitute for picking on things that do matter motivated because of arbitrary taste in many cases, and sense of loss and others, and I'm sure some really bad reasons too.

  7. #32
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    honolulu
    Posts
    233
    what about P-cans? our mascot could be a huge pecan. intimidation for all players with nut allergies

  8. #33
    Hall of Famer daybreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    673
    New Orleans Pelicans

    New Orleans -> NOLA, Pelicans -> 'cans

    NOLA'cans

  9. #34
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Yep. It's all about being used to it.
    It doesn't matter how many times we say it / explain it / rationalize it, people will still complain.
    C'est la vie
    I'm convinced this "getting used to it/growing on me" chatter is a form of Battered Wife/Nazi Occupation syndrome. All about how humans try to rationalize and deal with a crappy situation.

    Thank goodness the consequences don't compare. Still, I'm glad nothing has been made official. I still got hope.

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Also, the reason that Cavs sounds okay and Pels doesn't is because people have said Cavs for years. They just need to get used to saying Pels. People really don't realize the only reason the name "sounds weird" is because ESPN hasn't said it a billion times over the past year.
    OR

    Maybe one sounds ok and one sounds awful. Why are you trying to convince other people why something is ok and something isn't?

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by rob808504 View Post
    what about P-cans? our mascot could be a huge pecan. intimidation for all players with nut allergies
    How about our fans who are allergic to nuts?

    Such as myself.....

    "I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I'm convinced this "getting used to it/growing on me" chatter is a form of Battered Wife/Nazi Occupation syndrome. All about how humans try to rationalize and deal with a crappy situation.

    Thank goodness the consequences don't compare. Still, I'm glad nothing has been made official. I still got hope.
    Battered Persons Syndrome
    The abused thinks that the violence was his or her fault. (i don't believe pelicans is my fault)
    The abused has an inability to place the responsibility for the violence elsewhere. (no violence)
    The abused fears for his/her life and/or the lives of his/her children (if present). (i don't fear for pelicans)
    The abused has an irrational belief that the abuser is omnipresent and omniscient. (I don't believe Benson to be godlike just awesome)

    I'll have to deem your hypothesis false yet again. Just like the previous "groveling / bootlicker" ideas. One of these days we'll make it to a theory.

    I am sensing you may be a "half empty" type of guy? I still love ya though. Gimme a hug.
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 12-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.

  13. #38
    Hall of Famer cgrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hammond, LA
    Posts
    757

    best thing i've read re: rebranding

    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...rnets-pelicans

    New Orleans offers the purity of a small market, with big-market adoration for its teams and players. An NBA team should work there. If anything, the Pelicans can belong to Anthony Davis more than the Hornets ever could. The name change is probably the first step for Davis to take ownership of this team. He's building the Pelicans, not salvaging the legacy of the Hornets. With the Benson sale, David Stern has ensured that the NBA will have roots in New Orleans. Now we'll see if New Orleans wants to wrap its arms around the Pelicans.

  14. #39
    For...ev...er... The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    OR

    Maybe one sounds ok and one sounds awful. Why are you trying to convince other people why something is ok and something isn't?
    It's not why something is okay and something isn't. It's just language, and the way we process language. Does the name LeBron sound odd to you? It's not a name you heard everyday before the early 2000s. But now that you know it, now that it is part of our everyday lives as basketball fans, it's normal. I will not let anyone convince me that Knicks is a better basketball name than Pelicans. It has very little to do with the name itself and very much to do with the way humans perceive change and new things.

    If you are dead set against ever learning to like the Pelicans name, that's your business, but I really do believe that in a few years, when the Pelicans are a playoff contender and there are red, gold, and navy jerseys splattered across the city, it won't be nearly as distasteful to people as it is now. I mean, I still think Thunder is a bad name, but I'm not nearly as vocal about it as I was, because we get used to things. That's how the world works.

  15. #40
    RIP HunnyB iNolaNightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bestbank
    Posts
    1,900
    LOVE IT
    "It’s important to us to bring in good people, people who can fit in the locker room and people you want to root and cheer for. People that want to win. We’re trying to build for the long haul.” -Dell Demps

  16. #41
    For...ev...er... The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,337
    I really enjoyed that article. Very well reasoned and well written.

  17. #42
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Battered Persons Syndrome
    The abused thinks that the violence was his or her fault. (i don't believe pelicans is my fault)
    The abused has an inability to place the responsibility for the violence elsewhere. (no violence)
    The abused fears for his/her life and/or the lives of his/her children (if present). (i don't fear for pelicans)
    The abused has an irrational belief that the abuser is omnipresent and omniscient. (I don't believe Benson to be godlike just awesome)

    I'll have to deem your hypothesis false yet again. Just like the previous "groveling / bootlicker" ideas. One of these days we'll make it to a theory.

    I am sensing you may be a "half empty" type of guy? I still love ya though. Gimme a hug.
    You brought up Benson owning the team and it's "HIS TEAM". As far as the rebranding in my eyes, that's irrelevant. Thus, I bestowed the terms grovelinv/boorlicker. You service your clients (fans), not the other way around.

    As far as the syndromes, I thought I made it clear I thought the rationalizations contained elements of them, not the full blown syndromes.

    Got to read a lil harder bud. I don't do male hugs but...high five!

  18. #43
    CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Paul's balls
    Posts
    2,946
    I don't understand how people can argue whether or not it's a "good" name. There is no intelligible argument to be had. You're either content with the name, hate it or love it. Not a fan of the name at all but I'll force myself to like it if it's my only option.

  19. #44
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,690
    Great article, and made me love the name even more.
    Wherehappens.

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    You brought up Benson owning the team and it's "HIS TEAM". As far as the rebranding in my eyes, that's irrelevant. Thus, I bestowed the terms grovelinv/boorlicker. You service your clients (fans), not the other way around.

    As far as the syndromes, I thought I made it clear I thought the rationalizations contained elements of them, not the full blown syndromes.

    Got to read a lil harder bud. I don't do male hugs but...high five!
    Oh you did which is why i posted that. In my opinion it contains zero elements of battered persons syndrome.

  21. #46
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Oh you did which is why i posted that. In my opinion it contains zero elements of battered persons syndrome.
    You got it. Still no high five?

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    You got it. Still no high five?

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    It's not why something is okay and something isn't. It's just language, and the way we process language. Does the name LeBron sound odd to you? It's not a name you heard everyday before the early 2000s. But now that you know it, now that it is part of our everyday lives as basketball fans, it's normal. I will not let anyone convince me that Knicks is a better basketball name than Pelicans. It has very little to do with the name itself and very much to do with the way humans perceive change and new things.

    If you are dead set against ever learning to like the Pelicans name, that's your business, but I really do believe that in a few years, when the Pelicans are a playoff contender and there are red, gold, and navy jerseys splattered across the city, it won't be nearly as distasteful to people as it is now. I mean, I still think Thunder is a bad name, but I'm not nearly as vocal about it as I was, because we get used to things. That's how the world works.
    Maybe most will get use to it or maybe they won't. My point has always been why accept a name we may come around to accepting when we can get a name we like for sure now.

    Even you say you dislike Thunder til this day(I never had a problem with Thunder personally). I've heard the same about the Wizards and Bobcats. I can't say for sure how i'll feel 5,10, or 20 years from now, but I can tell you right now I hate the name and a large(what appears as the majority) amount of people agree with me.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    I don't understand how people can argue whether or not it's a "good" name. There is no intelligible argument to be had. You're either content with the name, hate it or love it. Not a fan of the name at all but I'll force myself to like it if it's my only option.
    I'll force myself to accept it if it's final. However I'm going to continue to express my displeasure with it until I've gotten it out of my system. LOL

  25. #50
    The Franchise Tip-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cricketer's Arms Hotel
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Seriously, the best Pro-Pelican argument:"Dive-bombing from monster heights, zipping down straight into the water and coming up with a meal"...or scooping up and swallowing a live pidgeon at City Park.
    Last edited by Tip-Off; 12-11-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •