Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Monty may make more lineup changes, starting with the guards

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Monty may make more lineup changes, starting with the guards

After the game, Williams threatened to make more lineup changes. For the second consecutive game Xavier Henry started ahead of Al-Farouq Aminu at small forward. Henry was held to five points, while Aminu came off the bench scored two points in almost eight minutes.

Williams has not been pleased with the defensive play of his guards, Greivis Vasquez and Roger Mason Jr. They combined for 14 points on four-of-11 shooting against Miami.

"I may have to make another change because our guards aren’t guarding the ball defensively the way that we need to,’’ Williams said.
    Could be back to Rivers? Or Miller?

Or Gordon?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Going back to Rivers is pretty much the only move I can see making sense. Vasquez can't go to the bench right now. Cuz that would mean starting Roberts. No in favor of that.

Gordon coming back would be straight outta Compton I mean left field

I would be interested to see:

Rivers
    X
    Miller

Have we tried that combo yet this year?

I'm up for trying anything to be honest.

1: Roberts
    2: Greivis
    3: Henry
    4: Davis
    5: Lopez

Give it a shot, may not work but what would it hurt.

I dont see what other tinkering can be done. Rivers head is still swimming. Roberts plays worse than GV as a starter.

Just have to make due with young or inferior guards.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    I would be interested to see:

Rivers
    X
    Miller

Have we tried that combo yet this year?
    This! I'd love to see Rivers exclusively at point.

I'd rather see Rivers and Miller start at the 1 and 2, and have Vasquez and Roberts run the second unit's 1 and 2. Give Mason a seat on the bench.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I'd like it if they started Vasquez/Roberts/X/Anderson/Lopez. Let Vasquez guard 2's and Roberts guard points.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I'd rather see Rivers and Miller start at the 1 and 2, and have Vasquez and Roberts run the second unit's 1 and 2. Give Mason a seat on the bench.

If its a change he wants...let rivers go all in with the point guard role. He has shown to pass up multiple shots to get his teammates involved so far. So I say let him learn on the fly full throttle. We have one of the worst records in the league and with our injury woes we may not improve to much in the win loss column. So I say let rivers and darius miller get their time now.

Monty may make more lineup changes, starting with the guards

Switch rivers and Roberts. They play like the other position anyway

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbywmccarty View Post
    Switch rivers and Roberts. They play like the other position anyway
    Agree! Roberts lack superior vison and the passing ability to create for others but a he is a deadly shooter. While Rivers has good vision, can pass and maybe better shooting the three of the dribble.

To be honest, when Davis comes back, I wouldn't mind seeing:

1.Rivers
    2. Henry
    3. Anderson
    4. Davis
    5. Lopez

I've always been an advocate of Ryno playing alongside RoLo and AD. Anderson doesn't deserve to (and shouldn't) head back to the bench, his scoring consistency is far too valuable. Plus, with that frontline, we'd be absolutely beastly on the glass. Since AD's inside D wasn't incredible to start the year, I'd like to see him have a run guarding SF's on the wing.

I've been criticized for this idea before, but that was before everyone knew what Ryan could do. As a former magic fan, I can honestly say my favorite lineups were when the Magic played three bigs (Howard, Bass, Anderson in 2010-11; Howard, Big Baby, Anderson in 2011-12). The lineup absolutely dominated. Granted, we don't have Dwight here in New Orleans, but we have Davis, who can guard wings well.

In terms of the guards, I'm happy to let Henry and Rivers get a run until EJ comes back. Then, I'd like to see him and Vazquez starting, as I believe GV would play well alongside Gordon.

Just opinion - may not be popular, but oh well.

Anderson is better at PF because he can draw out the opposing team's big man and spread the floor. He does deserve to start but I doubt it happens. I would rather he play with Miller and Mason since all 3 can spread the floor allowing the PG to penetrate.

I'm ok with Mason starting since he can shoot and is shooting ok. He doesn't defend well like Miller and I'm ok with Miller starting at the SG, but I really don't want to see Anderson alongside Aminu on the floor.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

we need to trade vasques while his name is still hot since cp3 said he will be an all star soon u could get somehting for him. Then start rivers at the point the rest of the season. Who cares if he does horrible, he will learn from it get great experience to speed up his process and we will get a great draft pick, who cares about this season, next year if we had a healthy gordon, davis and big name FA we would be very good. I could see gordon averaging 24ppg next year and davis avg 20-10

I honestly really have no clue what Greivis is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I honestly really have no clue what Greivis is worth.
    2nd round pick or a former 1st round who is average like him.

I'd like to see how a lineup of Grevis, Roberts, and rivers could do to close out a game. (Obviously this wouldn't work against a team with a top 3).

I like how aminu isnt playing much anymore. He really is awful as a wing player, he just can't shoot a lick, not an effing lick. He was a 4 in college and should still play as a big. He's got the length to play inside and is a good rebounder but we have enough bigs. I really see no reason to ever play him and I'm sure we couldn't trade him or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    2nd round pick or a former 1st round who is average like him.
    doesn't that just hurt you inside?

Looks like he is going to do it again:

After 12 games, Henry is averaging 4.5 points.

``He didn’t play well in Miami; let’s go ahead and clear that up,’’ said Williams, referring to Henry. ``He played decent against Memphis and I thought against Miami he took a step back. He had one nice drive to the basket, but outside of that it was a struggle. We may have to look at other options. If I take him out of the starting lineup, it doesn’t mean it is his fault. We’re trying to find a good combination.’’

Williams said he is considering shaking up his lineup again to get a better ballhandler on the floor to play alongside point guard Greivis Vasquez because teams are trapping him frequently.
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...h_mont_92.html

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Unless he's starting Roberts too, who else can he start but Rivers?

I say go with Miller, Mason, and Rivers starting. Miller and Mason will help Anderson spread the floor and it will allow Rivers to penetrate more and kick it out to the open shooters. We would have 3 awesome perimeter shooters on the floor.

It's Rivers or Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Looks like he is going to do it again:

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...h_mont_92.html
    He was thinking what i was thinking. There's no other ballhandler on the floor at that time except Vazquez and he is constantly handing the ball and trying to create. Which is something he's not very good at. So you gotta start Rivers to take pressure off Vasquez. Also **** yeah start my son Rivers at PG. Let's the Tanking begin. If Roberts starts then that means Rivers is going to run PG off the bench
    Ballin

Oh wait, Davis is back.

I would stick with Henry or Aminu and let Miller come off the bench with Anderson. Also, I would start Roberts and Vasquez together.

1st unit

C - Lopez, PF - Davis, SF - Henry/Aminu, with Vasquez and Roberts in the backcourt

2nd Unit

C - Smith, PF - Anderson, SF - Miller, SG - Mason, PG - Rivers.

Thread Information