Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Another Trade / Grantland Pelicans Article {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Maybe most will get use to it or maybe they won't. My point has always been why accept a name we may come around to accepting when we can get a name we like for sure now.

Even you say you dislike Thunder til this day(I never had a problem with Thunder personally). I've heard the same about the Wizards and Bobcats. I can't say for sure how i'll feel 5,10, or 20 years from now, but I can tell you right now I hate the name and a large(what appears as the majority) amount of people agree with me.
    What if we get a name you like for sure, but other people don't like it? I think most people, in general, have to get used to any name. My entire point is that I don't agree with people hating the name because "it is an awful name" or "it sucks." Obviously anything like this is a matter of opinion, but no one who dislikes the name wants to consider the fact that maybe they don't like it because it's new and different, and humans typically hate and fear change.

I definitely think you're well within your rights to dislike the name. But these reactions are raw, even a week later. Things like this take time to process.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    What if we get a name you like for sure, but other people don't like it? I think most people, in general, have to get used to any name. My entire point is that I don't agree with people hating the name because "it is an awful name" or "it sucks." Obviously anything like this is a matter of opinion, but no one who dislikes the name wants to consider the fact that maybe they don't like it because it's new and different, and humans typically hate and fear change.

I definitely think you're well within your rights to dislike the name. But these reactions are raw, even a week later. Things like this take time to process.
    Ok I have a better understanding of your meaning.

I can only speak for myself. The only name I love was never in contention so my aim isn't love it's just being ok with. Pelicans of all the potential names is the only one I feel this strongly against. For me it has nothing to do with "new-ness" or it's uniqueness it's just an awkward name IMO. I was on the bandwagon for changing the name.

New England Patriots is a mouthful as well.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Ok I have a better understanding of your meaning.

I can only speak for myself. The only name I love was never in contention so my aim isn't love it's just being ok with. Pelicans of all the potential names is the only one I feel this strongly against. For me it has nothing to do with "new-ness" or it's uniqueness it's just an awkward name IMO. I was on the bandwagon for changing the name.
    Not trying to start mess, but what name were you in favor of?

Quote Originally Posted by Tip-Off View Post
    Seriously, the best Pro-Pelican argument:"Dive-bombing from monster heights, zipping down straight into the water and coming up with a meal"...or scooping up and swallowing a live pidgeon at City Park.
    Compare to the agony a Pelican goes through to eat a pigeon to a Peregrine Falcon. One is done with a surgeon's precision and the other...well you've seen it.

Seriously, that ain't a pro-Pelican argument at all.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Compare to the agony a Pelican goes through to eat a pigeon to a Peregrine Falcon. One is done with a surgeon's precision and the other...well you've seen it.

Seriously, that ain't a pro-Pelican argument at all.
    It's like Jason Vorhees vs Jason Bourne. Both are killers. But which one is the monster?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's like Jason Vorhees vs Jason Bourne. Both are killers. But which one is the monster?
    Matt Damon

can't believe you just compared Jason to Matt Damon.....

More like Jason Vorhees vs. Bride of Chucky. One slices your neck while the other...well you might die still expecting the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Matt Damon

can't believe you just compared Jason to Matt Damon.....
    Matt Damon? Psh. I read the book. And in my head he looked nothing like Matt Damon.

Matt Damon? Psh. I read the book. And in my head he looked nothing like Matt Damon.
    I would hope not. If i was reading a book and Matt Damon appeared in my brain.....time for a new book.

As you survey the syllables and sentences
    The question that I'm merely tryin to pose is as simple as me sayin
    But what about repentance?
    What about the tension?
    What about you eating dinner in the devil's kitchen?
    But what about repentance?
    What about committing the same sin
    over and over again and again and ah..
    Got stopped in the mall the other day
    Heard a call from the other way
    Where I just came from
    Some ... was sayin' sum'n
    Talkin' bout "Hey, man, you rember me from school?"
    Naw, not really, but he kept smilin' like a clown
    Facial expression lookin' silly
    And he kept asking me
    "What kind of car you drive? I know you paid
    I know you got beaucoup billfolds
    From all the songs that y'all done made"
    And I replied that I'd been going through the same things that he had
    True, I've got more fans than the average man
    But not enough loot to last me to the end of the week
    I live by the beat like you live check to check
    If it don't move yo' feet than I don't eat,
    So we like neck to neck
    Yes we done come a long way like them slim ... cigarettes
    From Virginia, this ain't gon' stop so we just gonna continue...

Not trying to start mess, but what name were you in favor of?
    The only name that fit all my criterias was "Sinners". I liked "Soul/s" a lot also.

I wanted something original, catchy, edgy, had some connection to the city and/or it's history, and something that played well off of the Saints while it was able to stand alone as it's own brand. My biggest concern was obviously it may have been too edgy for a large group and any possible negative religious under tone. I read the definition of a Saint. It's someone who saves sinners. This team was saved by the owner of the Saints. Anyways like I said never was in serious contention.

New Orleans Outkasts.

I'm cool with that.

Anywho. New Orleans Soul was also my alternative if they wanted to go with something like Spirit.

New Orleans Outkasts.

I'm cool with that.
    Yes!

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    The only name that fit all my criterias was "Sinners". I liked "Soul/s" a lot also.

I wanted something original, catchy, edgy, had some connection to the city and/or it's history, and something that played well off of the Saints while it was able to stand alone as it's own brand. My biggest concern was obviously it may have been too edgy for a large group and any possible negative religious under tone. I read the definition of a Saint. It's someone who saves sinners. This team was saved by the owner of the Saints. Anyways like I said never was in serious contention.
    So NO as a whole in your mind is "Sinners"? That would sure go a long way to quell the nationwide notion that we all hang out on Bourbon St. every night That's not connective to the city, that's reinforcing a bad stereotype, IMO.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    So NO as a whole in your mind is "Sinners"? That would sure go a long way to quell the nationwide notion that we all hang out on Bourbon St. every night That's not connective to the city, that's reinforcing a bad stereotype, IMO.
    It speaks to a history of the city. New Orleans was Vegas when it was just an area in the middle of the desert. I can understand why anybody wouldn't want to glorify that part of the city present and history.

To me "Sinners" has the potential to have a "Runnin' Rebel" or "Raiders" type national appeal to it. Ofcourse there was a chance for it to backfire and I wasn't in here or anywhere trying to convince people to accept the name. It's my personal favorite

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Got stopped in the mall the other day
    Heard a call from the other way
    Where I just came from
    Some ... was sayin' sum'n
    Talkin' bout "Hey, man, you rember me from school?"
    Naw, not really, but he kept smilin' like a clown
    Facial expression lookin' silly
    And he kept asking me
    "What kind of car you drive? I know you paid
    I know you got beaucoup billfolds
    From all the songs that y'all done made"
    And I replied that I'd been going through the same things that he had
    True, I've got more fans than the average man
    But not enough loot to last me to the end of the week
    I live by the beat like you live check to check
    If it don't move yo' feet than I don't eat,
    So we like neck to neck
    Yes we done come a long way like them slim ... cigarettes
    From Virginia, this ain't gon' stop so we just gonna continue...
    Me and you
    Yo momma and yo cousin too
    rollin down the strip on vouges
    comin up, slammin cadillac doo's

BOMBS OVER BAGHDAD!

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    New Orleans Voracity

Mascot- Pelican

Slogan: "We're hungry. Are you?"

Thread Information