Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Davis Expected Back This Week

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    So, if Gordon is actually injured and is trying his hardest to rehab, so he can get back on the court, how exactly is he "pulling this BS?" Seems like the poster above thinks Gordon is faking an injury, otherwise, his post doesn't make any sense.

I understand venting to an extent, but the extent has worn out. These babies have been crying all season. They think we don't realize it sucks that Gordon is hurt? I think everyone is a little angry that he is injured, but crying about it every other day isn't going to make anything better. Enough is enough.
    Most of the ribbing is that he has a low pain threshold and is made of glass. Is this inaccurate? Might seem unfair for someone who is injury prone, but if you make the big dollars you need to be on the court.

His attitude in July toward the franchise didn't help matters either. There's a ton of things he could be doing right now to get fans on his side in this socially networked new world. He does none.

Ribbing justified.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Most of the ribbing is that he has a low pain threshold and is made of glass. Is this inaccurate? Might seem unfair for someone who is injury prone, but if you make the big dollars you need to be on the court.

His attitude in July toward the franchise didn't help matters either. There's a ton of things he could be doing right now to get fans on his side in this socially networked new world. He does none.

Ribbing justified.
    You aren't ribbing him though. He doesn't read this message board. You guys are just annoying the crap out of the other posters here who agree with you that it sucks that Gordon isn't playing yet don't want to cry about it every day. You guys need to grow up. This is professional athletics, **** happens. Players get injured all the time. It sucks, but it is what it is. Unless Gordon is traded, he is our guy for the next 3-4 years, so deal with it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    After he play some guys will be praising him as if Jesus arose before December 21. He really is a top 4 SG IMO, only if he can stay healthy and hopefully after this injury he can do so. Anyways our training staff sucks, so is it a way we can sign a regular trainer from the Suns as our head trainer?

You aren't ribbing him though. He doesn't read this message board. You guys are just annoying the crap out of the other posters here who agree with you that it sucks that Gordon isn't playing yet don't want to cry about it every day. You guys need to grow up. This is professional athletics, **** happens. Players get injured all the time. It sucks, but it is what it is. Unless Gordon is traded, he is our guy for the next 3-4 years, so deal with it.
    How you know he doesn't read it? He's got LOTS of free time.

He probably has family members that rib him for always being hurt so much. Good lord it ain't that serious.

I hope Santa's elves are working hard on his new knee for Christmas.

Unless Gordon is traded, he is our guy for the next 3-4 years, so deal with it.
    Boom!

I understand this sentiment, but then what would be "in bounds" on the board? Aminu doesn't read this board and is stinking up the joint lately. Should we not discuss his poor play?

Some people think that if Gordon had more intestinal fortitude, then he would be playing right now, just like some people feel like if Aminu spent all summer working on his jumper, instead of his Tumbler page, then he would be playing well and thriving. To me, if it is okay to spend thousands of pages talking about players deficiencies over the years, then it is in bounds to pound on Gordon for his mental makeup and soft nature.
    @mcnamara247

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Exactly what I was coming into this thread to say. People are just beating a dead horse with Gordon.

I think discussing it is different than grousing, then refusing to acknowledge anything that is contrary to an opinion formed in seconds, or one formed.long ago, or, as happens here, insulting someone who has a different opinion or draws a different conclusion.

Just trying to make sure others are as frustrated as you is no way to behave in life or on a board. If it's not fun or informative in some capacity, then that should be out of bounds.

But what do I know?

Its really hard to say whether Gordon has low pain threshold or not since we don't know the exact diagnosis. The only thing we can say is that his injuries are a concern and makes his durability highly questionable just like last season when both sides were discussing whether to sign Gordon to his max or not strictly based on his potential.

I don't dislike him, but honestly, I don't mind the Gordon ribbing. Not because of his injuries, but mostly how he acted when he signed the offer sheet from Phoenix. He doesn't deserve any benefits of the doubt from this fanbase. His missing games only make it worse, especially getting a huge contract based solely on his potential instead of production.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I thought we were supposed to expect Davis back in 8-11 weeks??....

Quote Originally Posted by Make It Rain View Post
    I thought we were supposed to expect Davis back in 8-11 weeks??....
    That was only according to someone's "research."

Here's the quote you are disparaging:

"8 weeks seems to a glass-half-full recovery period for typical sort of stress reaction in the ankle, with 16 weeks being the glass-half-empty counterpart. The extent and location of Davis’ injury and how well the treatment takes will determine if he can beat the 8 week `typical’."

http://www.hornets247.com/2012/11/25/same-ol-situation/

This was based on typicals. This is not based on specific knowledge of Davis' situation. If you have better research, please present it. If not, rather than poke fun at someone doing work you are too lazy or too incapable to do, perhaps be thankful that the injury was not as bad as the typical injury, that he reported it before it got worse, and that the staff got him back on the court in a good amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Exactly what I was coming into this thread to say. People are just beating a dead horse with Gordon.
    And as long as this team has to continue to lose to teams who aren't missing their big money people, while ours has played less than 10 with a "sore knee" (while never displaying any pain or limping on the court), that horse will continue to get beat and beat and beat and beat.

Or how about moderators here just delete any post with that subject matter. Go all out Nazi. How 'bout that?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I understand this sentiment, but then what would be "in bounds" on the board? Aminu doesn't read this board and is stinking up the joint lately. Should we not discuss his poor play?

Some people think that if Gordon had more intestinal fortitude, then he would be playing right now, just like some people feel like if Aminu spent all summer working on his jumper, instead of his Tumbler page, then he would be playing well and thriving. To me, if it is okay to spend thousands of pages talking about players deficiencies over the years, then it is in bounds to pound on Gordon for his mental makeup and soft nature.
    There is a difference between discussing "poor play" and concocting conspiracy theories.

Honestly, we have no clue whether Gordon wanted to play or not. To be honest, it wasn't his call. Demps said from the get go that he wouldn't play Gordon unless he was 100%. Gordon wanted to stay and rehab here (according to Demps), but Demps sent him to LA because a) he could concentrate fully on rehab, which he has been doing 24/7, and b) Demps wanted the training staff to focus on the team (not just Gordon).

With regards to what is "in bounds," I would agree with this:

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Just trying to make sure others are as frustrated as you is no way to behave in life or on a board. If it's not fun or informative in some capacity, then that should be out of bounds.
    We've all had our fun over the past few months ribbing Gordon. I feel like it was warranted, to an extent, because of what Hornets78 said. Everyone got mad at him for the Phoenix ordeal. That was a real **** fest, but the guy was just trying to ensure his max deal, so I can't be too mad at him. Since then, Gordon has done everything right with this organization.

Once again, it isn't his fault he got injured. He is rehabbing for 8 hours every day, so it's not like he is sitting on his couch collecting a paycheck. He wants to play, so we should support him.

I'll also say he's getting the benefit of playing in a small market. Peopl really aren't paying that much attention to it except us poor stiffs down here. If this happens in L.A., N.Y., Chicago, Boston, he'd be getting roasted even worse on TNT, ESPN, Yahoo, Fox Sports and the like. What happens on this board is kid's play compared to what would happen in a larger market.

Bynum plays 15 games this year, then after an entire off-season, starts next season with the same crap, he'll wish he never went to Philly I guarantee.

Now, I expect Davis back Tuesday. Wouldn't surprise me if he plays heavy in the B2B either.

Anthony Davis Expected Back This Week

C r. 

Monty didn't give a specific date for the return, so I'd remain open-minded.

I do hope he's back Tuesday, no doubt, if only to give us the best chance of avoiding "we lost to the worst team in the NBA" threads.

There is a difference between discussing "poor play" and concocting conspiracy theories.

Honestly, we have no clue whether Gordon wanted to play or not. To be honest, it wasn't his call. Demps said from the get go that he wouldn't play Gordon unless he was 100%. Gordon wanted to stay and rehab here (according to Demps), but Demps sent him to LA because a) he could concentrate fully on rehab, which he has been doing 24/7, and b) Demps wanted the training staff to focus on the team (not just Gordon).

With regards to what is "in bounds," I would agree with this:

We've all had our fun over the past few months ribbing Gordon. I feel like it was warranted, to an extent, because of what Hornets78 said. Everyone got mad at him for the Phoenix ordeal. That was a real **** fest, but the guy was just trying to ensure his max deal, so I can't be too mad at him. Since then, Gordon has done everything right with this organization.

Once again, it isn't his fault he got injured. He is rehabbing for 8 hours every day, so it's not like he is sitting on his couch collecting a paycheck. He wants to play, so we should support him.

I want to agree with this, but here is my retort:

Would Kobe Bryant have missed this many games with the same exact injury and/or level of pain?

The reason I bring this up is because this is exactly what we unconsciously do when we bring up "poor play". We bring it up relative to good play. We don't want a guy who misses 6 of 10 shots and gets 4 turnovers per game, we want a guy who only misses 5 of 10 shots and turns the ball over twice per game. If you are mad about poor play, it is because you want a guy who performs more like another player you have in your mind.

I feel like you can make the same case with Eric Gordon. I complain about him because another shooting guard would have taken the same circumstances and played/performed.

Again, this all goes back to whether you think he is injured to a point that no human could play through or if you think there are players who could have gone about this a better way and played more than Eric has over the past year. If you believe the latter, I think it is the same as criticizing all the other things we criticize on the court

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I want to agree with this, but here is my retort:

Would Kobe Bryant have missed this many games with the same exact injury and/or level of pain?

The reason I bring this up is because this is exactly what we unconsciously do when we bring up "poor play". We bring it up relative to good play. We don't want a guy who misses 6 of 10 shots and gets 4 turnovers per game, we want a guy who only misses 5 of 10 shots and turns the ball over twice per game. If you are mad about poor play, it is because you want a guy who performs more like another player you have in your mind.

I feel like you can make the same case with Eric Gordon. I complain about him because another shooting guard would have taken the same circumstances and played/performed.

Again, this all goes back to whether you think he is injured to a point that no human could play through or if you think there are players who could have gone about this a better way and played more than Eric has over the past year. If you believe the latter, I think it is the same as criticizing all the other things we criticize on the court
    It depends... Kobe would have wanted to play, but do you think management would have let him play with a 10% quad? I seriously doubt it. I think the most common mistake people are making is that they are putting it on Gordon, as if it was his decision, but really, it's on Demps, and I'm 100% in agreement with Demps' course of action.

Is he injured to where he can't play? I mean, could you play with a 10% quad? I doubt it... Besides, with a leg that weak, he would be begging for a torn ligament if he tried to play an NBA season on it. You know that. Demps has said multiple times that he decided to freeze Gordon until he was 100% healthy. People keep claiming it's a "sore knee," and while it's fun to mess around like it's not a real injury, that couldn't be further from the truth. I don't know why people are so mad at him for being injured (that isn't directed at you, by the way).

I'd say Gordon has something more severe than just a sore knee (let's throw out as many things possible, he has a broken knee, a broken heart, a broken leg, a broken...?), nobody knows. But it's pretty clear that we were lied to in regards with what is wrong. I'd also say using Kobe in any debate is a poor choice. There is nobody else like him.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Yeah, it's actually both. Oh the irony!
    Speaking of ironies, maybe thats what EJ needs. A nice iron knee.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Here's the quote you are disparaging:

"8 weeks seems to a glass-half-full recovery period for typical sort of stress reaction in the ankle, with 16 weeks being the glass-half-empty counterpart. The extent and location of Davis’ injury and how well the treatment takes will determine if he can beat the 8 week `typical’."

http://www.hornets247.com/2012/11/25/same-ol-situation/

This was based on typicals. This is not based on specific knowledge of Davis' situation. If you have better research, please present it. If not, rather than poke fun at someone doing work you are too lazy or too incapable to do, perhaps be thankful that the injury was not as bad as the typical injury, that he reported it before it got worse, and that the staff got him back on the court in a good amount of time.
    It was widely reported by the organization that the time frame would be no where near 8-16 weeks. We have seen Davis working before games for over a week. Now, that may not have been too hard of a workout; but he was still doing basketball activity on it. There is a difference between what the organization has been telling us about EG and AD. We are able to see Davis go through workouts with the team. I believe last week it was reported he practiced with the first team.

Secondly, maybe I am too lazy to do so called "research" or maybe I just don't care enough. But I can assure you that I am not incapable of doing so. The fact that you do your "research" and expect everyone to agree with your claims is what bothers me. I think you need to give the members of this board a little more credit. Not everyone who comes on here has the intelligence of a caveman, and just because we don't agree with you doesn't make us less intelligent than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Make It Rain View Post
    It was widely reported by the organization that the time frame would be no where near 8-16 weeks. We have seen Davis working before games for over a week. Now, that may not have been too hard of a workout; but he was still doing basketball activity on it. There is a difference between what the organization has been telling us about EG and AD. We are able to see Davis go through workouts with the team. I believe last week it was reported he practiced with the first team.

Secondly, maybe I am too lazy to do so called "research" or maybe I just don't care enough. But I can assure you that I am not incapable of doing so. The fact that you do your "research" and expect everyone to agree with your claims is what bothers me. I think you need to give the members of this board a little more credit. Not everyone who comes on here has the intelligence of a caveman, and just because we don't agree with you doesn't make us less intelligent than you.
    Where did anyone say anything about agreement? I don't care if anyone agrees. I've said many a time that I hope Davis comea back far sooner than typical. So I hope "I'm wrong," as if me quoting medical articles makes me "wrong." (it does not)

And don't make it out like I just think think everyone is stupid. I do not. I do, however, find it extremely rude misquote someone, then insult them for saying what was misquoted.

You did not do this, by the way.

I'd also wait until Davis comes back and gives two solid games, hopefully a back to back, to get excited. Gordon was doing all of this before he got shelved. With this presenting, to a degree, as pain after an activity, one may may be needed to tell if he's recovered.

I want Davis back as much as anyone.

People are entitled to their opinions and Gordon has given the naysayers a TON of ammunition. It is a trend that has developed throughout his career. He has a tendency to stay out MUCH longer than estimated on every injury. Many feel he just cannot deal with any level of pain.

Thread Information